Nullifidian

floatingegg
User is offlineOffline
Nullifidian

I'm reading a journal article in the Pacific Sociological Review titled The Heathen Canadians. I just came across the following paragraph, which might be of interest to some of you:

Technically, the most precise term for persons who have no faith or religion is "nullifidians." This esoteric term includes both "atheists," who deny the existence of God, and "agnostics," who hold that the existence of God is unknown and unknowable. The use of the term "unbeliever" is imprecise, in that unbelief must be defined always from the perspective of a category of belief. "Thus, from the perspective of Christian belief, a non-Christian would be an unbeliever, as would a non-Communist from a Marxist perspective" (Glock, 1971: 57). Similarly, although the term "skeptic" is close in meaning, it usually refers to someone who doubts a particular religion rather than religion in general. Likewise, although an "infidel" is literally an unbeliever, in common usage it refers to someone who does not accept a particular faith, usually the Mohammedan faith."

I confess to being unfamiliar with the word nullifidian, so I looked it up.

nullifidian
(adj) : Of no faith; also, not trusting to faith for salvation
(n) : A sceptic; an unbeliever

It's an interesting word, don't you think? I'm tempted to use it, but I fear that it's a bit too indulgent.

Asmoday
Asmoday's picture
User is offlineOffline
Im happy with anti-christ.

Im happy with anti-christ.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah. It just doesn't have

Nah.
It just doesn't have the same 'shock' value after you've helped someone many times and then they find out that you're an atheist.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
And it sounds like one of

And it sounds like one of those made up scientology words.