Do we really have the right to criticize peoples' beliefs?

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline

Okay... I've been feeling really confused lately.  Now... I've meantioned it before, but I've seen in myself a bit of an "elitist complex."  I've been looking around the forums, and around YouTube too at atheist, and theist views.  I've seen a lot of atheists that speak about it being "us vs. them."  Before becoming an atheist, I had always criticized religion for the fact that they believe that they are completely right, and that they try to impose their beliefs on others.  However, it seems that I am doing exactly the things that I despised. 

Let me explain.  I have a big mouth.  I was always facinated by religion, and I always liked to have open discussions about it.  Before becoming an atheist, I liked to philophysize.  I had some pretty weird ideas on how the world worked, which most were adopted on eastern mythologies.  One of my theories I had was that humans were made of energy, and they conincided with an infinite other "yous" in different parellel universes.  So you exist infinately, and that explains past lives.  Also all religions had basis in facts, because if you thought about something hard enough, it would manifest in the spirit world.  So gods like Zeus or Odin were all real.  Then I had myself convinced that I was hearing spirits talk to me, and that I had magical powers.  As silly as it seems... that's what I believed.

I have now put that all behind me, and turned to atheism.  Atheism makes much more sense than anything else I have believed in, which is good.  However here is my problem.  I have always tried to keep an open mind, and keep my options open.  I never wanted to get too involved with any belief structure, in fear that I would lose myself like I have done before.  So perhaps I'm reluctant to get too much into atheism because I might lose myself...  However, atheism doesn't preach mythology or anything like that, but reason right?  But still... I have a hard time believing that I'm right.  I used to believe that I was absolutely right when I was in that oogy boogy way of thinking...  but does being an atheist automatically make you "right?"  

Okay... in summary: 

1)  Does atheism give you any more of a right to criticize someone else's beliefs?

2)  Is atheism the "right" way of thinking or the "truth?"

3)  Should atheists look down on religious people? 

4)  How can you hate the "disease" (religion) without hating the person who carries it?

magilum
User is offlineOffline
1. Ask yourself whether

1. Ask yourself whether their beliefs affect nonbelievers and believers in other religions. Stem cell research funding is one example, safe sex education in AIDS affected regions is another. If so, their beliefs are not merely "personal," but presume to provide objective explanations of the real world. In that case they should be subjected to scrutiny like any other claim. (I'm paraphrasing Sam Harris partially here.)
2. In the case of religious belief "truth" isn't a very useful word. There are claims that are substantiated and there are others that are not. When the two compete, the choice is whether evidence or faith will be your guide.
3 & 4. It sounds like the "Hate the sin, love the sinner" BS I've been decrying in the other thread. I don't hate any of the theists I know, probably because most of them are just secularists with a sort of spiritual conceit. I don't know any fundamentalists, so I can't predict how I would react to them. The fundamentalists and apologists I've seen and heard from are just an obstacle to progress as far as I'm concerned, which entales quite a lot for humanity's well being, so I don't like them much.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you view it as a 'right'

If you view it as a 'right' instead of a human 'responsibility' then there is nothing more I can say to you.

Dear friends,

We are witnessing the continued rise of reason as a new way of life in our society. For thousands of years in our history, religious faith has ruled over human ignorance. The few who looked for answers outside of the theistic box have contributed to all of humanity in ways that we may never fully be able to credit them. Did we ever ask them why? Did we ever question their motivations? My answer is 'No. why should I have? Their motivations weren't the issue.'

We have built an ideology based upon their work and we have continued to add to it. Great human beings have made the list of those whom we quote because our names are not among them... YET.

The voices in our human history that we have heard the most are those unafraid of the consequences in face of the benefits that their ideas brought to humanity's attention. From Russell's teapot to Dawkins' memes and Stanton's women's bible, humanity has been brought to a state of awareness concerning the illogical reasoning behind religious faith... or so one would like to think.

There are so many people in the world that have never heard of these concepts let alone the questions themselves. Some have no reason to think about their own questions either. As one of the activists that willfully associates myself with the Rational Response Squad, I have seen many theists come to the site to defend their theism against the perceived 'onslaught' of atheism and freethought. Atheism has been given the proverbial 'black eye' by religious leaders whose paychecks depend upon those people's unwitting ignorance or worse, by tradition. The people, deluded by empty promises, are the victims even though we are constantly reminded that without them, there would be no theism. It is my opinion, that the religious followers are relatively blameless until their 'faith' approaches cognitive dissonance and/or willful ignorance.

Are we to sit idly by and allow this ignorance to persist? How far can tolerance be stretched until it is depraved indifference? Elie Wiesel, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, once said, "...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." and I think that we can probably see on an intersubjective basis that it rings true for us as well.

Yet we are moved by our professed compassion to simply 'allow them their god(s)' and declare that we are tolerant of their religious ideology. I want you, on an individual basis, to ask and answer one question of yourself: "Can tolerance be negligent?"

I have answered this question for myself. That is why I am outspoken concerning what I perceive as the harmful ideology or 'mind virus' that is theism. I was negligently tolerant for far too long and I realized that it manifested itself as a sort of 'elitism', but that is when I asked myself the question. I was guilty in the past of depraved indifference toward my fellow humankind. I have a chance to make up for that by using my own voice and those of great atheists that came before me to make a difference in this world.

I understand the anxiety that accompanies speaking one's mind when in the minority. However, the time for fear has passed. As I said at the outset of this letter: "We are witnessing the continued rise of reason as a new way of life in our society." Shall we sit idly by and watch as society stumbles into ignorance or give it a hand to hold onto and aid it in learning how to think for itself devoid of belief in god(s)? The choice, as ever, is yours to make, but you are not alone in your decision.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is an article about

There is an article about this very topic in this month's Skeptical Inquirer - about how atheist vs. atheist, we divide ourselves into two disparate camps.

Dawkins, Sam Harris, et al are considered the 'militant' branch while others feel that as long as someone's beliefs aren't shown to be incorrect, then it's not our place to dissuade them.  The second group wants religion out of science completely, however.

My personal standard is a variant on a theme found in the Bible:  "Thou shalt not suffer a theist to live."  By being direct, we risk injuring someone's ego - by being passive, we let them think incorrect things.

For the pacifist atheists, I suggest the concept of a three year old and a hot stove.  You can tell the three year old (theist) that they shouldn't touch the stove burner (believe in invisible parental units in the sky) because it's "hot" (read:  moronic), but the average three year old will touch said burner out of curiousity (stupidity, brainwashing, laziness, et al).

Instead of letting them burn themselves (become religious because it's nonoffensive), I suggest direct education and counseling.  Watching 300 in the theaters again was a call to action - that few can stand against many, that reason, thought and justice can prevail over the idiocy and backwardness of faith.

We should be on the attack, not the defensive.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: We

Family_Guy wrote:

We should be on the attack, not the defensive.

Our very existence is an affront to them. We need only stand and wait for them to come to us, much as the Spartans did in your movie analogy. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

AnointedHeathen
User is offlineOffline
It sounds to me as if

It sounds to me as if you're almost trying to make atheism out to be a religion (whether intentional or not). I've heard many strong atheists who try to say that atheism is about more than just lacking belief in god(s). Atheism is simply the opposite of theism. Nothing more, nothing less. There are irrational atheists just as there are irrational theists. The atheist who says there's absolutely no chance whatsoever that any higher power exists is just as irrational as the theist who says that god absolutely exists without any imperical evidence. If imperical evidence were to ever present itself I'm sure most atheists would then become theists.

As for criticizing religion, I don't see why more respect should be given to someone's belief than to any other aspect of life. If someone were to say to a Christian that he holds the belief that there is a giant cyclopse in the sky that holds a flaming sword, ready to smite those who do evil the Christian would promptly attempt to refute that belief and impose his own. The atheist, when hearing irrationality, should feel inclined to do the same, should he so choose. Belief in something for which there is no evidence can be very harmful and should be treated as such, which brings me to the last point.

Concerning hatred for religion, one should not hate the religious. It is a disease of the mind that these people possess. You wouldn't hate someone because they have cancer would you? On the contrary the person should be encouraged to seek treatment for their disease. The chemotherapy for theism is rational thought.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote:

lucidfox13 wrote:

1) Does atheism give you any more of a right to criticize someone else's beliefs?

2) Is atheism the "right" way of thinking or the "truth?"

3) Should atheists look down on religious people?

4) How can you hate the "disease" (religion) without hating the person who carries it?

1) Being human gives you the right to criticize other beliefs. The only people who have more right to criticize anyone are those who know what they're talking about.

2) Depends. Is atheism faith that there is no god, at all, or is it a belief that none of the known gods are correct? I, myself, think that there is no way to know there is no god, but if there is one, we've not found it, and it likely doesn't care. Am I wrong? I don't know for certain, no one can. But to hold to the belief that it is impossible for a god to exist assumes that all the many untrue religions we have on earth are the only possible gods, which is arrogant and unprovable, and disproven every time a new deity emerges somewhere (which probably happens on a monthly basis).

3) No, unless they do something to deserve it.

4) You hate AIDS, I assume. Do you hate those who carry it? Most believers, especially those born into it, were indoctrinated from birth. They're victims as much as they are victimizers, often more so.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Atheist or theist, you could

Atheist or theist, you could view it as being your responsibility to point out what you perceive as incorrect beliefs as incorrect.

I wouldn't see atheism as a way of thinking but rather as a view of truth.

We shouldn't really look down on religious people; we should look down on them for what they do.

You hate the disease and love the carrier by trying to kill the disease.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I must admit

Yeah, I must admit sometimes I feel this way. What gives me the right to say, "That's retarded." ?

But then I see the other people in my life pussyfooting around people's ludicrous religious beliefs. It's like, we all make fun of the guy who thinks global warming is a conspiracy, or scientologists, or the tinfoil hat guy on The Drive, but the moment a christian(or other theist, this is just the most common) person is brought up everyone gets all uncomfortable looking, and then it's all, "Well, I don't agree with that, but I 'RESPECT THE BELIEF'."

And that's when I just kind of have to ask, "Why?" They honestly think the person's beliefs are just as ridiculous and laughable as the other things, but the religion card makes it SO innapropriate somehow? It's not just a case of a deeply held belief, because holocaust deniers and people who believe in fairies BELIEVE it, and some base their whole LIVES on those "facts". It's just the fact that we've been brought up not to criticize these beliefs for the solitary reason that they are a religion, and criticizing religion is a "no no".

Someone on here said something that really made me think. Hypothetical situation.

You have a blue chair. Someone sitting with you points to it and says, "Hey, that's a nice yellow chair."

What would you do? Smile politely and nod? Or say, "That's not a yellow chair. That's a blue chair."

Criticism is not inherently bad in itself. It's a valuable tool that humans use to evaluate and re-evaluate the concepts, ideas and habits that we have in our lives.

wackadoo
User is offlineOffline
Do I sometimes feel

Do I sometimes feel "elitist"? Yes.... Probably the same way Galileo felt while being prosecuted by the Church. Is it right to feel that we're better or smarter than the religious? Don't know.

Sometimes I feel like I'm telling a 3 yo that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Religion is a disease of the mind. No question about it. It will make people jump around naked if they believed God commanded it.

However, humans are sheep (most of us). Not all humans are ready to think for themselves, like us (here I am being elitist again). Like children, they need to be guided. Like children, they need Santa Claus.

Religion works as a sort of "parent" for these sheeps. Moral guide, spiritual comfort, etc.. we all know all that bullcrap.

But I wonder if one day, Religion was suddenly gone. Would we have civil war? These sheeps without religion or philosophy would have nothing to live for. Specially the poor. Religion is particularly important for the poor and the suffering because it gives them comfort.

Bah.. I'm just rambling.. I know I didn't have any logical point in this post.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: Do we

lucidfox13 wrote:
Indeed we do.

I think its a duty. 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I don't think it's elitist.

I don't think it's elitist. Religion is simply beneath us -- all of us. You literally have to affect an impairment of your basic faculties not to see that the major religions don't stand apart from the continuum of mythology.

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: 1) Does

lucidfox13 wrote:

1) Does atheism give you any more of a right to criticize someone else's beliefs?

That question would *seem* to imply that other belief systems tend to refrain from doing this more-so than atheism.  This couldn't be further from the truth, at least as far as most religions are concerned.  That said, I don't believe being an atheist gives me the right to criticize someone's beliefs. I believe having knowledge they do not gives me that right; just as I might criticize someone who thinks 94 octane gasoline has "more power" in it.

Quote:

Atheism is, for now, the "truth".  Atheism only refers to lack of belief in a spiritual deity, not a complete set of beliefs or views(as Christian or Hindu might).

I don't believe anyone should look down on anyone, but that doesn't mean you should respect every belief you come accross.  Expanding earth?  I don't look down on that guy, but I sure do look down on his line of thinking.

Quote:

4) How can you hate the "disease" (religion) without hating the person who carries it?

As has been mentioned, one can hate AIDS without hating AIDS carriers.  However, a serial killer maybe one who suffers from a sociopathic disorder.  Is this the killer's fault?  Likely not, but it would be hard to argue a case for not faulting the killer for the murders.   Don't hate anyone for what they are, if you must hate someone, hate them because of what they do.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I don't

magilum wrote:
I don't think it's elitist. Religion is simply beneath us -- all of us.

What's wrong with being elitist? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) Does atheism give you

Do theists criticize people for their unbelief or belief in other dieties? Do they tell people they're going to burn in their hell and they feel sorry for you if you don't become Christian? Do they try to create laws based on their belief? Does their belief stiffle science and progress of thought? If any of these can be answered yes then the answer is undoubtably YES, we do have the right and if not a responsibility to stand up and say NO. 

Too often people use religion as an invisibility cloak to cause harm, hinder, demoralize, shun, shame, etc. other groups of people and out of "respect" we're automatically supposed to remain silent of the injustice they're causing on individuals and society as a whole? The Grimke sisters stood up to religion because they wanted equal rights and did so vigorously. When religion starts controlling things, it's our responsibility to say STOP.  You can believe in whatever unicorn you want but if it starts affecting people, don't expect me to be silent. 

Define what "Truth" is. By default all people are born without religion and are taught the social codes depending on where they are raised. There's a reason there are nearly 3600 gods and more than 300 religions all claiming to be "the truth." I see atheism as more of a verb or knowledge than I do as a noun or "belief." I am atheist because all facts point to all faiths being wrong. There is far more proof that they are NOT true than if they WERE true. Unfortunately, in our society, we feel the need to label ourselves with whatever deity we believe in that other people made up and told us was "the truth." By default, atheism is the way people must be in order to progress. All you have to do is look around to see that. I posted several studies on previous posts that showed that countries with the least religion were the most prosperous, healthy, educated, etc. Even in the US you can see that states with the least religion are the highest educated, prosperous and healthy. While there are theists out there who might be okay with progress, a majority that I've come in contact with allow their theism to control aspects of the lives of others. Being without a religious ideology is best and studies show that. To have a belief is described as: confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof. Atheism is knowledge, not belief.  

What do you mean "look down on?" If their beliefs are affecting other people, which in almost every case does either directly or indirectly, then I feel it's responsible to address issues. The problem that I find with theists is that they don't look at verifiable evidence and even when presented they excuse specific things. The bottom line is even if they're presented with evidence that Jesus never rose into the clouds bodily or whatever the religion says, as I heard one preacher say, they would "just tweak things a bit" to make it fit. Most people don't know the history of the religion they follow and for many people I've asked why not they say that they don't want to know, they feel that questioning it would result in "hell" and that it's just easier to believe than to know the real truth. Many religions teach that knowledge is a bad thing and it's because it leads them away from religion which, as studies have shown, is a great thing.

Imagine the potential of all of these people to do something with their lives had they not spent so many hours focusing on religion. It's held back so many bright people. I honestly feel like the reason that there aren't more intellectuals and scientists is simply because religion does not encourage it. So in these aspects I think it's more that we look down upon the religion and upon the people out there who really know many of the things we know but spout it as ultimate truth. When the individuals don't really know the difference between allegorical truth and factual truth you can con them into believing anything. 

It's not so much hate as disappointment. You can't really hate someone for believing in something when they've never been taught to believe anything else. It's a generational disease, of sorts. When you present someone with evidence and they simply say to you "Sorry, I don't believe that" even though it's plain to see right in front of their face...it's very difficult and it's even more frustrating when they are encouraging others to be this same way but most don't even know they're doing it. It's second nature to them. How can we create intellectual people when so few people are willing to comprehend and haven't been taught HOW to? When people aren't taught to ask "WHY" of everything they know the thought process stops. It's a real conversation stopper when you spend hours explaining something to someone and they end a conversation with a simple, "That's not true. I don't believe you." A seed of knowledge cannot grow on a concrete block. Because there's no one "church" that you can address falsehoods with you're left with one-on-one debates so while you might convince one, a preacher might have convinced 10 more because it's easier to encourage accepting what you're told than to encourage people to question it and I think that's one of the main things that atheists are really after. Just question it! I suppose it's more of hating the institutional parasite and feeling sorry for the host people it's infected. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the topic, the

Regarding the topic, the answer is: yes.

I have the right to tell people they believe in stupid crap. They have the same right to tell me what they think of that. I don't respect religious beliefs, but I respect people's right to hold them.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did Aristole have the right

Did Aristole have the right to tell everybody that the Earth is in fact spherical?

Of course he did.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: I have the

KSMB wrote:
I have the right to tell people they believe in stupid crap. They have the same right to tell me what they think of that. I don't respect religious beliefs, but I respect people's right to hold them.

Perfect statement KSMB! 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Who was it that said "People

Who was it that said "People who don't like having their beliefs ridiculed shouldn't have such ridiculous beliefs"?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Who was

MattShizzle wrote:
Who was it that said "People who don't like having their beliefs ridiculed shouldn't have such ridiculous beliefs"?

I believe Sam Harris. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't think so - unless he

I don't think so - unless he quoted the original. I remember it as being a pretty old quote.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
There may be an older

There may be an older origination but I know I have heard Sam say it before.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, whoever said it, it's

Well, whoever said it, it's true!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Who was

MattShizzle wrote:
I think it was "People who don't want their beliefs laughed at shouldn't have funny beliefs".

I forget who said it. 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

wackadoo
User is offlineOffline
I agree with all of you

I agree with all of you when say that we have the right to tell people they're completed retards when they believe in a magic book, entities with halos and wings, unicorns, noah's ark, etc.

We also have the right to tell little kids that Santa Claus don't exist. But we generally don't do that... We let them figure it out by themselves.

Do I have a valid analogy here? Only if you consider those people that are not ready for the truth. Who are these people? The poor, the meek, the ones that struggle to survive. I come from a Third World Country, and there are a lot of these people there. Religion sometimes replaces their food. What are we going to do: tell them their lives just suck, and to suck it up? Try to teach them philosophy?

I don't want to babble too much.

My point is: We do have that right. I just try to hold myself sometimes depending on who I am talking to. If it's someone that went to college, that lives in the US, then hell yeah... I'll debate, argue, and try to do my best to prove him wrong. These guys piss me off. They believe in Science, but only until it starts proving their stupid beliefs wrong. That's hyprocrisy to me.

However, if it's someone that have suffered a lot in life: maybe lost his kid, or his mom to cancer, or struggles to feed his family... Then I tend to control myself and let them with their beliefs, because I feel like I'm killing a poor kid's Santa Claus.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Lucidfox! I recently

Hi Lucidfox!

I recently went through the same questioning and it led to a really big fight between an online friend and me.  It also led me to write a big-ass letter tonight.  I haven't sent it yet, so if anyone wants to add something, please do.

P.S. Lucidfox, I'm not trying to take over your thread.  I think this really does pertain to your quesion.

Hi Deb,

Here is a response to your e-mail.  Please read it carefully and get back to me.

Thank you,

Laura

I am a Truth-Seeker.  Prior to the phone conversation that freaked you out, I had been undergoing a lot of changes.  Actually, I’ve been undergoing changes for years.  That is the nature of constant truth-seeking.  It keeps you on your toes and quite frankly, it is tiring. Once, Tim said something very wise to me.  He said, “You have to drive all over the road before you can find the middle.”  That’s what I’ve been doing.  I’ve been driving all over the road, trying to find the truth and the moral high ground. 

I’ll continue to seek the truth.  Rationality requires keeping an open mind, which is hard.  I had to question some of my core beliefs recently.  That’s why I was suffering and needed to vent.  What I said to you was more like venting than recruiting, although I have changed my mind about the relative abhorrence of the latter (recruiting, persuading, proselytizing, etc.)  I’ll get to that later.

There is No Such Thing as an Atheist Fundamentalist.  Let me explain something about the nature of atheism.  It is impossible to be an atheist fundamentalist because there is no dogma about which to become fanatical.  Atheism is quite simply a lack of belief in a god or gods.  It is a lack of dogma, nothing more; nothing less.  At the Rational Response Squad, we have Objectivist, Libertarian, Liberal, Socialist and Marxist atheists.  That covers the political spectrum from right to left.  The one thing we all have in common is we abhor the current crop of Republicans.  I even found an Objectivist who can’t stand Bush.  Imagine. J

What is a Fundamentalist?  So, what is a fundamentalist (or fundy)?  A fundy is someone who adheres to a strict dogmatic position on a cadre of issues regardless of the facts.  They can’t be swayed through rational discourse even if you demonstrate their errors to them.  A person who can change his or her opinion on a subject when proven wrong is not a fundamentalist (or ceases to be as much of a fundamentalist as soon as he or she becomes more flexible).

There are religious and political fundamentalists of every stripe.  There have been fundamentalists who also happened to be atheists, but atheism was not the source of their fundamentalism.  I’m thinking mainly of despots like Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao Zedong.  These atheists had radical, dogmatic political views which they clung to despite evidence that their “programs” weren’t working.  In some cases they insulated themselves from the truth.  George W. Bush likes to do that.  It’s also common among religionists and other fundamentalists who can’t handle having their beliefs questioned.

Trying to Convince Others You Are Right Does Not Make You a Fundamentalist.  For a long time, I viewed anyone who was pushy or took a stringent stand of any kind as a “fundamentalist,” but this is an incorrect view.  This is one of the “core beliefs” I questioned and tossed aside. (After all, when you wrote me, weren’t you trying to persuade me your position was correct?) A person can hold a strong view, be pushy and not be a fundamentalist.  It took a bunch of pushy people to abolish slavery.  It took pushy scientists to force fundamentalist religionists to acknowledge that the earth is spherical and that it revolves around the sun.  It will take even more pushy people to force fundamentalist religionists to acknowledge that evolution is a fact, that homosexuals are not evil, that the United States in not a Christian nation, that the bible is not a good guide for morality and that faith-based initiatives result in destroyed World Trade Centers, endless wars on terror and the eroding of civil liberties.  There has never been a greater need for pushy people of conscience.

Religion as Sacrosanct.  For many years religion has enjoyed a position of unassailability.  It is not only considered “rude” to question a person’s religious beliefs, in some countries it is punishable by death.  In Afghanistan, the half-time entertainment of a soccer match consists of burying adulterers, blasphemers, etc., up to their necks and stoning them to death with brick-sized stones.  The United States isn’t this badly off yet, but we will be if we continue to “respect” religious beliefs.  Just look how far things have deteriorated under President Bush.  He won’t fund stem-cell research.  He wants abstinence-only sex education.  He invaded Iraq because god “told him to.”  The guy is religiously insane and so is a good chunk of the general population.

Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and many others finally convinced me that our current position of respecting others’ religious beliefs must come to an end.  Religion must be held to the same scrutiny as all other beliefs.  We don’t allow people to hold erroneous beliefs on whether or not the earth is flat, whether or not the holocaust happened, whether or not pi is a (probably) infinite number that starts with 3.14.  All other beliefs—including political beliefs—are under constant, intense scrutiny.  But religion is somehow different.  Why?  If religious beliefs have value, they should stand up to a little scrutiny.  If religious people are honest, they shouldn’t mind allowing their beliefs to be scrutinized.

Sam Harris says it best: “[When it comes to religion] the conversation never takes place….The moral arguments never have to be made at the political level because it is fundamentally taboo to criticize someone's religious beliefs.  Faith is really a conversation stopper.”  And if you don’t believe it, just look at the three and a half months of silence that has descended on our friendship.

The time for respecting religious beliefs has long since passed. Criticizing religion is not only a right, it is a responsibility.

Religious Moderation is a Dead End.  During the last several months, I’ve also started questioning my respect for moderate and liberal religion.  After all, liberal and moderate religionists are well-behaved.  They don’t fly planes into buildings or stone people during half-time.  They aren’t the ones squalling about homosexuality being a sin.  They aren’t the ones stalling stem-cell research or calling for creationism and abstinence-only sex education to be taught in the classroom.  As citizens go, these people are good people, but there are some problems with their beliefs.

1. Moderate / liberal religion betrays faith and reason equally.  Moderate religionists barely know what their sacred texts say.  Hell, it’s been twenty years since I formally studied the bible, but I bet the rock-solid education the fundies gave me during the first half of my life trumps the knowledge of most Christians, especially moderate and liberal Christians.  The moderate and liberal Christians I’ve known have been downright shocked when I quoted nasty bible verses to them.  They didn’t even know what was in their own holy books!  Once the shock wears off, the moderate religionist will attempt to explain away the genocidal hatred shown by the god of the bible.  If only I had a dollar for all the times I’ve heard the following:

• It’s allegorical!  You’re not interpreting it correctly! (Who gets to decide what parts are allegorical and which are literal?)
  • The new covenant did away with the old.  We’re not under Old Testament Law anymore. (Oh really?  And if god is perfect, why would he need to change covenants in the first place?  Why is the old covenant so flawed?  And what’s so great about sending everyone who doesn’t believe in Jesus to hell?)
  • Faith is an alternative path to knowledge.  Faith is “heart” knowledge. (Oh yes? Then why do we have so many mutually-exclusive religions?)

In their rationalization, moderates betray scripture.  Why can’t they just admit the text says what it says? (Answer: because then they’d have to admit that the bible is an immoral book.)  By continuing to believe irrational things—Jesus was the Son of God; Jesus was born of a virgin; Jesus rose from the dead; miracles really happen; prayer works—they betray reason just as thoroughly as they betray faith.  Moderate and liberal religionists try to have it both ways, which is intellectually bankrupt and woefully dishonest.

2. The worst thing about moderate / liberal religionists is they provide a shield for the fundamentalist nutcases.  Moderate and liberal religionists constantly clamor for others to respect their religious beliefs.  Fundamentalists have no such compunctions; they criticize everyone’s beliefs but their own, yet expect their own beliefs to not only be respected, but to become the law of the land!  In this paradigm, those who want to “live and let live” don’t stand a chance.  As long as it is politically incorrect to question someone’s religious beliefs, no progress will be made against faith-based nonsense.  The only voices heard will be those of the religionists.

When Is It Appropriate to Criticize Another Person’s Religious Beliefs?  The short answer is I haven’t worked this out completely.  That’s why I vented in your general direction.  I was (and am) in flux, trying to decide the best way to approach the matter.

Sapient, one of the founders of The Rational Response Squad, has a very level-headed way of viewing the matter.  Because religion is such an emotional topic, he leaves his friends and family out of it completely.  He says if the movement grows, then hopefully some other atheist will have an effect on his friends and family.  He can agree to disagree and leave it at that. 

The Rational Response Squad keeps all activism in the public sphere.  Basically, we pull “publicity stunts” to get people to think and respond.  The last publicity stunt was the Blasphemy Challenge on YouTube.  It pissed off a lot of people, but boy did it ever open up a discourse!  What we want is to open up a dialogue.  We want people to come and defend their religious beliefs and listen to our rebuttals.  If someone ends up proving god actually exists, that’s great!  We’ll believe. 

Most of all we want to get rid of the cultural taboo against criticizing religion.  Then, and only then, can we even begin to arrive at anything that resembles the truth.

Buddhism and Mindfulness Meditation.  This leads me to my final point.  Although I lack belief in god, I am not against the concept of “spirituality.”  I believe that it exists not on some metaphysical plain, but in the human psyche and that someday we’ll be able to quantify and measure it.  What is “spiritually” true will be true, whether the practitioner lives in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Baghdad, Calcutta, Jerusalem or Bangkok.

With that in mind, I’ve just begun looking into mindfulness meditation, which comes from the Buddhist tradition.  Now, I don’t believe in reincarnation, but I do believe that humans can attain altered states of mind.  These altered states (and even permanently altered brain patterns) show up on brain scans.  Tomorrow science may prove this too is bunk, but I’m interested enough to give it a try.  It helps a lot of people attain peace of mind.

What’s more, I’m impressed with the Dalai Lama, who is open to science and even defers to science when religion and science clash.  (It’s always religion that eventually gives way.  It’s just the faith-based dogmatic religions tend to drag their feet for centuries.) This is the kind of spiritual leader that is needed in today’s society.

This Tome is Finished.  That’s all I have to say.  I just wanted to explain the recent changes in my life that led me to bring up the topic of religion.  I also had to explain to you that I am not a fundamentalist.  When it comes to simple atheism, there is no such thing.  I have become more active in the “culture war” declared by Christians against us and I intend to make sure that rationality and reason win out in the end no matter where they may lead.  I fully intend to keep my “culture warrior” activities in the public sphere and away from my personal relationships as much as possible.  That’s a fancy way of saying I won’t bring it up unless you do.  If I do, then it’s my fault (as it was before) and I will cease and desist immediately.

Sincerely,

Laura

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: MattShizzle

AiiA wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
I think it was "People who don't want their beliefs laughed at shouldn't have funny beliefs".

I forget who said it.

Could it have been a derivation of Jefferson's

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very likely it was.

Very likely it was.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If beliefs are harmful to

If beliefs are harmful to people, then they must be criticized. I understand the irony of saying we're right when the other side says the same. The difference is that we're not making the same claims, or even the same kind of claims. Our claims are very simple and logical, and based on their claims. If they stop claiming, then our claims automatically evaporate.

Atheism is a counter to theism, not a position in and of itself.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: What

Iruka Naminori wrote:

What is a Fundamentalist?  So, what is a fundamentalist (or fundy)?  A fundy is someone who adheres to a strict dogmatic position on a cadre of issues regardless of the facts.  They can’t be swayed through rational discourse even if you demonstrate their errors to them.  A person who can change his or her opinion on a subject when proven wrong is not a fundamentalist (or ceases to be as much of a fundamentalist as soon as he or she becomes more flexible).

There are religious and political fundamentalists of every stripe.  There have been fundamentalists who also happened to be atheists, but atheism was not the source of their fundamentalism.  I’m thinking mainly of despots like Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao Zedong.  These atheists had radical, dogmatic political views which they clung to despite evidence that their “programs” weren’t working.  In some cases they insulated themselves from the truth.  George W. Bush likes to do that.  It’s also common among religionists and other fundamentalists who can’t handle having their beliefs questioned.

I'm actually gonna disagree with you here.  I've always been uncomfortable using the term fundamentalists outside its original, historical definition.  Fundamentalism is really only valid when discussing Christian Fundamentalism, i.e. the movement within Anglo-American (conservative) Protestantism that began with the Niagara Bible Conferences (1878-1897), developed Premillennial Dispensationalist eschatology, the introduction of interdenominationalism, the Five Fundamentals or Essentials (Inerrancy of the scriptures [sola scriptura]; the virgin birth and the deity of Jesus; substitutionary atonement through grace/faith; the bodily resurrection of Jesus; and the authenticity of Christ's miracles - including his premillennial coming) and the Fourteen Point Creed.  It was also within this movement that the idea of the Rapture developed.

Briefly - the Fundamentalists tried to take over the mainline denominations (which were primarily modernist and liberal) in the 1910s/1920s and failed, over-reached with the introduction of monkey laws, were humilated after the Scopes Trial, and relegated to the fringes of American Christianity until their ascendency after the development of the modern conservative coalition with Goldwater in '64.  (Ironically, Goldwater was very critical of the theocratic nature of the "New" Republicans - those who broke with the moderate Rockefeller Republicans and the Sun-belt Libertarians.)

I know that the attributes of American Protestant Fundamentalism can also be ... attributed to other traditions and viewpoints (its dogmatism, attachment to scripture, etc.), but I think we need to be precise with our language, esp. when talking about a movement that effects us in so much.  Also, I wrote my thesis about this so its something I'm kinda passionate about.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

What is a Fundamentalist? So, what is a fundamentalist (or fundy)? A fundy is someone who adheres to a strict dogmatic position on a cadre of issues regardless of the facts. They can’t be swayed through rational discourse even if you demonstrate their errors to them. A person who can change his or her opinion on a subject when proven wrong is not a fundamentalist (or ceases to be as much of a fundamentalist as soon as he or she becomes more flexible).

There are religious and political fundamentalists of every stripe. There have been fundamentalists who also happened to be atheists, but atheism was not the source of their fundamentalism. I’m thinking mainly of despots like Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao Zedong. These atheists had radical, dogmatic political views which they clung to despite evidence that their “programs” weren’t working. In some cases they insulated themselves from the truth. George W. Bush likes to do that. It’s also common among religionists and other fundamentalists who can’t handle having their beliefs questioned.

I'm actually gonna disagree with you here. I've always been uncomfortable using the term fundamentalists outside its original, historical definition. Fundamentalism is really only valid when discussing Christian Fundamentalism, i.e. the movement within Anglo-American (conservative) Protestantism that began with the Niagara Bible Conferences (1878-1897), developed Premillennial Dispensationalist eschatology, the introduction of interdenominationalism, the Five Fundamentals or Essentials (Inerrancy of the scriptures [sola scriptura]; the virgin birth and the deity of Jesus; substitutionary atonement through grace/faith; the bodily resurrection of Jesus; and the authenticity of Christ's miracles - including his premillennial coming) and the Fourteen Point Creed. It was also within this movement that the idea of the Rapture developed.

Briefly - the Fundamentalists tried to take over the mainline denominations (which were primarily modernist and liberal) in the 1910s/1920s and failed, over-reached with the introduction of monkey laws, were humilated after the Scopes Trial, and relegated to the fringes of American Christianity until their ascendency after the development of the modern conservative coalition with Goldwater in '64. (Ironically, Goldwater was very critical of the theocratic nature of the "New" Republicans - those who broke with the moderate Rockefeller Republicans and the Sun-belt Libertarians.)

I know that the attributes of American Protestant Fundamentalism can also be ... attributed to other traditions and viewpoints (its dogmatism, attachment to scripture, etc.), but I think we need to be precise with our language, esp. when talking about a movement that effects us in so much. Also, I wrote my thesis about this so its something I'm kinda passionate about.

Yes, I know the original definition of "fundamentalist" has a much more narrow definition than the one that is commonly employed. Sometimes I'll also use the definition of "agnostic" commonly used to get my point across to someone who hasn't studied this stuff like we have.

It's funny, but I actually considered discussing the historical beginnings of the term "fundamentalism" and decided against it.  When you're writing a letter to a friend who won't even speak to you, it's best to keep it as simple as possible.  An aside explaining the term "fundamentalism" and how it has evolved to include other dogmatic movements would only complicate things worse than they already are.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the reason I bring

I think the reason I bring it up is because often we miss the subtler differences between, say, conservative Catholics and conservative evangelical Protestants ... or between Shi'ite Islamists and Sunni Islamists ... While they all might share common traits which we can label fundamentalist (understanding that the commonalities are based on the Fundamentals of the 19th Century Protestants), their differences are more important when engaging them theoretically or in praxis.  Its like hearing nails on a blackboard when I hear people say things like, "George Bush wants to establish the Christian Church in Iraq ..." (A person actually said this in one of my sociology of religion classes at a well-respected liberal arts college.  What Christian Church?  A Methodist-Episcopal one?  Premillennialist or Postmillennialist?) or "Islamic fundamentalist" (maybe I've said it a few times, but its a bad habit ...) 

I guess its just that to me these distinctions are paramount - they have incredible explanatory power and I don't want that lost.  I think we should be unabashedly intellectual and open-minded when we look at faith traditions (the various scriptures, the theologies, theodicies and the cultural implications - what makes religion "real&quotEye-wink.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: 1) Does

lucidfox13 wrote:

1. More of a right? Of course not. Everyone has the right to criticize everyone else's beliefs. And everyone has the right to get pissed off about someone criticizing their beliefs. I don't think there should be any code or taboo against criticizing anyone's beliefs, though sadly there is in public life today.

2. There is no such thing as Truth, only rational and irrational belief. Atheists, IMO, hold rational beliefs with regards to the existance of God.

3. An atheist could be forgiven for feeling somewhat superior to a person who is unable to grasp the logic of atheism, but looking down on people is just a bad habit that really has no upside. Why sit in judgement on someone when you can't be sure you that you wouldn't be in their position under different circumstances? Pity would be more appropriate.

4. There is a lot more to a person than their beliefs vis a vis God. I have relatives and friends that I love very much who are theists, and this fact takes nothing away from my enjoyment of their company. In fact it leads to some entertaining debates.

Lucidfox, your questions seem to be less about whether you should hold your beliefs and express them and more about whether you should be an asshole about them.  Obviously, the answer is no, don't be an asshole. But you can be vocal about your atheism if it is important to you without being an asshole.  

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are so many great

There are so many great posts in this thread!  I, too, debate within myself about being elitist and criticizing people's beliefs, but your responses have helped me in some of this. 

Sometimes I wonder, if people treat me a certain way, and I treat them the same way, does it make me just as bad as they?  I haven't really found it all that effective to keep quiet and not respond.  I really would like more atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers to speak up against unfairness and inequality.  We're a smaller group, so we need the loudest voice we can muster.

I've heard Christians (and perhaps others) who say atheists should be kicked out of the country (USA, in this case) or even be killed.  Of course, they fail to realize they may be speaking of a religious person's children or someone they care about...which I like to think, would make it not so black-and-white for that person.  So, how can we keep silent when there are people speaking their views like that, and when our rights are being violated or we're treated as less than?  No, not all Christians or religious persons are like that, but there are many who are; some speak up, others hold those views, but only speak them in like company. 

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, it just seems to me

Well, it just seems to me that most people hold their religious convictions to be very near and dear to them.  It seems hard not to insult their beliefs for being irrational without seeming to insult the person themselves.   I've said it before, I would never refuse to be friends with a theist, but some have shunned me though.  I can't change the fact I am vocal about my atheism.  I encourage them to be vocal about their beliefs, but they usually don't have the motivation or care to do so.
I've been having trouble with my parents and relatives as well.  When I criticize the bible, and god, they say that's "rotten."  I suppose now's really the first time I've come out with my atheism, so I was expecting some sort of reaction like that.  My family is pretty much a bunch of moderate Christians.  They never go to church or anything, but have fallacies of a god.  I just have so much anger in me about religion (the belief itself, and what it causes like wars) that I can't stay silent.  
Some of the points you guys make are great, and helped me look at things in another light.  For me, one of my goals is to bring religion out of the "taboo" subjects to talk about in public.  I enjoy hearing other people's opinions, whatever they might be.    The hardest part, like I said, is to criticise the belief and not the person.  I respect peoples' rights to hold a belief, but I actively condemn the belief itself.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!