Hi, I'm Master Jedi Dan

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, I'm Master Jedi Dan

Hi, I'm Master Jedi Dan. I'm undecided as to which is true, atheism or theism. I'm here to try to find some of the explanations for life, the answers to the big questions. I'm from a "Christian" family, but recently (as in past few years) I've just kind of been floating around between theism and atheism. If I act like a Christian or an atheist, it's because I'm trying to get answers out of the other side. I already have the other side of life figured out (i.e. what I'm going to be (compsci), where I'm going to go to college, etc.), so I figured that I would delve into this topic and find out the ultimate truth. Both groups have yet to prove to me that they have all the answers...

Master Jedi Dan

P.S. - What the fuck is up with you putting me down as a theist? I mean, hell, I've barely been here a day and you already label me as something I'm not. I gonna throw around Christian answers and atheist answers to see what the other side will say. I'm UNDECIDED.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, I'm sure people

Welcome,

I'm sure people didn't mean to put you down as a theist although you may have seemed like one if you were giving theistic arguments. I don't know I haven't read any of your posts before.

I'm sure you'll find everything you need here. Take a lot of time to think about it yourself as well. Question the grounds for faith, try to think critically about the grounds of knowledge at all! How is it that we can know anything for sure anyway? But don't let anyone, including us tell you what to think.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You're labeled a theist

You're labeled a theist because your avatar is an apple symbol so it is implied you use a mac.

If you think a mac will be good enough for web surfing and other tasks then you have more faith than the Pope. Laughing

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tagged your account. 

I tagged your account.  There is no "undecided".  You either believe in a god or you do not.  You can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist, but it is dishonest to say simply "undecided".  I based my decision on other posts you have made and I apologize if I have offended you.  That was not the intent.  The badge is simply a way of identifying your position on things.  If you do believe in a god then you should be proud to have the tag even if you are uncertain of your knowledge of god.  I would be proud to have an atheist tag but since this is an atheist website, it would be redundant.  If I were to visit a theist website, I would expect to have an atheist tag even though I primarily doubt the existence of a god.

I can remove the tag but you will need to make your position a little more clear.  If you choose to leave it and after staying a while and reading the threads, you examine your beliefs and find that you do not believe in a god, feel free to contact me or one of the moderators to have it removed.

(Admittedly, Cpt Pineapple's reason is better than mine though!) 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan wrote: Hi,

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

Hi, I'm Master Jedi Dan. I'm undecided as to which is true, atheism or theism. I'm here to try to find some of the explanations for life, the answers to the big questions. I'm from a "Christian" family, but recently (as in past few years) I've just kind of been floating around between theism and atheism. If I act like a Christian or an atheist, it's because I'm trying to get answers out of the other side. I already have the other side of life figured out (i.e. what I'm going to be (compsci), where I'm going to go to college, etc.), so I figured that I would delve into this topic and find out the ultimate truth. Both groups have yet to prove to me that they have all the answers...

Master Jedi Dan

P.S. - What the fuck is up with you putting me down as a theist? I mean, hell, I've barely been here a day and you already label me as something I'm not. I gonna throw around Christian answers and atheist answers to see what the other side will say. I'm UNDECIDED.

If you and darth_josh have a lightsaber battle, can I watch?

jce is right.  Either you believe in god or you don't; however, on my second reading of The God Delusion, Dawkins argues that "Temporary Agnosticism in Practice" is a valid position to hold for a short period, whereas "Permanent Agnosticism in Principle" is not.  I imagine during the phase of saying, "Gee, I am really confused and don't know!" you may waffle back and forth a bit.

Most of the atheists on this site describe themselves as "agnostic atheists" or "weak atheists." 

Check this out: http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Initial thoughts...

@ Cpt_pineapple

Dude, Macs beat *windows* PC's any day. Macs are starting to take over the market share. I use a Toshiba with XP and Debian Linux. This is beside the point of this forum though, so I'll give you a couple of links on this subject.

My 20 reasons why Macs are better than *windows* PC's

A very good podcast on Macs vs. PC's

To get to the point though, I think right now I'm in the "Temporary Agnosticism in Practice" stage, thanks to Iruka for pointing this out. All I want to do is ask questions, examine the evidence, look at the facts, and make a decision. It seems like a logical thing to do, rather than just jump in with one camp. I will be making a decision sooner or later.  Iruka, feel free to watch any lightsaber battles I have...lol. Laughing out loud

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
JCE, I had removed the tag

JCE,

I had removed the tag before you posted.  I didn't want to take the time to explain and discuss how if someone was undecided, in all cases they are still atheist or theist.   You can add the tag back if you feel it's accurate or just leave it off, as maybe the O.P. will end up seeing the light of reason in the near future on this board based on his proclaimed stance of "undecided."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan wrote: @

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

@ Cpt_pineapple

Dude, Macs beat *windows* PC's any day. Macs are starting to take over the market share. I use a Toshiba with XP and Debian Linux. This is beside the point of this forum though, so I'll give you a couple of links on this subject.

My 20 reasons why Macs are better than *windows* PC's

A very good podcast on Macs vs. PC's

ORLY?

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Ok, whatever

@ Cpt_pineapple

Have you ever written a line of code in your life?  Do you even know what a Mac truly is?

I fail to see where the video leads us in debating Macs vs. PC's.  All I saw is some punk trying to sing with a bunch of hot girls.  Is that the best you could do?  Give me some real arguments and I'll believe you.  As in hard, solid proof.  Not some loser who doesn't know how to sing and is completely off subject.

If you want to debate this in full force, the PC/Mac Smackdown forum is HERE.

Sapient, do you have any links to this argument about undecidedness?  I guess if it's that way you can just label me as a "theist" for now, and I'll let you know if I change, so I'm not constantly having to tell someone that I'm still undecided. (I'll try to make things easier for everyone).

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline

Master Jedi Dan wrote:
@ Cpt_pineapple

Have you ever written a line of code in your life? Do you even know what a Mac truly is?

Programmers aren't the end-all and be-all of what makes a good computer. I should know, I'm a programmer. I'm just waiting for FreeBSD to overtake the market. After all, we do have the coolest logo. Linux is for penguins.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
My computer works. That's

My computer works. That's all I care about, I do not know any programming beyond BBCode and a little HTML. For my purposes Mac or PC I don't care. Both are adequate.

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Head....desk

@ rexlunae 

I didn't say that programmers are all computers need...there's hardware too, of course.  I was just questioning his knowledge of computers.  You're gonna spend eternity waiting for FreeBSD to take over the market.  The average user isn't smart enough to use it, let alone know that operating systems other than Windows exist.  You may have the coolest logo in your opinion, but having a marketshare smaller than that of Windows 98 isn't going to get you anywhere.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: JCE, I had

Sapient wrote:

JCE,

I had removed the tag before you posted. I didn't want to take the time to explain and discuss how if someone was undecided, in all cases they are still atheist or theist. You can add the tag back if you feel it's accurate or just leave it off, as maybe the O.P. will end up seeing the light of reason in the near future on this board based on his proclaimed stance of "undecided."

Fair enough - thanks for taking care of this. The theist tag was applied only after reading posts from the theist slant. If he wants the tag fine, if no one else thinks it applies that is also fine.

By the way - Welcome Master Jedi Dan!! Sorry for the confusion. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Master Jedi

Welcome Master Jedi Dan!

Macs rule!  I don't need no smackdown to prove it, either.  I "converted" 3 or 4 years ago and I'll NEVER go back to a PC.

What convinced me?  "Macs just work."  Yup, I don't have all that confusing "how to install something" because Macs just work.

I digress, though.

I'm glad you're here and I hope that our discussions and debates help you figure out what you're looking for.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

canofbutter
Silver Member
canofbutter's picture
User is offlineOffline

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

@ rexlunae

I didn't say that programmers are all computers need...there's hardware too, of course. I was just questioning his knowledge of computers. You're gonna spend eternity waiting for FreeBSD to take over the market. The average user isn't smart enough to use it, let alone know that operating systems other than Windows exist. You may have the coolest logo in your opinion, but having a marketshare smaller than that of Windows 98 isn't going to get you anywhere.

So how long will I have to wait for OpenBSD to take over the market? Smiling

Seriously, pretty much any OS can be made easy to use (as long as the OEM sets it up right). I have my mother using FreeBSD and she's the absolute least computer-savy person I know...

Why yes, I can believe it's not butter!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan wrote: Hi,

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

Master Jedi Dan

Welcome Jedi. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey guys! Question: Whats

Hey guys!

Question: Whats one thing PC Users can do that Mac Users can't(besides playing World of Warcraft)?

Answer: Shut the fuck up about their computer.

Welcome to our forums man. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!