Introducing Largo

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introducing Largo

Hello everyone! My username is Largo (a contraction of my first and last names: Larry Gott). On YouTube I'm Largo64 . I started questioning my Christian upbringing when I was about 14, but thought of myself for a long time as a Christian with questions. By the time I was 30, I finally was able to use the word "agnostic" applied to myself. I'm still not comfortable with the word "athiest" as applied to me, not because I think there is anything wrong with it, but because I really think it requires a certainty I don't feel. In my opinion the existance of an infinite being is unknowable to a finite mind. This is the approach that both Ingersoll and Russell took, and it seems to me adequate for myself. With Russell, though, I think the idea of a god is so unlikely that I am much more comfortable with atheists than I am with theists. Hence my coming to this site. I have written a few skeptical essays and just snippets of thought on religion, and I hope I might share them here and get responses from others as to whether or not I have made my points.

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the RRS.

Welcome to the RRS.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. You might want to

Welcome. You might want to read up on some of the stuff here about atheist vs agnostic.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome sir!!

Welcome sir!!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Largo!  I would

Welcome Largo!  I would like to read some of your essays - thanks in advance for sharing them.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Largo.  We're

Welcome Largo.  We're really glad you're here and look forward to your contributions!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Welcome.

MattShizzle wrote:
Welcome. You might want to read up on some of the stuff here about atheist vs agnostic.
Thanks for the suggestion. . Do you have a link or two? I'm probably just clumsy, but I haven't found a search function yet.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Here's the best one (it was

Here's the best one (it was posted along the side)

http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Largo wrote: MattShizzle

Largo wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. . Do you have a link or two? I'm probably just clumsy, but I haven't found a search function yet.

You get access to a search function by becoming a member (see the information on the Home Page - you can click on the Home link at the top of any RRS page)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Here's

MattShizzle wrote:

Here's the best one (it was posted along the side)

http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

Thanks for that link. I have vascillated for a long time, holding that lacking knowledge was actually closer than it was to lacking belief (or faith). I am completely without faith. And it seems right and rational to say not that I am without belief as well. So, henceforth I shall identify myself an atheist.

I think a lot of the confusion in my mind rose from my anger against the god described in the Bible.  I realize now that that anger was misdirected. I have never had any difficulty dismissing all the other gods of history. I've really been angry at the perceived conseuences of the belief in the biblical god born of unreasoned and unreasoning faith. I have been angry at a god which no more exists in reality than Zeus or Horus when I should have directed my ire at the faith that sustains the idea of that god in the minds of so many others.