Jesus Camp

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Camp

At one point in the movie, the pastor says something like, "There have to be a lot of liberals who are shaking in their boots."

She couldn't be more right. The thing is, all the shit in the movie has been going on for 25 years. When I was a kid, my family went through a phase where they went to churches like this. I've seen pretty much everything in that video firsthand.

Jesus Camp would make a great gift for anyone who's on the fence about why religion is dangerous.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very, very good movie. 

Very, very good movie.  Completely terrifying for me.  I don't see a lot of this stuff going on in my life.  I don't see how anyone can watch that and say that isn't child abuse.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
That particular camp has

That particular camp has been closed.  There was a huge negative backlash... they claimed there was an act of vandalism at the camp.

Pastor Becky said that it obviously wasn't the right time for that type of ministry.  They are expecting to be closed for at least a few years.

Of course, this does not mean that the general mentality depicted is going away.  I'm certain this type of activity will continue in some shape or form.

At least we can take some comfort in the fact that many Americans were outraged by what they saw in the film.  Perhaps rationality is starting to spread.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That movie was a disgusting

That movie was a disgusting display of brainwashing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've found myself humanly

I've found myself humanly incapable of finishing watching it.  I feel physically ill at many points during the documentary.

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the other hand, there

On the other hand, there was a bit of comedy in the first 10 minutes. When that fat woman was talking about fat and lazy people. She not look in a mirror lately or something?

Note: I have nothing against people of a heftier weight, but when one of them calls others fat it opens the door to ridicule.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
There were some great

There were some great comical moments in the film...

How about Pastor Becky banishing Satan from the computers and electrical wiring?

I also loved the look on that woman's face when the little girl approached her in the bowling alley saying that God asked her to speak to her.

Becky was telling them about how sin starts off cute and innocent but then grows... she swings around a stuffed lion and says, "you've got a tiger by the tail!"

The end was also funny, when the little girl tries to preach to the older black gentlemen and walks away saying they must be Muslim.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't find any part of

I couldn't find any part of that movie funny.

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote:

22jesus22 wrote:
I couldn't find any part of that movie funny.

Agreed.

EDIT: Finally finished watching it.  I'm ashamed of my country on behalf of the religious right.

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I'm ashamed of is that

What I'm ashamed of is that probably 25-30% of the people in this country would watch that video and say, "Yeah, so what's the problem?"

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Y Hambydammit wrote: What

Y

Hambydammit wrote:

What I'm ashamed of is that probably 25-30% of the people in this country would watch that video and say, "Yeah, so what's the problem?"

I'm inclined to agree with you. I haven't had a chance to see more than the trailers, but everything shown in there I had experienced or saw first hand. I know people who think this is just fine, in fact pray for such faith as a child has....shame on them. Inflicting that fear, and sadness, and the burden of judging the morality of others.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins