How do you support your claim? Do you leave open a possibility?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
How do you support your claim? Do you leave open a possibility?

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: IT IS YOU WHO MAKES ME HAPPY!
Date: Dec 21 2006 6:56 AM


hi my names jhonatan,
i really didnt know there was such an extreme goup like the one you guys have. but the truth is im not really surprised. In a sense i respect your beliefs but do not agree with them. If I talk to you about God i dont know if i am waisting my time of you you wont even ready any further. but i have chosen to look through your page. i do believe that blasphemy againt the Holy Spirit is a sin and an unforgivalble one. But I hav also read other parts of the Bible where God says that nothing can seperate us from His love. I do believe God loves us all and doesnt look at us like sinners, or else y would he go through so much trouble for "sinners" by sennding his onle Son. I dont think i need to go in dept with you, because i expect-you know what you claim to be false. and you must know to the extreme that you believe your own ideas.
I would like to know why? with evidence do you soport your claim? why do you deny the exitence of God or any god?
thank you for your time. im jst somone that wants to know... i hope you can right me back. we all seek truth.

God bless!
jhonatan bedoy

 

Jonathan I deny the existence of gods known to man. They seem to be copies of each other and means to express knowledge about the world that we didn't or still don't know. Today with research we can see that many religions make inaccurate claims about our origins. I do however leave open the realm of possibility that we were created by something, I just don't think we would have any knowledge of what that thing was. It's just as likely that we were created by aliens that weren't created by anything than any other kind of god that would've created us, in fact the aliens are more likely. Keep in mind that assuming something created us, that would open a bigger question, what created that thing. If you can admit that an amazingly powerful entity can just always exist without needing a creator, is it so hard ti imagine that less complex things could have just always existed?

Thanks for your rather pleasant email and your honest questions. I encourage you to never stop researching what you do and don't believe.

In Reason,

Brian Sapient

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


V1per41
V1per41's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2006-10-09
User is offlineOffline
Question Sapient, Do you

Question Sapient,

Do you guys have form letters already made up?  It seems that you are constantly getting the same questions over and over again.  I feel like with the number of questions you get it might be a smart decision to make generic responses for each question and just point them in that direction.

Of course, I do enjoy reading your responses as you quickly and methodically demolish theists arguments. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan


BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
Posts: 85
Joined: 2006-02-22
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: Question

V1per41 wrote:

Question Sapient,

Do you guys have form letters already made up?  It seems that you are constantly getting the same questions over and over again.  I feel like with the number of questions you get it might be a smart decision to make generic responses for each question and just point them in that direction.

Of course, I do enjoy reading your responses as you quickly and methodically demolish theists arguments. 

That's not a bad point. Some kind of FAQ might eliminate some of the repeated questions. Though, all they have to do is take five minutes to look around and see that the answers are already here anyway.

 

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song


liebling
liebling's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2007-02-02
User is offlineOffline
frankly not surprised

how apropos that not even the modern day Christians know what blaspheming the Holy Spirit is. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is NOT denouncing God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit. Its a whole other animal...

What blaspheming the Holy Spirit really is can be summed up in this:

A gay guy named Chris gets beat to a pulp by right wing lunatics from, lets say Kentucky, and then some guy, Sam-- from the church these guys belong to-- somehow realizes the awfulness of the crime and goes to help Chris, bring him to the hospital and take care of him. He pays for the medical bills and sets him on his way. As a result, the church he belongs to excommunicates him because he helped someone they believe God disdains.

 

That is blaspheming the Holy Spirit: calling what is good, evil.

 

Guess what people do it the most?

Hint: not athiests

 


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
liebling wrote: how

liebling wrote:

how apropos that not even the modern day Christians know what blaspheming the Holy Spirit is. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is NOT denouncing God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit. Its a whole other animal...

I know the argument you are going to make, and I even agree with it, but in some sense, I think it's not quite a 'whole other animal'

Quote:
 

 

What blaspheming the Holy Spirit really is can be summed up in this:

A gay guy named Chris gets beat to a pulp by right wing lunatics from, lets say Kentucky, and then some guy, Sam-- from the church these guys belong to-- somehow realizes the awfulness of the crime and goes to help Chris, bring him to the hospital and take care of him. He pays for the medical bills and sets him on his way. As a result, the church he belongs to excommunicates him because he helped someone they believe God disdains.

 

That is blaspheming the Holy Spirit: calling what is good, evil.

 

Guess what people do it the most?

Hint: not athiests

 

 Again, I agree with your view, and in fact, it's the reason why I never made my own 'blasphemy challenge' video.... But, that said, I can see how it is conceivable for an atheist to 'blaspheme'  -  denying that the holy spirit even exists does not quite equate with holding that Jesus' powers was demonic in origin, but in a sense, denying that the spirit even exists would be rejecting that the spirit is 'good' in that you are denying it can even be a referred to as good at all..... i.e. to be good requires that you first exist.

So in a sense, I think your version is accurate... but somewhat of a quibble...  And in the end, the point of the challenge is to overcome fear based tactics of religion.

 

 

 

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


liebling
liebling's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2007-02-02
User is offlineOffline
A quibble you say? maybe

A quibble you say? maybe so, but the argument is not my focus, and you clearly understood my point. 

 Yes, I can understand the point of the blasphemy challenge being a form of release from the fear based doctrine imposed by the church.  I agree 100% that believing in something either for the sake of believe in it, or because of fear is illogical, deluded, and quite sad.  

Personally speaking, I am more interested in observing what "Christians" say in response to the members on this site than anything else.   


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
liebling wrote: A quibble

liebling wrote:

A quibble you say? maybe so, but the argument is not my focus, and you clearly understood my point.

Yep. I withdraw 'quibble' and replace it with "True, correct, but not necessarily the most important issue for the blasphemy challenge.

Quote:
 

Yes, I can understand the point of the blasphemy challenge being a form of release from the fear based doctrine imposed by the church. I agree 100% that believing in something either for the sake of believe in it, or because of fear is illogical, deluded, and quite sad.

Personally speaking, I am more interested in observing what "Christians" say in response to the members on this site than anything else.

Ok.  

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.