Proving Wind?

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proving Wind?

I heard a new one today. I was asked to prove wind. Naturally the angle by the christian was that it's unprovable, but you can see the effect of it, and this then is like god because he then could cite the "effects" which are the usual list of nonsense things like "feeling" him or how people who pray can heal faster (gotta love the placebo effect). 
Of course this guy ignores everything I say anyway, so any evidence I would say wouldn't be good enough, so I didn't bother digging up links to NASA satellite imagery for example. Still, this thingmade me curious and I was just curious what any of you would say to such a request. 
Also, is this a variant on another argument? It sounds familiar to me.
Thanks.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
While this works best if

While this works best if you've just eaten something really garlicky with lots of onions; I'd simply blow in his face say "god didn't make this wind" and walk away.  Nothing anyone says will ever convince a maroon like this that his argument is bullshit.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, very nice. Still, am I

Oh, very nice.
Still, am I crazy for wanting to disprove nonsense from a maroon?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   turning on the fan

turning on the fan definiatly proves god ....   

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, how about this. Even if

Ok, how about this. Even if you simply accept that all you can know is the effect of wind and not wind itself, there's no fucking other explanation for the effect but wind. Gosh Billy Bob, what just took our trailer home away into the air? Demons?
In contrast, any "effect" of god is debatable. There's more than one reasonable explanation for the effect other than "god did it".
Ok, this stupid argument has left me winded. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    Thomas Paine was

Thomas Paine was very wise, on a human level,

and what else is there but our human-ness 

HI GOD Laughing  

we are it, all we can know ..... relax

then celebate , dance and holler, hold hands ....

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Thomas Paine was very wise, on a human level,

and what else is there but our human-ness 

HI GOD Laughing  

we are it, all we can know ..... relax

then celebate , dance and holler, hold hands ....

Yeah, and don't forget that garlicky greezy burger with a ton of onions before you go out looking for a fundie.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
"wind" is nothing more than

"wind" is nothing more than a laymens term for the movement of a gasseous cloud, usually once this movement becomes en masse.  This term is most commonly used for the air we breath, the atmosphere on other planets, or gasses put out by the sun as is the case for "solar winds".

All he's asking, is for proof that gaseous masses move.  All you need are visible objects caught in this gaseous mass, or one that is visible by itself.  Even feeling it is more than enough proof of it.  So, if it's not enough proof for him than he's either asking the wrong question or just showing how much of an imbecile he is.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wind =

Wind = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind

I know it's not college level but you don't want college level information for debating the delusional.

To "see" wind all you have to do is 1. have some and 2. set off a smoke bomb or something that produces smoke. 

R/

Lenny

www.kaosium.org 

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Wind gods were replaced with

Wind gods were replaced with an understanding of the dynamic of air molecules and temperature. He's only drawing attention to the precarity of his position, as an argument from ignorance and non-sequitur, if he makes such a comparison to other observable phenomena.

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone else posted for him

Someone else posted for him the wikipedia link. I mentioned thermal imaging and then linked to NASA pages that had both satellite imagery of the jet stream and 3D models generated from wind data collected (I had all of this bookmarked from a project months ago). Of course he dismissed all of this. The rejections were something about "images" vs "seeing" and some nonsense about a mirror vs reality. 
Oh thingy, he would probably say feeling it would be an effect, like he "feels" god.
It was a complete waste of time for me really as he just dismissed all that and kept insisting I said one thing when I said another. Oh, and then he pulled a Cartmanhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm3MIsqsK4
Thing is, I'd just wanted to make sure I had this oddball questioned covered should it come up again.
Btw, the freak I was dealing with is this guy:http://www.blogger.com/profile/08894632401827590745

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Its funny that he men

Its funny that he mentions the hitchhikers guide to the universe alongside with the bible as his favorite books. 

-edit- 

It just hit me, someone should write a book:

"The Hitchens Guide To The Universe" 

Later, AdamTM
- I'm the guy that gets called when the other guy is not around-
- I didnt feel the love! ...Wait...was that something? ...no, no its gone -
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
PhillyChief wrote: Oh

PhillyChief wrote:
Oh thingy, he would probably say feeling it would be an effect, like he "feels" god.

Right, so according to him gas is a solid object?  All wind is, is a large proportion of gas moving.  If gas isn't a solid object, then wind must exist. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline

bluescat48
bluescat48's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tell the guy to leave the

Tell the guy to leave the 14th century and enter the current one.