Horrid state of science knowledge in US

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Horrid state of science knowledge in US

Why do people not understand what a THEORY actually is. I was trying to explain the realtionship between THEORY, LAW and HYPOTHESIS on another site, and some moron actually insisted the way science works is you have a HYPOTHESIS and THEORIZE about it and if you can prove the THEORY it becomes a LAW! Jawdropping!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Why do

MattShizzle wrote:
Why do people not understand what a THEORY actually is. I was trying to explain the realtionship between THEORY, LAW and HYPOTHESIS on another site, and some moron actually insisted the way science works is you have a HYPOTHESIS and THEORIZE about it and if you can prove the THEORY it becomes a LAW! :jawdrop:

Do you think they taught that shit when I was in highschool? Scienceteachers in general limit themselves to cramming the fruits of science in your head, and keeping score of how well you memorized them later on, while little to no time is spent on the basics of scientific inquiry, or science appreciation. This is not just a U.S. problem.

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so. 

qbg
User is offlineOffline
It always seems in my

It always seems in my science classes at least that the chapter/part on the scientific method is seen as boring. Maybe that has some role in this problem?

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Jutter wrote:

Jutter wrote:
Scienceteachers in general limit themselves to cramming the fruits of science in your head, and keeping score of how well you memorized them later on, while little to no time is spent on the basics of scientific inquiry, or science appreciation.

I completely agree. Moreover, I think it is also intertwined with not teaching critical thinking skills and having a poor understanding of statistics.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've said for a while they

I've said for a while they need to start teaching basics of logic/critical thinking before high school.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that would be

I think that would be wonderful MattShazzlewazzle ( sorry if that offended you) imagine how much good that would do.  It would help students with all their other classes as well. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Not offended. Not sure if it

Not offended. Not sure if it would help them do well gradewise in other classes, but it would certainly help them understand the material better.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
well yeah thats what I

well yeah thats what I meant.  Their approch to other classes would probably be better, which would lead to a much better understanding.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: well yeah

22jesus22 wrote:
well yeah thats what I meant. Their approch to other classes would probably be better, which would lead to a much better understanding.

Yes, understanding the material is all fine and good, but we all know that the point of high school is to pass a standardized exam.