Church cancels memorial for Vet because he was gay

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church cancels memorial for Vet because he was gay

I'm not quite sure if this is in the right place but I just wanted to share this lovely story with everyone.
http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/church-cancels-memorial-for-gay-vet/20070811110009990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Figures. Most of those

Figures. Most of those megachurches are of the extreme fundie type. I want my funeral to have no religion whatsoever in it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We did decline to host

"We did decline to host the service - not based on hatred, not based on discrimination, but based on principle," Simons told The Associated Press. "Had we known it on the day they first spoke about it - yes, we would have declined then. It's not that we didn't love the family."

Yeah right.  Ooohhh... this makes me so mad.  What?  Is that to say that if you saw a bleeding man on the street who happened to be gay you wouldn't help him either?  You don't support his "lifestyle," so I bet he would deserve to die too.  These kind of people make me sick.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found this at another

I found this at another site and came to post it here.

Another gem: “Even though we could not condone that lifestyle, we went above and beyond for the family through many acts of love and kindness,” Simons said.

Suuuuuuuuure you did, Simons ol' boy.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
The worst kind of bigot is

The worst kind of bigot is the one who tries to claim he isn't a bigot...

fucking bigots...

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problem is that the

The problem is that the press about this atrocity will not stop people from attending this church.  In fact, it will probably increase their flock.

I've an idea though.  Perhaps if we start a program by which every male fundamentalist is sodomized, then they won't be so eager to look into the sexual past of others.  Hell, we could start them young.  Every teenaged Christian would be a catamite.  We'd call it "Project Mind Your Own Fucking Business."

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love though to these

I love though to these assholes, it doesn't matter how much good you have done for the world, if you don't fit the Christian Code of Condcut, they can't help you. The church pretty much told the family "Fuck you God hates fags" 24 hours before the funeral was supposed to happen.

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homosexuality is against the

Homosexuality is against the Christian code of conduct.  Seriously, what did they expect?  It's not exactly secret.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
But it was canceled hours

But it was canceled hours before it was planned to start. And this guy wasnt just a regular guy, he was a war vet. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Patrician, first, many

Patrician, first, many churches allow homosexuals' funerals to occur within the church building.  Second, had they declined originally, this would have made no news.  They waited until the day before to do it, though.  This was calculated, which makes it a little more crass.

I will not argue against the church's right to refuse.  I will decry a church that elects to insult the deceased in such a public forum. 

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Firstly, it matters not

Firstly, it matters not that he was a war vet.  He was gay, that's why they cancelled.

Secondly, some churches may, this one does not.  That's their option. 

Thirdly, cancelling at short notice is a bit crap but when did they find out he was gay?

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
We're not sure, but one

We're not sure, but one would think a fair church would cut the family some slack instead of canceling the whole even regardless of the time, loss, and the person's War veteran stance. That's Calvanism for ya.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
The larger topic is how

The larger topic is how fundamentalists have locked on sexual issues.  There are books waiting to be written on this.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
How many of their leaders

How many of their leaders have turned out to be homosexual?  I think that is what is driving the entire thing.  It has to do with the American machismo personna.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder when they will

I wonder when they will accept gays like they finally learned to accept women and blacks.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unsavedsinner wrote: I

Unsavedsinner wrote:
I wonder when they will accept gays like they finally learned to accept women and blacks.
Until we have an Emmit Till version for the Gay community, They won't listen.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.