Who Gets a Free Pass?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Who Gets a Free Pass?

ATTENTION THEISTS: IF YOU POST ON THIS TOPIC IT WILL BE DELETED.  YOU MAY READ THROUGH IT BUT IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING YOU MAY START YOUR OWN THREAD IN "KILL EM WITH KINDNESS" OR "ATHEIST VS. THEIST."   THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

When you encounter a totally irrational religious wingnut you may have the urge to debate them if they are in your face with some bullshit.  Recently I have had a friend right out of rehab who has turned religious on me.  I tried to bring her back to earth by stating something anti-higher power.  She actually turned her back to me and walked away in a huff.  She doesn't even want to discuss it.  It was like I called her a bad name. 

So it got me thinking maybe there are those you just don't try to talk sense to until they are ready.  Some may never be ready.  My mother-in-law is the latter.

Is it true that we should give some a free pass on rationality?  It's a tough decision when you know these people vote and have a say in what is taught in science class.  

Personally, I am in a pickle over this because I am going to lose a friend and my mother-in-law is coming in Easter to visit.  I have been studying all the arguments on this site and others and know I could come up with arguments for my side, but should I let it slide?  

There are others too that I want to be up front with like whenever I go to the store the nice old lady there will say "god bless you sweety" every time I go through her line.  I want to respond with "It's too late for that" but I know that would be inappropriate or even rude.

I vent here alot but never really get into any debates in person.  I feel out-numbered and like they try to make me out to be unemotional and uncaring. Yesterday a woman claimed that her husband healed her strep throat by putting his hands on her throat and that she could feel bubbles taking away the infection.  I am seriously rarely in a conversation with people around here without hearing something like this.

Anyone for a free pass?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Absolutely. It's completely

Absolutely. It's completely subjective.

My spouse is 'born-again' and even though we occasionally discuss religion and politics(more often 'in' politics), we have still agreed to disagree. She remains 'faith-ridden' and I am outspoken now for going on 5 years. 

It hasn't diminished any feelings for her(she did that in other ways. lol.)

Sometimes I think the fact that people KNOW that you are an atheist makes for honest conversation. The confrontational part of questioning someone's faith is completely up to you though in my opinion. 

Sometimes it's a game to me. I know that sounds messed up, but it is fun finding your limit and then backing off. If they press the issue then they might not be the kind of people you want to associate with anyway. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Delete this post if you

[DELETED POST]

[RIPPLE HAS BEEN BANNED]

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ripple wrote: Delete this

Ripple wrote:

Delete this post if you like, I don't think this is from a theist or atheist point of view. It's merely a humans perspective asking you, why do you really care about all of this? At the very least, I hope you had read this post before you delete it.

Ripple, I think that the mods are starting to clean up the freethinkers' forum (just a guess, dude). It isn't anything personal.  It's just that since this is a site for atheists, we need a forum for ourselves.  You are free to debate us in other forums on the site.  I would understand a Christian site needing a place to themselves if they invited debate in other forums.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Aye, I agree. But to delete

[DELETED POST]

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good question.  What is a

Good question.  What is a "Free Pass"?  If it means letting the person believe in god without my interference, then I give a lot of people a free pass. My feeling is that anything you do that makes you happy and doesn't hurt others is fine with me.  If you believe in god, astrology, or that your favorite sports team's success is dependent upon your support, go with it.  You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. 

I would ask myself if I am doing more help than harm.  Martha, losing your friend would possibly hurt you and not help your friend at a time when she really needs you.  On the plus side, you would lose your mother-in-law so let's call it a wash.  Just kidding Eye-wink

I tend to give my Mom a free pass.  She is one who listens to Christian radio every waking hour.  I cringe when I hear she donates money to her church despite being in poor financial shape.   She believes that god will bless her sometime.  I do try to help her, but in the end, I just let her have her crutch and hope she sees reason someday. 

On the other hand, people who proselytize, disparage, or harm in the name of their invisible friend get no free pass.  Presumably, those people want to enter the battle.  Everybody else I treat with the same kindness and respect I expect in return.

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911