Is anyone here NOT a Jesus Mythicist?

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Is anyone here NOT a Jesus Mythicist?

I asume that not all of you hold to the Mythicist position.  The history of the Christian Church is well charted out, and the text is the strongest in all of antiquity.  We at least have to say that the scriptures we have are as close as you are going to get to any original documents in antiquity. For those of you who have left the Church, my question is, Why?  What really caused you to decide it was all a lie?  And have you studied the history of it?  From hearing about some of your backgrounds, I get the idea that many of you had fundy parents and you decided it was bullcrap.  I don't think it's a good representation of the real Jesus and real Church we see in the scriptures, so I understand that line of exit.Do you still believe in spirituality?  Let's discuss.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

So how do hard-bodied animals just suddenly burst on the scene? And why don't we see rapid advantageous variation like we did back in the day?

"Hard bodied animals" are simply multicellular Eukaryota, to understand multicellular Eukaryota, you must understand the origin of Homeobox sets, which are genetic switches 180 base pairs long on average which control the positioning and arraying of cells in multicellular Eukaryotic organisms, for the assemblage of bodied organisms. I spent most of the time from after my PhD thesis to my post-doc years studying the actions and mechanisms of Hox genes. The modular nature of them is indicated in the homologous relationship that exists between them. I suggest you verse yourself in the basics of the inverse proportionality nature of phylogenic differentiation, diversity and physiological/genetic complexity, and the modular mechanisms associated with multicellular Eukaryota resulting.

Interesting. Can you suggest some good books on evolution that would appeal to a lay person? I am very interested in natural history.

In his book, Sean Carroll wrote that Eukaryota share traits of both bacteria and archaea. I was re-reading that part when I lost the book. I think it fell under the bed where it is irretrievable for me (disability issues).

Damn. I've lost a phone, several books and other important stuff to that bed. I'll have to get someone to move it for me soon.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the marriage of archaea and bacteria had something to do with mitochondria and the cells in plants that allow for photosynthesis: the energy centers. I was just re-reading that when I lost the book. Smiling

Maybe it isn't under the bed...I hope not. Smiling

Anyway, another book on evolution (including the Homeobox genes) would be wonderful. My education was completely religious so I was denied an education on evolution. I should sue! Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Even

deludedgod wrote:

Even though I disagree with his model of group-selection, there is also the late, great Stephen Jay Gould, Rocks of Ages. Daniel Dennett Darwin's Dangerous Idea, the best book on evolution written by a non-biologist, The Origin of Species is very good, albeit lacking in modern understanding, and Huxley's book, the name of which I don't remember.

I am familiar with all these names, so i should try to find some of their books, I suppose.  Huxley...wasn't he Darwin's attack dog or some such? Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:
  You see the desire to know God is unique to man. If it is coincidence then you should shut this website down. If however it is by God's design, well, you should shut this website down. There are plenty of other proofs along these same lines; 

These are proofs?

heyeverybody, you really need to educate yourself.  You don't even know what constitutes a proof. Sad  Your thinking is unclear and you see everything through the delusion of faith without considering the evidence laid out for you by others.  Surely deludedgod has shown you that you don't know the first thing about evolution.  I can assure you that you are equally ignorant of many other things.  We all are.

The first step to knowledge is acknowledging your own ignorance. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

yeah, again, sorry I haven't figured out that quote button....

Susan wrote a how-to post, but I can't find it at first search, so I'll just tell you.

To begin a quote you need to type this without the spaces:

[ quote ]

To end a quote you type this (without the spaces):

[ / quote ]

To quote a specific person, you would type this (sans spaces):

[ quote = Flying Spaghetti Monster ]

You can leave spaces in the person's name. You end the quote the same way.

That's as in-depth as I want to get tonight. I'm tired. Sticking out tongue

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is much more

This is much more interesting than talking with that other guy, and orders of magnitude more lucid... 

Quote:

Interesting. Can you suggest some good books on evolution that would appeal to a lay person? I am very interested in natural history.

Developmental biology does not seem to have its fair share of popular science books. Has PZ Myers written anything accessible on the matter? 

Quote:

In his book, Sean Carroll wrote that Eukaryota share traits of both bacteria and archaea.

Yes. He is referring to ESPs. An ESP is a Eukaryotic Specific Protein. Any protein which is unique to Eukaryotes and is not possessed or needed by any prokaryotic cellular machinery is an ESP. ESPs are believed to have been built from recombinative innovation from the proteome of Prokaryota. all Eukaryotic fibrous ESPs have homologous and recombinative relationship to fibrous proteins in prokaryota, even if the ESPs have adapted for the purpose of cytoskeletal structure. For example, tubulin is definitely a protein which we can trace easily back to firbrous proteins before Eukaryota, but its function as the modular domain for the assembly of microtubules is mostly Eukaryota specific (however, the cytoskeletal mechanism can also be present in prokaryota) . This relationship is evident in any examined fibrous protein, such as keratin, elastin, collagen etc. Most molecular biologists have concluded that ESPs are constructed by module domain reassembly from the prokaryotic proteome.

However, there are still loads of unaccounted for ESPs and we need to be able to solve them, if they cannot be found to be homologously related to the Prokaryotic Empire of archaea and bacteria. It is well known that aechae bear greater resemblance to Eukaryota in terms of cellular machinery for replication, transcription, translation and repair of genetic information and that bacteria better resemble the eukaryotic methods of metabolism and energy conversion, anabolic and catabolic process.

Quote:

I was under the impression that the marriage of archaea and bacteria had something to do with mitochondria and the cells in plants that allow for photosynthesis: the energy centers. I

Eukaryotic cells can be classed as either plants or animals or fungi as well as some blurrily classified protozoa. Ancient Eukaryota originated as predators. They had a fluid highly flexible cell membrane that allowed them to envelope and capture nutrients. This function is retained in some cells like T-Cell lymphocytes, Leukocytes, and other cells in the immune system. This fluidity also allowed them to capture small bacteria. This is believed to be how our organelles in the cells came to be. There is a huge amount of compelling evidence that mitochondria, lyosomes, peroxisomes etc all the organelles inside the cells, are ancient bacteria that have since evolved into a symbiosis with the Eukaryotes.

To look at how plant cells diverged from this, we need to understand a tiny little bacteria family called cyanobacteria.

These little bacteria may have been the first life forms in existence. They are known to have existed for almost 3.8 billion years. They perform a process called photohydrolysis. It is a precursor to photosynthesis. These organisms were the first photosynthesizing life forms. Indeed, they were responsible for creating todays oxygen-based atmosphere. 

If the Primordial Eukaryotes would simply trundle along engulfing hapless prey, the plants were ancient Eukaryotes that swallowed the cyanobacteria. They became incorporated into the Eukaryotic machinery, allowing it to do what the bacteria does. Which is to obtain glucose by photohydrolysis.

And if the cells can do that...there is no need to chase after prey anymore. The plant cells were revolutionaries. They made the transition from hunting to farming around two billion years ago. So they lost their fluid bilayer (dont need it anymore) replacing it with a rigid cellulose wall which was useful for stacking chloroplast cells. They lost their ability to engulf. A process which by the way is called phagocytosis.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: Beyond

heyeverybody wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:
Are you seriously saying that because many people believe in a god and are willing to die for that belief there is a god?

I had to read that twice before I realized you were commenting on something I actually said.  No, I am not claiming that someone who is willing to die for religion proves truth.  Willingness to die only proves devotion to something.  Replace the word 'SUICIDALLY' with 'WRECKLESSLY' (No, I'm not saying someone who will wreck his car for Jesus proves Jesus' historicity).  My point was that humans are the only religious creatures on earth.  Now if religion was born out of necessity for societal development, it makes sense to conclude that other creatures would be religious too.  I will give it to you that man has conquered the land, but what about the seas?  Shouln't there be another religious creature out there or is it by our own invention?  You see the desire to know God is unique to man.  If it is coincidence then you should shut this website down.  If however it is by God's design, well, you should shut this website down.  There are plenty of other proofs along these same lines; my favorite is man's love affair with redemption.  You guys do know that human beings are the only ones out there debating...well anything. 

WTF are we even speaking the same language? So because humans are the only religious animals there must be a god? I case you didn't notice we are also the only ones with complex governments, technology and the ability to completely delude ourselves. What does that have to do with whether or not there is a god? 

If there was a god don't you think he would make ALL animals religious?

You are still basing your "proof" of god on the beliefs of humans. Do you understand what the word proof means?

By the way, my dog believes that I am god. So some animals are religious. (He isn't particularly rational but thinks it is cool that I can open his kennel and magically transport him to fun places in the car.)

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: My

heyeverybody wrote:
My point was that humans are the only religious creatures on earth.
How do you know this? Have you spoken to the animals? How do you know that they don't have their own customs and myths?  A little presumptuous, I think. Perhaps you just want the world to revolve around you, with your all-powerful, all-knowing god who cares so much about you and only you.  -Triften

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

This is much more interesting than talking with that other guy, and orders of magnitude more lucid...

Quote:

Developmental biology does not seem to have its fair share of popular science books. Has PZ Myers written anything accessible on the matter?

I'm not sure. I suppose I could look. Smiling That's one name I'm not completely familiar with.

deludedgod wrote:
Quote:

In his book, Sean Carroll wrote that Eukaryota share traits of both bacteria and archaea.

Yes. He is referring to ESPs. An ESP is a Eukaryotic Specific Protein. Any protein which is unique to Eukaryotes and is not possessed or needed by any prokaryotic cellular machinery is an ESP. ESPs are believed to have been built from recombinative innovation from the proteome of Prokaryota. all Eukaryotic fibrous ESPs have homologous and recombinative relationship to fibrous proteins in prokaryota, even if the ESPs have adapted for the purpose of cytoskeletal structure. For example, tubulin is definitely a protein which we can trace easily back to firbrous proteins before Eukaryota, but its function as the modular domain for the assembly of microtubules is mostly Eukaryota specific (however, the cytoskeletal mechanism can also be present in prokaryota) . This relationship is evident in any examined fibrous protein, such as keratin, elastin, collagen etc. Most molecular biologists have concluded that ESPs are constructed by module domain reassembly from the prokaryotic proteome.

However, there are still loads of unaccounted for ESPs and we need to be able to solve them, if they cannot be found to be homologously related to the Prokaryotic Empire of archaea and bacteria. It is well known that aechae bear greater resemblance to Eukaryota in terms of cellular machinery for replication, transcription, translation and repair of genetic information and that bacteria better resemble the eukaryotic methods of metabolism and energy conversion, anabolic and catabolic process.

Interesting. I'm going to have to Google some of your terms to fully understand...and even then I may not fully understand. Smiling I'd really like to get a better understanding of single-celled organisms and the beginnings of multi-cellular life (which descended from the Eukaryota). This is really fascinating stuff.

Iruka Naminor wrote:
Quote:

I was under the impression that the marriage of archaea and bacteria had something to do with mitochondria and the cells in plants that allow for photosynthesis: the energy centers. I

Eukaryotic cells can be classed as either plants or animals or fungi as well as some blurrily classified protozoa. Ancient Eukaryota originated as predators. They had a fluid highly flexible cell membrane that allowed them to envelope and capture nutrients. This function is retained in some cells like T-Cell lymphocytes, Leukocytes, and other cells in the immune system. This fluidity also allowed them to capture small bacteria. This is believed to be how our organelles in the cells came to be. There is a huge amount of compelling evidence that mitochondria, lyosomes, peroxisomes etc all the organelles inside the cells, are ancient bacteria that have since evolved into a symbiosis with the Eukaryotes.

This is what interests me. So mitochondria and chloroplasts would be analogous structures (both energy centers, but one for animals and one for plants) that evolved from the symbiosis that began in these predatory one-celled Eukaryotes? Smiling

deludedgod wrote:
To look at how plant cells diverged from this, we need to understand a tiny little bacteria family called cyanobacteria.

These little bacteria may have been the first life forms in existence. They are known to have existed for almost 3.8 billion years. They perform a process called photohydrolysis. It is a precursor to photosynthesis. These organisms were the first photosynthesizing life forms. Indeed, they were responsible for creating todays oxygen-based atmosphere.

If the Primordial Eukaryotes would simply trundle along engulfing hapless prey, the plants were ancient Eukaryotes that swallowed the cyanobacteria. They became incorporated into the Eukaryotic machinery, allowing it to do what the bacteria does. Which is to obtain glucose by photohydrolysis.

And if the cells can do that...there is no need to chase after prey anymore. The plant cells were revolutionaries. They made the transition from hunting to farming around two billion years ago. So they lost their fluid bilayer (dont need it anymore) replacing it with a rigid cellulose wall which was useful for stacking chloroplast cells. They lost their ability to engulf. A process which by the way is called phagocytosis.

Wow. Thanks.

How does photohydrolysis differ from photosynthesis?

On edit: If I ever make it to Hong Kong, may I come to your lab? 

Man, I'd love to take a decent, up-to-date biology course and actually see some of this stuff under a microscope. Smiling 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften

triften wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:
My point was that humans are the only religious creatures on earth.
How do you know this? Have you spoken to the animals? How do you know that they don't have their own customs and myths? A little presumptuous, I think. Perhaps you just want the world to revolve around you, with your all-powerful, all-knowing god who cares so much about you and only you. -Triften

Thanks, triften.  I was going to say this.

Many animals are a lot more intelligent than some people think.  Whether or not they have religion is moot.  Actually, I kind of hope they aren't afflicted with our neuroses. 

I think the best place to look for evidence of religion would be chimps and bonobos (obviously).  I've seen arguments that hominids up to Homo ergaster did not have religion. So far, there is no evidence of ritual or that they buried their dead.  I believe the only two hominids that are known to be afflicted with religion are Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis.

I wouldn't take this to the bank.  There could be evidence of religion in other hominid species that has yet to be uncovered.  I wonder if Dr. Jane Goodall has observed anything that made her wonder if chimp society has the beginnings of religion?

That would be a fascinating Google...off to the Internets™!