My friend brought up an interesting question

megara
User is offlineOffline
My friend brought up an interesting question

My friend asked me an interesting question and I have not been able to come up with an answer, so I'm wondering what you all think. She said "Can you come up with a rational, non-emotional reason why a person should not take their own life?" She notes that she isn't considering suicide or anything, she's just curious.

What do you think?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
First why does it have to

First why does it have to be non-emotional?  Just because we're atheists doesn't mean we're not prone to emotion.  =/

Second, every decision we make in life effects other people, it's called a life cycle.  She should want to stay alive to influence that life cycle and be a part of it as well. 

Third, preservation of the species.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

megara
User is offlineOffline
She, herself personally, is

She, herself personally, is more "rational-thinking" oriented than "emotional-thinking" oriented. Also she knows plenty of reasons why someone would emotionally refrain from suicide, but she is just curious if there are any rational ones.

Oh, of course! I'm an atheist and definitely prone to emotion.

Wouldn't "to influence the life cycle" be considered emotional? 

To that, I'm sure she would argue that we are over-populated as it is

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
megara wrote: She, herself

megara wrote:

She, herself personally, is more "rational-thinking" oriented than "emotional-thinking" oriented. Also she knows plenty of reasons why someone would emotionally refrain from suicide, but she is just curious if there are any rational ones.

Ah!  Okay, I understand now.  I didn't see that in your first post.

Quote:
Wouldn't "to influence the life cycle" be considered emotional? 

How would it?  Can you think of an emotional reason to go along with infleuncing society?

Quote:
 To that, I'm sure she would argue that we are over-populated as it is

I would ask her to show you the population figures compared to the land mass - and ask her why there is so much real-estate in the mid-western United States.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

megara
User is offlineOffline
You have good points. Thank

You have good points. Thank you! I'm going to present these thoughts to her. I'll post a reply again with her response.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Can you come up with

Quote:
Can you come up with a rational, non-emotional reason why a person should not take their own life?

Well it is kind hard to think about a largely emotional problem with reason, but I will try.

The suicide would have very physical effects to world they leave. The things they did to benefit society would not be going on any more. The emotional effect on others would change the actions of others.

Also there is the whole existing thing.

You should also keep in mind there are a lot of moral philosophies that have trouble saying suicide is logically wrong. I mean if a person is of sound mind it is hard to argue against, but it isn't like a person gets a do over if they decide to quit.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:
I would ask her to show you the population figures compared to the land mass - and ask her why there is so much real-estate in the mid-western United States.

I have to differ with you a little here rook land mass is not so much important to a population then food. Pretty much the same idea, but with different reason behind why the population isn't out of control everywhere.