What I would/wouldn't do as a god
Imagine, for a moment, that yours truly is a god. Mighty, all-powerful, to be feared, etc. etc. etc., but NOT omniscient. I wouldn't like to be omniscient, but only omniconscious.
Here is a list of things I would and wouldn't do:
- I wouldn't make my supreme creation (let's call it "human" so similar to other animals, but with les hair and a little extra upstairs; my supreme creation would be something so radically different and so great, that no animal/plant would ever dare to challenge it; something powerful, intelligent, with a will to constantly improve and dominate
- I wouldn't ask my supreme creation for anything (such as worship, prayer, sacrifices and other time-consuming, but perfectly useless activities). I'd just let them know that I'm there and I'll give them a comforting sense that they're truly not alone
- I wouldn't create an evil spirit and I wouldn't employ third-party entities to do my work. I'd just do it myself
- I'd set up a way of them to directly communicate with me in times of need
- I'd give my supreme creation more curiosity than a regular human has, and a greater lifespan to fulfill it
- I'd act directly when something goes awfully wrong
- I wouldn't waste my time into giving them holy books and sets of holy laws, I'd let them evolve a sense of morality on their own
- I wouldn't promise them eternal bliss or damnation; I'd simply keep their "souls" (whatever that might be) so that they will constantly be reincarnated and no human will start from scratch, except for the "new" souls
- I wouldn't be mad at any of their actions, and I wouldn't try to destroy any of their work, except when it endangers the whole creation
- since I'm not omniscient, I'd give them free will
- I'd set their goals into attempting to become their own gods: powerful, mighty, etc.
- I'd give them a possibility to challenge me when they think they've evolved enough as a whole, and I'd gently return them to their original status, showing them where they are wrong and sending them back to the drawing boards (of course, they will never win, but they will try and they will evolve)
- I'd give them all the concept of infinity and how to deal with it
- their average IQ should be far greater than the average human (which, unfortunately...)
- I'd periodically check on their "health"
The list stops here. How many of these does any other god (not) do ?
Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."