the "problem" of evil

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
the "problem" of evil

Ok, I know this must be cliche by now, and if there has been a recent thread on this then I apologize.

So I was thinking about this the other day and realized, "Well, if there is no god, then there really isn't a "probelm" of evil then is there?" I mean, the whole idea of there being a problem comes with the idea that god exists and that everything he does is good, so how could he create evil. So if this is not true, then is there really evil? It could just be the way we were raised to believe somethings were wrong and somethings were right. (Didn't Dawkins say something about our moral beliefs evolving just as we did? I've been so busy with college papers that I haven't been able to finish The God Delusion) Theoretically you could raise a child to believe murder is wrong, and they honestly would believe it too. So is there really a natural moral code that we all follow, or are morals codes different from the natural laws of the universe which are constant everywhere? (no mater where you go, physics is physics) Yet, would the child not be upset if you took his toy away, even if you told him that was ok? 

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Moral absolutism is always

Moral absolutism is always shaky, but I consider morality to be determined by the amount of suffering any action may inflict upon another.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just because morals evolved

Just because morals evolved does not invalidate them. On the contrary, I think it would be very hard for any animals to be social at all with no morals whatsoever, and some of the morals follow directly from the basic need for social interaction. For instance, the general prohibition against killing seems absolutely necessary for social interaction to be possible.

Just because morals can't be considered absolute doesn't mean they are not important.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.