detection v agnosticism

ledskof
User is offlineOffline
detection v agnosticism

Until someone shows evidence that god has been detected, what is the point in entering the path of belief? Must we disprove every negative that has never been detected?

So why are you agnostic?

There are too many people abusing the word agnostic and I just want to help draw a line in there somewhere.

Are you agnostic becase you think that knowing the existence or nonexistence of a god is beyond human capabilities?

If so, why are you trying to prove the existence of a god in the first place?

What evidence is there for a god? I only see a few books which disagree on the subject and in all: zero evidence. All claims that I have seen about gods are not scientific. They are presumptuous, circular, religious, and even contradictory. Even the agnostics I tend to argue with disregard these things as evidence, so what is being used as evidence in your agnostic choice? If you don't even see evidence for something why are you elevating it to this ridiculous status of undisprovable?

If something has never been detected, is untestable, intangible, and doesn't fit into the model of the universe that we understand then it either:
1. Doesn't exist.
or
2. Has never been detected

If you don't see evidence that god has been detected why are you agnostic about it? If god has never been detected then religion is here for nondivine reasons.

If you do see evidence that god has been detected then why don't you just believe god exists. If you believe god has been detected, you believe god exists. That would make you theist.

Also, to the agnostics who say "I don't believe and I don't disbelieve because we aren't capable of knowing."

Why are we not capable of knowing? Why do you make the assumption that we must understand and have discovered everything there is to know about the universe to know whether or not a god exists? Just by saying that you've made a belief on the subject and decided that until we do completely explore the last gem of information and existence in the universe will we know if god does not exist. What's funny is, you've also decided that we can't even know if god *does* exist until we understand every last spec of the universe... It's just so absurd and pointless that I don't get it. It's very religious.

Vorax
Vorax's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agnostics are IMHO what I

Agnostics are IMHO what I like to call "hopefuls" -- they hope there is a god because they want to have an afterlife for them and their loved ones - they don't like the idea that it's lights out and don't want to face that thought. On the other hand, they don't see any evidence for the gods described by religions so they don't take that belief either.

Faith is black and white, you have it or you don't. Saying "I don't know" in this is an answer out of fear not of reason. If you *feel* there is a god, then you are a theist and you do believe something and have a *faith*, if you don't feel there is a god and see no reason for one then you are an Atheist. All else is not wanting to face your mortality. None of us knows if there is a god, but theists and Atheists have taken the question to a conclusion where Agnostics are afraid too do so.

Nothing against them tho, I don't think its particulary important to go all the way with the question...if hope of afterlife gets you to sleep at night, go for it! Just don't claim you "know" there is such a thing unless you have proof ...and they aren't Smiling

"All it would take to kill God is one meteorite a half mile across - think about why." - Vorax

Visit my blog on Atheism: Cerebral Thinking for some more food for intelligent thought.