Not Sure Where to Put this one

andy5
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not Sure Where to Put this one

Sorry, I am new here, and I'm not really sure what I am so hopefully that's still ok to post here.  I only recently decided to definitely be anti-Bible or whatever, but, as I was raised that way, sometimes any little thing I hear messes me up, my parents try to use it against me, etc.  So, here is a little thing that was bugging me.  It doesn't really seem to fit any category, but here goes. On the commentary for the Godfather Part II, the director, Francis Ford Coppola, claims that as a kid, 7 or 8, he was a big believer in the virgin Mary. The story goes that he went out fishing with his family, caught like 28 fish, and no one could catch any fish except him. He was convinced at the time this was because he said a hail mary everytime before he threw his line out. If you've seen the movie, you know he uses that for Fredo's story. Anyway, if we're to believe Francis Ford Coppola, could there be any reasonable explanation at all for this, besides a coincidence?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only explination needed

The only explination needed is that it's a great anecdote.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I remember going fishing in

I remember going fishing in a small boat with both my uncle and my grandfather as a kid.  I caught around 7 fish and they caught nothing at all.  A few nibbles for them, but they never hooked anything.  I wasn't praying or anything, I can't really think of anything I was doing differently than them.

It seemed odd to me at the time.  Sometimes shit just happens.

btw:  Welcome, andy5!

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
andy5 wrote: Anyway, if

andy5 wrote:
Anyway, if we're to believe Francis Ford Coppola, could there be any reasonable explanation at all for this, besides a coincidence?

If Coppola's story is true ( people tend to exaggerate with fish stories ) then it's just a coincident. I went fishing with my brother and brother-in-law a few summer's ago. The 3 of us caught 82 fish. ( no lie ) Of the 82 fish we caught that day, I probably only caught 7 or 8. We were fishing off the beach at the exact same place using the same exact bait.  

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?