The Secret

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Secret

Has anyone seen the movie called The Secret?

It's about the Law of Attraction. Pretty much it parades out a bunch of philosophers, a few guys with Ph.Ds, even metaphysician talking about the "power of thought." They say that if you think good things, like really visualize them, that they will occur. They claim that one though can be perpetuated and felt throughout the universe, and the universe itself responds according to the Law of Attraction by bringing you whatever it is you thought about.

They like to present the mind as a magnet. They hit you over the head with this metaphor throughout the movie. Here's the thing: magnets attract things of opposite polarity! Bad use as a metaphor in my opinion.
They also like to act like the universe is a thinking, conscious, responding being. How can an assorment of emptiness, radiation, and small chunks of matter actually think and respond to some small, insignificant human beings' thought on some random-ass, backwater planet?

Even one author went as far as to say that the universe has a "design" or a "plan."

I really think this movie is a bunch of bunk. I mean, if I really wanted an elephant to present itself in my bedroom, no matter how hard I think it, an elephant won't be in my room.

Yeah sure, maybe positive thinking is able to reduce stress, but isn't that just because we changed our perception of the events/actions. I mean, you can take the same action and look at it in two different ways and your emotions will change based on that perception.

For example, if I had a pile of bills and great debt piling up, just thinking it away will not make it disappear. I can't make mortgage payments with just my brain.

Has anyone seen this movie? What did you guys think? Any other thoughts on the Law of Attraction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_%28film%29

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
My bullshit detector is on

My bullshit detector is on overload. I had been wondering what the "secret" was, thanks for letting the cat out of the bag.

Holy shit... my cat just jumped out of a bag! Maybe because I visualized it! Seriously though, my cats actually asleep.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched it about one week

I watched it about one week ago. This film is so full of BS I had trouble finishing it. It looks like the same folks that produced "What the Bleep Do We Know" made this film too. Most of the "experts" in this film are from the woo-woo alternitive medicine crowd. Real science does not support the conclusions in this film.

What The Bleep Do We Know

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I kinda had the same

Yeah, I kinda had the same feeling from this movie. They keep saying that "science proves blah blah blah," but they don't go into any real experiements or any reputable studies.

It's just a bunch of pseudoscientists trying to claim what they do as science because they use a "law" of science and have a Ph.D.

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

blgarcia (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
yeah, I could barely stomach

yeah, I could barely stomach the video. I think I got through about 15 minutes of it before I had to turn it off.  I think that one of the most annoying things is that they quote famous people and make it seem like they believed in The Secret.  Of course, all they can come up with is some really general, out of context sentence fragments from Einstein, Plato, and the like.  Complete BS.
Brandon

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Visualizes a million

*Visualizes a million dollars*

*Walks into post doing so.....*

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Matt-Evolved

Matt-Evolved wrote:

...insignificant human beings' thought on some random-ass, backwater planet?

Random-ass...hmm. Is that like a Picasso painting?

Move looks like a waste of time, BTW.