Last questions too hard? Try these...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Last questions too hard? Try these...

Quote:
First Peter 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king

Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Hmmm... Which is it? Are we to love him or fear him? In his own words, we can't do both.

Quote:
1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Amos 9:1 I saw the LORD standing upon the altar:

Exodus 33: 11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Hmmm... Which is it? Has god ever been seen or not?

Quote:
Jeremiah 7:21Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh.

22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

Numbers 28:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, and my bread for my sacrifices made by fire, for a sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.

3And thou shalt say unto them, This is the offering made by fire which ye shall offer unto the LORD; two lambs of the first year without spot day by day, for a continual burnt offering.

4The one lamb shalt thou offer in the morning, and the other lamb shalt thou offer at even;

So which is it? Did the lord speak of burnt offerings or not?

The lord god almighty, with all his superpowers, has quite a difficult time remembering what he's said, doesn't he!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, hambydammit! What a

Hey, hambydammit! What a moron you are... You didn't read the verses carefully enough.

Don't you see? Perfect love casteth out fear... that means that before you become a Christian, you fear god because if you don't believe in him, you'll go to hell, so you're afraid. Then, when you accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior, the Holy Spirit comes down to you and fills you with perfect love, and you no longer have any fear.

Get it? You only have a need to fear God before you become a Christian, then all fear is removed.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Don't you see? Perfect

Quote:
Don't you see? Perfect love casteth out fear... that means that before you become a Christian, you fear god because if you don't believe in him, you'll go to hell, so you're afraid. Then, when you accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior, the Holy Spirit comes down to you and fills you with perfect love, and you no longer have any fear.

No, no, no. That doesn't make any sense, hambydammit!

If I'm not a Christian, it means I don't fear god because I don't believe in him. I'm not afraid of Dracula because I don't believe he exists.

If I became convinced that god exists, I'd immediately have no more cause for fear, because the moment I believed in him, I'd be saved, and his holy spirit would fill me with perfect love...

Or are you saying that there's some amount of time between my believing and the holy spirit filling me with perfect love? Where is that written in the Bible? What if I died in between believing in God and being filled with perfect love?

Can't you just admit that this is a contradiction?

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If I became convinced

Quote:
If I became convinced that god exists, I'd immediately have no more cause for fear, because the moment I believed in him, I'd be saved, and his holy spirit would fill me with perfect love...

You big dummy! You must confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord. That is the only way to be saved. It says so in the Bible. Believing is not enough. You must pray to Jesus to save you. So when you believe in God, there is fear in your heart until you accept him into your life as your personal Lord and Savior, and then the Holy Spirit fills you with perfect love. So it does make sense, after all.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just read more of that

I just read more of that scripture, and your argument doesn't make any sense, hambydammit.

Quote:
15For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

Clearly he's talking about what we should do after we are saved. If I'm not saved, why would this passage have any meaning? It wouldn't because I don't believe in god, so why would I fear him? Same question, dude! Am I supposed to fear him, or not?

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're thinking too

You're thinking too literally, hambydammit. You have to realize that there is spiritual love and physical love, and there is the fear of god, and earthly fear.

You can't understand the love of God because it is transcendent, and doesn't conform to the standards of human love. It is the same with any other emotion. We can't hold God to earthly standards. What this passage means is that all spiritual fear leaves us when we become saved. We all have an innate knowledge of God, and our spirit knows the words that he has written on our hearts. Whether on a conscious level or not, we all fear god before we have come to know him because he has written his word on our hearts, and if we're living in sin, our spirit is sick, and is in fear. When we are saved, there is no more fear. Our humanity can fear, but that is the fear of the flesh, and is transient. In heaven there will be no more fear of God because we will all be made perfect by the cleansing of our spirits by the Holy Spirit. While we are on earth, we will still experience human emotions because even though we are made "spiritually" perfect when we accept Jesus Christ as our Personal Lord and Savior.

Books about atheism

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit stop arguing

ROTF Hambydammit stop arguing with yourself.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
What? That doesn't make any

What?

That doesn't make any sense. A minute ago, you told me that we were talking about fear. You didn't mention "spiritual fear" until I completely trashed your argument and forced you into taking it to some metaphysical level. That's just a trick of word play to let you get out of admitting that the bible can't even figure out what it is saying, which means that either A) God doesn't know what he's talking about, or B) God didn't care to give us an accurate description of what it is he expects from us.

If it's A, then you're screwed because god isn't perfect, and the whole thing collapses. If it's B, then god's a dick, because he could have given us a perfect book instead of giving us one that was supposed to be perfect, but was completely fucked logically.

How are we atheists supposed to believe in this bastard if he won't even throw us one bone? If we could demonstrate that the bible is perfect, that would be a pretty good evidence that maybe there was something to it. But it's so far from perfect, it leads us to believe the obvious truth: The bible is flawed, God is impossible as described therein, and you are full of crap and don't even realize it.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, geez. I just don't feel

Oh, geez. I just don't feel like arguing about this anymore. You obviously just don't understand the difference between faith and reason, and that faith is necessary to believe higher truths that are given to us through divine revelation.

I'm going to go pray for you, you sick, twisted bastard.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, you're not even going to

So, you're not even going to address those other obvious flaws in the bible?

I know it doesn't matter much, because if there's one error, there might as well be ten thousand. It still goes back to the fact that if God didn't feel like giving us a perfect book, and then he's going to claim it's a perfect book, then he's a damn liar anyway.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
(sounds of crickets in the

(sounds of crickets in the background)

(it appears hambydammit has moved on to another blog to debate the merits of philosophy as an objective means to prove the existence of any deity...)

Books about atheism