Religions: from gods to aliens

serotonin_wraith
serotonin_wraith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religions: from gods to aliens

In the past when we couldn't explain things, we attributed it to a god of some kind. There were many on offer, to explain thunder, sunrise and so on. Now we're left with just a few that people still believe in, one that started it all off and helped guide human development- the monotheistic god.

Science has shown us (and humans are taking notice, little by little) that we don't need any god to explain what we see around us.

But seeing as so many people want/need to believe in something greater than themselves, I wonder if the religions like Scientology and Raelian will end up being the dominant ones in a few hundred years. People will have faith in aliens, rather than gods.

It's too early to say for sure, but it seems a plausible idea to me. Religions change with the times. If god belief is on the way out, could humans feel comfortable without any higher power to look up to (as I hope will happen), or will alien religions move in and take over?

sexysadie
sexysadie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if aliens have

I wonder if aliens have religions? I wonder if we are gods to the monkeys?

This may be a very historic time if humanity is mature enough to "grow up" and stop relying on a father/mother figure or a savior to come save us. What do we need to be saved from? And if there we are in a mess it is us that got us into this mess, not god or the devil, or the aliens. I hope if any aliens come visit us they are mature enough to not need religion. Imagine if they pushed there religion on us? Maybe that is what they did in the first place. Maybe that is where religion came from. But they will probably think humanity is very primitive for having religions.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
  serotonin_wraith

serotonin_wraith wrote:
But seeing as so many people want/need to believe in something greater than themselves, I wonder if the religions like Scientology and Raelian will end up being the dominant ones in a few hundred years. People will have faith in aliens, rather than gods.

Uh, I don't know about you but scientology is kinda scary to me. Raelians I don't much about beyond there little cloning thing they like to talk about. Although I do remember talking to a few people who believe in alians, no not the "live on other planets is possible" kind....

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
serotonin_wraith wrote:

serotonin_wraith wrote:
If god belief is on the way out, could humans feel comfortable without any higher power to look up to (as I hope will happen), or will alien religions move in and take over?

I think we're going to see great advances in science in the next few decades that will change the way we see the world. This will force more and more people to question their ancient religious superstitions and the belief in a higher power will slowly fade away. By 2100 Christians will probably be a small minority in America as well as in most western countries. I think Islam will be slower to die but even Muslims will be fewer in numbers.

The new movement that is challenging beliefs without evidence will more than likely gain momentum in the coming years as humans demand rational solutions to world problems. It's all a part of the evolutionary process and our will to survive.

If however, irrationality presists and this change doesn't occur, I think the world will become a very dangerous and unpleasant place to live.

But I don't believe aliens will be involved with any of this.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
It's my mistake in not

It's my mistake in not being clear enough, sorry.

I don't mean the religions of aliens, rather religions about aliens.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Will we have religions

Will we have religions about aliens?

I doubt it.

I do believe in the possibility of intelligent life on other planets. But they are probably so far away that it could be tens of thousands of years from now before we ever make contact with any of them. And if they have the ability to contact us back, they might not want to.

Besides, by then religion on this planet will probably be thought of as a dangerous primitive irrational belief system.

Anyway, why pray to aliens? Unless they can magically answer prayers and give us what we want, what's the point?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course there will be a

Of course there will be a church based on aliens.  It is called:  Scientology.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Of course there

Nero wrote:
Of course there will be a church based on aliens. It is called: Scientology.

A church based on aliens makes about as much since as any other religion. So.....sure why not? In fact, why not have a church based on kangeroos or robots?

There are six billion of us living on this rock flying through space and not a single one of us knows why? So let's just keep making shit up and people will believe it.

Frosty the Snowman is the real savior. He came to life one day from the miracle of a magic hat to save mankind from eternal damnation. But in order for mankind to be saved, Frosty had to melt away. But Frosty promised that he'd return someday to take all believers to heaven.

Will you be ready?

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
There are already religions

There are already religions about aliens now, with many followers. People already believe in this crazy stuff. I'm just wondering whether it will fade out around the same time as religions about god, or whether they will take over when people abandon god belief. Aliens are much more plausible than gods, so those religions may be harder to shake off.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess anything is

I guess anything is possible.

But, as I've said before, I think as humans evolve we will become less dependent on beliefs without trustworthy evidence.

But, if for instance a nuclear exchange reduces our species to a quarter of it's present population and our technology and science is reduced significantly, there's the chance that religion will make a comeback. Especially if fear controls human thinking.

If by then humans believe that only intelligent life in other worlds can save us from our own destruction then I guess there's the remote possibility that aliens could be part of religion.

But I think that's an unlikely scenario.

iranu
User is offlineOffline
I think that religion will

I think that religion will be with us for a very long time.  It has a very powerful hold over people and is used as a method of control.  It's a perfect vehicle for manipulating people.  Islam is the fastest growing religion and it scares the hell out of me.

30 years ago, you would never have been aware of Islam in the UK but we now have "progressed" to the point whereby a significant minority wish to harm us.  Chritianity may well die out in the UK but Islam won't because it's followers are mainly immigrants.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
If memory serves, Jung wrote

If memory serves, Jung wrote some telling essays on UFOs and the human need to see things coming from the sky to provide redemption.  Might want to check it out.

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:   In

RickRebel wrote:
  In fact, why not have a church based on kangeroos or robots?

Hindu's are close with their sacred cow.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts