RRS declares war on God belief in Chicago

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
RRS declares war on God belief in Chicago

For immediate release:

In response to a threat from a loving Christian, the RRS has officially decried that it is now specifically addressing the irrational belief in the existence of any God or Gods in the great city of Chicago. "In an effort vowing to fight for the mental freedom of all Chicago residents we want to state unequivocally that we are opposed to God belief anywhere, but now officially are declaring a war against god specifically in the windy city" said RRS Co-Founder Brian Sapient. This comes just seconds after "Anthony" a Chicago resident declared war on the Rational Response Squad. The Rational Response Squad has stated it would be willing to meet God on any playground in Chicago, because "We have words for that tyrant." When questioned whether or not he condones violence Brian Sapient stated, "No I don't condone violence, and I'm not willing to act physically on this non existent entity, this is a war to be fought solely with logic and reason."

(No Gods were available for comment)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Oh, he doesn't know what he

Oh, he doesn't know what he asked for.... I'm sure there's plenty of atheists in the 3rd largest city in the US.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
For immediate release: In response to a threat from a loving Christian, the RRS has officially decried that it is now specifically addressing the irrational belief in the existence of any God or Gods in the great city of Chicago. "In an effort vowing to fight for the mental freedom of all Chicago residents we want to state unequivocally that we are opposed to God belief anywhere, but now officially are declaring a war against god specifically in the windy city" said RRS Co-Founder Brian Sapient. This comes just seconds after "Anthony" a Chicago resident declared war on the Rational Response Squad. The Rational Response Squad has stated it would be willing to meet God on any playground in Chicago, because "We have words for that tyrant." When questioned whether or not he condones violence Brian Sapient stated, "No I don't condone violence, and I'm not willing to act physically on this non existent entity, this is a war to be fought solely with logic and reason." (No Gods were available for comment)

RUN BRIAN RUN.....RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.....HIS FICTIONAL DADDY IS GOING TO BEAT YOU UP AND TORTURE YOU!

Leave it to a loony to threaten violence. I hope pleanty of Christians who dont use violence read this. This is what people do with that book weither you like it or not PEOPLE DO PICK UP THE BIBLE AND JUSTIFY HARM TO THEIR NEIGHBOR WITH IT.

Brian Sapient only wants a diolouge and debate. He wont spread cooties, he wont rape you. Brian Sapient is not out to force you to give up your belief by gunpoint. He wont burn down your church.

He just wants Christians to stop treating atheists like crap and pretend like we dont exist. And if he can at least get you to think about your own claims, that is a pluss too.

Stop your whining about living in a country where people are different than you. Brian doesnt want you to fear him, but he shouldnt have to fear Christians either. And dispite the crap your preacher tells you, he is a citizen of this country with the same rights as you. He doesnt want to take away your rights dispite what you have been sold.

Inmature people resort to violence. Bullies resort to violance. Be mature and debate us. You are more than welcome to debate us on this forum.

BUT, let this serve as notice to all who think atheists should shut up. Forget it, We wont be silenced anymore. We have as much right to compete with our ideas as any other citizen.

Debate us, we dont bite and we dont eat kittens. But dont ever think you have the right to threaten us. We dont bow to threats. If you can show us good reason to believe, make your case. But dont expect us to blindly bow to your threats.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


MrRage
Posts: 896
Joined: 2006-12-22
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Brian

Brian37 wrote:
Brian Sapient only wants a diolouge and debate. He wont spread cooties, he wont rape you.

I think we can all breath a sigh of relief about that. Eye-wink


hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
Posts: 192
Joined: 2007-01-15
User is offlineOffline
Rally the troops!  The

Rally the troops!  The irrational minds shall be our target, and the debate forum shall be our battle ground!  Let the deicide begin!

The darkness of godlessness lets wisdom shine.


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Good luck taking on Wheaton

Good luck taking on Wheaton College.


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: Good luck taking

M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.

 I've got a  weird story about the wackjobs at Wheaton college.  I played volleyball in college, and we were playing a match at Wheaton.  During one of the games, I made a boneheaded play and let out a "goddammit!" out of frustration.  The ENTIRE gym went silent.  The players on the Wheaton team all stared straight at the floor, as if they didnt want to bear witness to the shame that I was surely about to feel.  Some school official went and spoke to the referree, who then told our coach that vulgarity and blasphemy would not be accepted there, and that there would be repercussions if there was any more swearing.  A similar occurence happened at Olivet Nazarene College in Kankakee.  Nutbags, the lot of them.

 I've got a list of other targets you might want to set your sights on in my beloved Chicago, should anyone want them(Willow Creek -- EVIL!).  On the bright side, in the time it took me to write this, the Chicago catholic archdiocese probably shut down 3 more churches/schools due to declining attendance.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: M

Roisin Dubh wrote:

M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.

I've got a weird story about the wackjobs at Wheaton college. I played volleyball in college, and we were playing a match at Wheaton. During one of the games, I made a boneheaded play and let out a "goddammit!" out of frustration. The ENTIRE gym went silent. The players on the Wheaton team all stared straight at the floor, as if they didnt want to bear witness to the shame that I was surely about to feel. Some school official went and spoke to the referree, who then told our coach that vulgarity and blasphemy would not be accepted there, and that there would be repercussions if there was any more swearing. A similar occurence happened at Olivet Nazarene College in Kankakee. Nutbags, the lot of them.

I've got a list of other targets you might want to set your sights on in my beloved Chicago, should anyone want them(Willow Creek -- EVIL!). On the bright side, in the time it took me to write this, the Chicago catholic archdiocese probably shut down 3 more churches/schools due to declining attendance.

 

So, because while you were playing on their stadium (a private college), which enforces it's own rules (which you should be aware of) and you felt that disrespecting them in such a way was perfectly acceptable that they are "nut jobs"?

 Sorry. I don't follow.

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
They are nutjobs for having

They are nutjobs for having such rules - and I'm surprised they would be allowed to have their own if they are part of any sort of conference.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote:

Roisin Dubh wrote:
Some school official went and spoke to the referree, who then told our coach that vulgarity and blasphemy would not be accepted there, and that there would be repercussions if there was any more swearing.

Actually, I would suspect that swearing might be "against the rules" at any type of school. The "vulgarity" part of the fussing would be acceptable, but the "blasphemy" part is silly.

 

By the way, are the xians in Chicago boycotting us now, too?  Smiling  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: They are

MattShizzle wrote:
They are nutjobs for having such rules - and I'm surprised they would be allowed to have their own if they are part of any sort of conference.

 

I assume by when you say "nutjobs" that you mean "mentally ill".

 Please justify that opinion else I will have to declare it just another one your blind prejudices you seem to appeal to on just about every post you make on this forum.

 And yes, I have browsed this forum for some time before posting here and I know of the content you post. It doesn't impress me.

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: Roisin Dubh

M wrote:
Roisin Dubh wrote:

M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.

I've got a weird story about the wackjobs at Wheaton college. I played volleyball in college, and we were playing a match at Wheaton. During one of the games, I made a boneheaded play and let out a "goddammit!" out of frustration. The ENTIRE gym went silent. The players on the Wheaton team all stared straight at the floor, as if they didnt want to bear witness to the shame that I was surely about to feel. Some school official went and spoke to the referree, who then told our coach that vulgarity and blasphemy would not be accepted there, and that there would be repercussions if there was any more swearing. A similar occurence happened at Olivet Nazarene College in Kankakee. Nutbags, the lot of them.

I've got a list of other targets you might want to set your sights on in my beloved Chicago, should anyone want them(Willow Creek -- EVIL!). On the bright side, in the time it took me to write this, the Chicago catholic archdiocese probably shut down 3 more churches/schools due to declining attendance.

 

So, because while you were playing on their stadium (a private college), which enforces it's own rules (which you should be aware of) and you felt that disrespecting them in such a way was perfectly acceptable that they are "nut jobs"?

Sorry. I don't follow.

A release of frustration natural to the person releasing it (who probably was not aware of the organization's rules at that time) in the heat of competition should not have been treated like an earth-shattering event but as a simple mistake.

If Christians want to evangelize and bring others into their fold, acting like arrogant prigs isn't a good way to do it.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: I assume by when

M wrote:
I assume by when you say "nutjobs" that you mean "mentally ill".

In a manner of speaking, sure.

Quote:
Please justify that opinion else I will have to declare it just another one your blind prejudices you seem to appeal to on just about every post you make on this forum.

Oh, please, anything but that! I don't know how I would be able to go on living.

Quote:
And yes, I have browsed this forum for some time before posting here and I know of the content you post. It doesn't impress me.

I couldn't care less.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: M

jcgadfly wrote:
M wrote:
Roisin Dubh wrote:

M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.

I've got a weird story about the wackjobs at Wheaton college. I played volleyball in college, and we were playing a match at Wheaton. During one of the games, I made a boneheaded play and let out a "goddammit!" out of frustration. The ENTIRE gym went silent. The players on the Wheaton team all stared straight at the floor, as if they didnt want to bear witness to the shame that I was surely about to feel. Some school official went and spoke to the referree, who then told our coach that vulgarity and blasphemy would not be accepted there, and that there would be repercussions if there was any more swearing. A similar occurence happened at Olivet Nazarene College in Kankakee. Nutbags, the lot of them.

I've got a list of other targets you might want to set your sights on in my beloved Chicago, should anyone want them(Willow Creek -- EVIL!). On the bright side, in the time it took me to write this, the Chicago catholic archdiocese probably shut down 3 more churches/schools due to declining attendance.

 

So, because while you were playing on their stadium (a private college), which enforces it's own rules (which you should be aware of) and you felt that disrespecting them in such a way was perfectly acceptable that they are "nut jobs"?

Sorry. I don't follow.

A release of frustration natural to the person releasing it (who probably was not aware of the organization's rules at that time) in the heat of competition should not have been treated like an earth-shattering event but as a simple mistake. If Christians want to evangelize and bring others into their fold, acting like arrogant prigs isn't a good way to do it.

 

I don't see your opinion as justifiable. They went into that stadium knowing the beliefs of the people they were competing against. Furthermore, they were given a warning, not kicked off the field or shot. And I fail to see how they are attempting to act out some sort of evangelism when asking their guests to show respect to their customs and beliefs on their own property.

 The attempts to reason this in favor of the objectors seems a silly and sad excuse for condoning disrespect.

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: By the way,

Susan wrote:

By the way, are the xians in Chicago boycotting us now, too? Smiling

 That's a good question.  Since I boycotted them, it's been hard to monitor their activities! Eye-wink

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: I don't see your

M wrote:
I don't see your opinion as justifiable. They went into that stadium knowing the beliefs of the people they were competing against. Furthermore, they were given a warning, not kicked off the field or shot. And I fail to see how they are attempting to act out some sort of evangelism when asking their guests to show respect to their customs and beliefs on their own property.

 The attempts to reason this in favor of the objectors seems a silly and sad excuse for condoning disrespect.

You are right, but his point was about the reaction of the others. He did not mean to insult anyone. They could at least have showed his mistake in a polite way and understood the personal circumstances.

Your initial post seems to indicate that such reactions are and will be common, which I do not regard as natural or benevolent in any way.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
It's also a very normal

It's also a very normal thing to do in sports - very silly to forbid it (except maybe in little league.) If they don't like it they should form their own all-church league.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis wrote: M

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
M wrote:
I don't see your opinion as justifiable. They went into that stadium knowing the beliefs of the people they were competing against. Furthermore, they were given a warning, not kicked off the field or shot. And I fail to see how they are attempting to act out some sort of evangelism when asking their guests to show respect to their customs and beliefs on their own property. The attempts to reason this in favor of the objectors seems a silly and sad excuse for condoning disrespect.
You are right, but his point was about the reaction of the others. He did not mean to insult anyone. They could at least have showed his mistake in a polite way and understood the personal circumstances.Your initial post seems to indicate that such reactions are and will be common, which I do not regard as natural or benevolent in any way.
 It seems to I that you cannot regard it as such because you would prefer to cast the blame on the college rather than the fact that all it takes is common sense here not to utter such foul language at a private Christian university and expect people to just glance over it like it didn't happen.The man was given a warning not to say it again. He wasn't punished. It was a reasonable call and no sense of outbursts is a good enough excuse.You're taking it to the extreme by assuming that they should have simply not said anything at all and rather let the man continue in his mistakes so as to offend them further. It's a nice excuse, but I think a reasonable individual would call it nonsense and an attempt to justify disrespect. 

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: It's

MattShizzle wrote:
It's also a very normal thing to do in sports - very silly to forbid it (except maybe in little league.) If they don't like it they should form their own all-church league.
Yeah, because it's rude to asks people to respect you while they're on your property and to let them offend you with no problems whatsoever.

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
If they don't like it they

If they don't like it they can drop out of the conference - simple as that. If they are such fucktards that they don't like freedom of speech they should leave the US. I personally think the easily offended should be placed in an institution - so they don't have to be worried about being offended and the rest of us can keep our freedoms.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: It seems to I that

M wrote:
It seems to I that you cannot regard it as such because you would prefer to cast the blame on the college rather than the fact that all it takes is common sense here not to utter such foul language at a private Christian university and expect people to just glance over it like it didn't happen.The man was given a warning not to say it again. He wasn't punished. It was a reasonable call and no sense of outbursts is a good enough excuse.You're taking it to the extreme by assuming that they should have simply not said anything at all and rather let the man continue in his mistakes so as to offend them further. It's a nice excuse, but I think a reasonable individual would call it nonsense and an attempt to justify disrespect. 

No, I actually didn't say "should have said nothing", but "should have used a more polite way to say it", I don't think any of the moderators modified my post, did they?

Actually, my response was way too far from the intention to take anything to the extreme. I was just making a connection with:

M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.

...that seems to point out that such attitude of profound religious disgust on others is common in that particular college.

 

Would you care to explain your statements, and what you actually meant with that initial "Good luck..." sentence? Because right now I think it is you who has some explaining to do, not me/us.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
The fact that they had a

The fact that they had a rule against that sort of language was not the issue -- they are a private university and they can make whatever rules they want concerning the use of their facilities.  The main reason why the mention of Wheaton College brings up that memory is the sheer horror on the look of the Wheaton players and students in the stands.  It was if they truly expected lightning to strike me down on the spot.  It's not like I suggested a school dance where kids of opposite gender would touch or anything.  Geez.........

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


M
Theist
Posts: 68
Joined: 2007-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis wrote: M

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
M wrote:
It seems to I that you cannot regard it as such because you would prefer to cast the blame on the college rather than the fact that all it takes is common sense here not to utter such foul language at a private Christian university and expect people to just glance over it like it didn't happen.The man was given a warning not to say it again. He wasn't punished. It was a reasonable call and no sense of outbursts is a good enough excuse.You're taking it to the extreme by assuming that they should have simply not said anything at all and rather let the man continue in his mistakes so as to offend them further. It's a nice excuse, but I think a reasonable individual would call it nonsense and an attempt to justify disrespect. 
No, I actually didn't say "should have said nothing", but "should have used a more polite way to say it", I don't think any of the moderators modified my post, did they?Actually, my response was way too far from the intention to take anything to the extreme. I was just making a connection with:
M wrote:
Good luck taking on Wheaton College.
...that seems to point out that such attitude of profound religious disgust on others is common in that particular college. Would you care to explain your statements, and what you actually meant with that initial "Good luck..." sentence? Because right now I think it is you who has some explaining to do, not me/us.
1.) They didn't seem rude about it. I think they were expecting that these people not use such language when they went there. Obviously it was loud enough for the entire stadium to hear, so it wasn't just some frustrating under the breath sort of remark. The guy didn't just make a mistake, he made a stupid one that offended the entire school.Had it been a stadium full of african americans and he had yelled at the N word in frustration I'm sure they would have taken it the same way if not worse.2.) What I meant by "good luck" was precisely that. IF you want to take on some Christians in Chicago prepare for many more experienced and intelligent ones than you are probably expecting. The comment was essentially a counter to the overall attitude here towards Christians...that they are somehow stupid and unable to make a rational thought.

I obtained my Black Belt in History. Don't mess with this Master Historian.


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: IF you want to

M wrote:
IF you want to take on some Christians in Chicago prepare for many more experienced and intelligent ones than you are probably expecting. The comment was essentially a counter to the overall attitude here towards Christians...that they are somehow stupid and unable to make a rational thought.

As someone born and raised within the constructs of the Chicago christian system, attended christian elementary school, high school, and university, and someone who has lived here all of his 32 years, I assure you, there would be nothing unexpected about the main players in the Chicago christian community. I dont think anybody here isnt familiar with Dominic Crossan, or Marty Marty, for example.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
M wrote: 1.) They didn't

M wrote:
1.) They didn't seem rude about it. I think they were expecting that these people not use such language when they went there. Obviously it was loud enough for the entire stadium to hear, so it wasn't just some frustrating under the breath sort of remark. The guy didn't just make a mistake, he made a stupid one that offended the entire school.Had it been a stadium full of african americans and he had yelled at the N word in frustration I'm sure they would have taken it the same way if not worse.2.) What I meant by "good luck" was precisely that. IF you want to take on some Christians in Chicago prepare for many more experienced and intelligent ones than you are probably expecting. The comment was essentially a counter to the overall attitude here towards Christians...that they are somehow stupid and unable to make a rational thought.

1) I already said you are right, twice even, I don't dispute he made a mistake that offended. But if they were "good neighbors", perhaps they would have found a more diplomatic way to solve the problem.

2) Wow! What grandeur! Tell me something: what makes you think that? Because I've debated Christians that told me something similar (not about Chicago, of course) and they turned out to be less than a challenge. What makes you think you're smarter and better prepared as a whole in Chicago's Wheaton College?

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


Apostate
Apostate's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2007-02-03
User is offlineOffline
Now I regret moving away

Now I regret moving away from Chicago more than ever!