Bad news for wanna-be ""blasphemers""

lookingup
Theist
Posts: 2
Joined: 2007-10-18
User is offlineOffline
Bad news for wanna-be ""blasphemers""

Hey kids, Wow, this a very interesting site.  ...Someone has put in a lot of time and effort. ........... I do have a comment about your “blasphemy challenge”. .....You have hit on a subject that even a lot of “Christians” do notunderstand. ...... ............................ ............  The historical figure, a man named Jesus, was apparently drawing largecrowds by performing miracles and healing people. .....    .............    .His family and friends were beginning to think he was crazy, and they  had just made an attempt to (literally) grab him and take him home. .......   ....................................................           In the middle of all of this, the “holier than thou” religious, legalexperts were accusing him of being demon possessed, saying that it was by the power of Satan that he cast out devils and performed miracles. ......................... ............... ...........   ......     ...........  ..........  ..................   ..........    ..........     It was to these people that….. (According to eye witness testimony, copied by a man named “John Mark”)…….     ..................    ..........   ................  ..........   anyway, it was to the RELIGIOUS people, that Jesus was speaking, and He told them they were in danger of eternal damnation. .......Why?? Because they….THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS…... (Those who had copied the Old Testament and were in the temple constantly.... the ones who were supposed to be the “experts)…… They underestimated the power of God. ........Because these “RELIGIOUS EXPERTS” accredited the miracles they saw....first hand, to the power of Satan, and not to the power of God. ....And because THESE “HOLY MEN”…RELIGIOUS TEACHERS, WHO PROCLAIMED TOBE “GOD’S" "LAWYERS”,,,… … these men....even though they themselves had spent a lifetime studying, and copying the words of their own prophets….. .... Even though they knew the Words regarding the prediction of a “Christ”……even though they knew every letter of the law….. every mark….. every dot of the “word of God”…   Even with all of their "knowledge"..... they did not recognize the very thing they should have known best….the very word of God…..contained in and working through… The Word HIMSELF....the Word that was with God……and the word that WAS God…….this man….Jesus…… the Christ. ...........................................................The very Christ that they claimed to be watching and searching for. ...................................................................    

................................. 

So, hate to be the bearer of bad news, kids: .................................................................. ANYONE THAT TAKES YOUR "CHALLENGE" IS PROBABLY INCAPABLE OF RE-CREATING THAT SCENARIO AND TRULY BLASPHEMING THE HOLY SPIRIT. .........................................THEY WOULD HAVE TO COMMIT TO A LOT OF STUDY FIRST, AND THEN SEE A MIRICLE STRAIGHT FROM GOD.......AND THEN SAY SATAN DID IT. ................................................................... ...  AND TO DO THAT: THEY WOULD ALSO HAVE TO TRULY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A GOD, AND TRULY BELIEVE THERE IS A SATAN.  ............................. ........................................................................... Sorry if this disappoints anyone. ........especially anone who had their heart set on a guarantied place in hell....there are no guaranties until you do the "appointed to man once to die" thing....then you get the judgement....until then....it's all up for grabs...even for the worst slimey sinner.............................................................

One other note: There is an interesting Bible that is not the normal “Holy Bible’ that people usually see. ................... It is called the "ARCHIOLOGICAL STUDY BIBLE" and it is full of very clear photographs of artifacts and even has translations of ancient writings that are similar to scriptures in the Bible. It’s also a good book if you like ones with lots of pictures. .......................................Another plus: it does not hide from criticism, and contradiction, but it openly discusses a huge amount of issues, doubts, and controversy............................  Many people who have studied Hebrew and Christian scripture, those who have studied ancient history, and also those that tend toward intellectual arguments, are fascinated by this book. So some of you may like it. Would it do any good to challenge you to go get a copy??  .....

....till then, find a good ol' boring Bible, and read... ......   Deuteronomy 31, verse 24

...... and Deut. 32, verse 3. .................. John, 1 verses 1 through 18  


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
Holy shit, that changes

Holy shit, that changes everything. It's like my world is crumbling. 


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
This argument has already

This argument has already been addressed numerous times, even on YouTube.  I don't feel like looking it up right now (been sick).  If someone has one of the refutation URLs handy, would you please post it? Smiling

Remember that the OP hasn't been here and seen all the conversations, so it would be courteous to get him/her up to speed.

Thank you.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hey kids I

Quote:

Hey kids

I haven't been called a "kid" in years, nor, I am sure have most on the site.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


lgnsttefrst
Posts: 44
Joined: 2007-06-07
User is offlineOffline
Im I the only one who sees

Im I the only one who sees half the post as a bunch of dots?


BizarroAzrael
Posts: 39
Joined: 2007-08-01
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm sure I might be

Well, I'm sure I might be able to either politly critique your points or tear you down depending on your tact, but I just can't read that.  What is it with theists and crazy formatting?  The abuse of the full-stop doesn't help either.

 

F-, see me after class. 


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
   lookingup.... Thanks

   lookingup.... Thanks for that, I dig your passion. I am an atheist and a Jesus, Mythology, History,  Science fan.

Personally I think that "Jesus" would love RRS and it's mission.

It is your good luck you have found this site, and truly friend read the essays by the RRS Authors, Rook and Todangst at left, and the others.

Saving the kids is what it's all about ....

  


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Hey kids

I haven't been called a "kid" in years, nor, I am sure have most on the site.  

A lot of first-time posters have called us "kids."  Perhaps it's because Brian, Kelly and Rook are young or relatively young and those are the faces they initially see.

But yes, lookingup, we come in all ages. I'm sort of in the middle somewhere.  Others here have ten or twenty years on me.

I also had trouble reading your post due to formatting issues.  I did get the gist of it, though.  The ideas put forth have already been discussed at length.

Is this enough to get me damned?

Ahem: The Holy Spirit is Satan.  Only an unclean spirit could be behind the atrocities committed by the Christian church in the past two thousand years.

I'll do whatever is necessary to make sure I'm damned to hell.

The point of the blasphemy challenge is that we don't believe in god, the bible or any of the silly rules laid out by it.  Maybe to fully and properly damn ourselves we need to shout, "Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!"  It really doesn't matter because no matter what we do, we can't damn ourselves to a non-existent place built by a non-existent god to punish his creation for non-existent sins committed against non-existent rules.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
Posts: 481
Joined: 2007-04-07
User is offlineOffline
I recommend concision and

I recommend concision and proper formatting. You had us read, in 608 words, what could be said in 11. "Blaspheming the Holy Spirit requires witnessing the Holy Spirit do something."

Consider this response a following of the Bible's teaching: eye for eye, tooth for tooth, irritant for irritant, and belittlement for belittlement.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15645
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
This is just another hit

This is just another hit and run, notice it was the first post? I hope this person actually reads the responses.

In addition to the refutation of this argument being repeated many times before, it is even more simple than what this apologists is making it out to be.

This Christian can blaspheme Smurfs or Batman, but what exactly would they be doing? Well, that is what we are doing with the "holy spirit"

Blaspheming the holy spirit is like blaspheming Harry Potter or Smurfs. It is not done to show hate or anger at something fictional. It is done to demonstrate to others that there is nothing to be afraid of in the first place. It is like showing a kid the shaddow in their closet is just a shaddow and not a real boogie man.

The "holy spirit" is just a work of fiction people like believing. No bolt of lightening is going to smite you if you speak ill of Thor or Spiderman. And nothing will happen to you if you blaspheme a fictional "holy spirit".

Quote your work of fiction all you want. We are not trying to piss off Micky Mouse, much less the zombie god named Jesus. We are merely demonstrating that boogiemen in the sky dont exist, not Allah, not Yahwey and not yours either. It is nothing but myth. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5424
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
I'm not worried, my dog has

I'm not worried, my dog has secured me a good place in hell. A nice little penthouse overlooking the sea of flame in the lust circle of hell. Prime real estate right there.

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


mindspread
mindspread's picture
Posts: 360
Joined: 2007-02-18
User is offlineOffline
Well, that's it for me. 

Well, that's it for me.  I'm convinced.  Slap a "Theist" badge on me.

 A person who uses that many periods, has got to know what they're talking about.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Not to mention someone who

Not to mention someone who does an "invisible" post you have to highlight to see.


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the

Thanks for the insight..................................... Most of us have never thought deeply about this subject....................................... We just blithely................make claims and hope no one .......................... calls uson it.............. You are a ray of hope to us all ..................... Now, suck it.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer


stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
Posts: 55
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: Well,

mindspread wrote:

Well, that's it for me. I'm convinced. Slap a "Theist" badge on me.

A person who uses that many periods, has got to know what they're talking about.

I don't know...the periods were pretty convincing, but I'm not sold until he types his argument in all caps.

This has probably been discussed enough, but I agree that the Blasphemy Challenge is more about not being afraid than anything else.  Just like everything else in the bible, everyone tries to "interpret" this part of it however they see fit.  This person says that to blaspheme the holy spirit, you have to witness, in person, his "work".  Someone stated elsewhere that you have to kill yourself.  When I worked as a church musician for six years (yeah, an atheist making money off the church...that probably makes me a hypocrite), the pastor, who had masters degrees in Greek (the language) and theology and has studied ancient Greek bible text, seems to think that in order to blaspheme the holy spirit, you have to claim to possess the power of the holy spirit.  Since the idea of the holy spirit was invented by man, and is therefore nothing more than a poorly written, convoluted, overly wordy, uninteresting, contradictory fairy tale, that means that the holy spirit has exactly ZERO power.  Therefore, it is very easy for me to claim that I have MORE power than the holy spirit...you know, existence (as opposed to non-existence) has its perks.

 

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
People

People who....................... don't understand..................... what the blasphemy challenge is about will think it's an argument against god.

 

I couldn't go on with the .'s. 


davidnay2007
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-10-13
User is offlineOffline
Atheists....... I have good

Atheists....... I have good news........ You'll be happy to know that simply being an atheist is enough to earn us a one way ticket to hell where we will happily burn for eternity aside Gandhi and Mother Teresa............ Heck......... who needs the blasphemy challenge anyway............


shikko
Posts: 448
Joined: 2007-05-23
User is offlineOffline
That post...was typed

That post...was typed by...Captain Kirk.

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!


Fish
Posts: 315
Joined: 2007-05-31
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote: That

shikko wrote:

That post...was typed by...Captain Kirk.

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

omg.  re-reading the original post in Kirk-voice is simply hilarious. 


GypsyWytch
GypsyWytch's picture
Posts: 47
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Kids?

If you want me to take anything you said seriously, you're going to first have to learn some respect and stop addressing us as "kids".  We're not kids.  Brian, Kelly and Rook are in their twenties as am I.  And the rest of the people on this forum are adults.  So, yeah, learn some respect first, and then we'll talk.

Liberate your mind. Fuck religion.


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
DOTS AND

HYPNO DOTS AND CAPS................................................................... DOTS AND CAPS...................................................................MUST OBEY OBEY

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote: HYPNO DOTS AND

aiia wrote:
HYPNO DOTS AND CAPS................................................................... DOTS AND CAPS...................................................................MUST OBEY OBEY

Jesus is coming.....................

hold up..........

he's still coming........

wait a second.......................................................this is a like a japanesse video game.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote: That

shikko wrote:

That post...was typed by...Captain Kirk.

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

...  

 Hmm...I thought Shatner was Jewish.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
GypsyWytch wrote: If you

GypsyWytch wrote:

If you want me to take anything you said seriously, you're going to first have to learn some respect and stop addressing us as "kids".  We're not kids.  Brian, Kelly and Rook are in their twenties as am I.  And the rest of the people on this forum are adults.  So, yeah, learn some respect first, and then we'll talk.

Yeah, it's pretty silly to disrespect someone due to youth.  There are lots of young people who are worthy of respect and some older people who simply aren't.

Also--and this should be beside the point--a large part of the RRS aren't in their twenties.  This includes VIPs like todangst, deludedgod, etc.

I just hit the bit 4-0 back in August, so I don't respond to "hey kid" anymore.

I've been trying to be more courteous to those I suspect of being hit-and-run posters so that we can have a dialogue.  It's disappointing when they never show up again.

I invite lookingup to come back and try again.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: aiia

Ophios wrote:

aiia wrote:
HYPNO DOTS AND CAPS................................................................... DOTS AND CAPS...................................................................MUST OBEY OBEY

Jesus is coming.....................

hold up..........

he's still coming........

wait a second.......................................................this is a like a japanesse video game.

Jesus is coming?  Quick, get an umbrella!

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
Posts: 259
Joined: 2007-08-05
User is offlineOffline
Once i saw all of those

Once i saw all of those dots,i stopped reading.


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 699
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
It's odd that it didn't

It's odd that it didn't occur to him during the entire post, that all those convoluted rules don't really even mean anything.

 No, you have to see a miracle first!  THEN you have to hit Up, Down, B, A, X, Up, Up, Left, and then click the right stick. 


shikko
Posts: 448
Joined: 2007-05-23
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: It's

stuntgibbon wrote:

It's odd that it didn't occur to him during the entire post, that all those convoluted rules don't really even mean anything.

No, you have to see a miracle first! THEN you have to hit Up, Down, B, A, X, Up, Up, Left, and then click the right stick.

It's Up, Up, Dn, Dn, L, R, L, R, B, A, (start) or nothing.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Alright kids, that's enough.

Alright kids, that's enough.


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
lookingup wrote: Hey kids,

lookingup wrote:

Hey kids, Wow, this a very interesting site. ...Someone has put in a lot of time and effort. ........... I do have a comment about your “blasphemy challenge”. .....You have hit on a subject that even a lot of “Christians” do notunderstand. ...... ............................ ............ The historical figure, a man named Jesus, was apparently drawing largecrowds by performing miracles and healing people. ..... ............. .His family and friends were beginning to think he was crazy, and they had just made an attempt to (literally) grab him and take him home. ....... .................................................... In the middle of all of this, the “holier than thou” religious, legalexperts were accusing him of being demon possessed, saying that it was by the power of Satan that he cast out devils and performed miracles. ......................... ............... ........... ...... ........... .......... .................. .......... .......... It was to these people that….. (According to eye witness testimony, copied by a man named “John Mark”)……. .................. .......... ................ .......... anyway, it was to the RELIGIOUS people, that Jesus was speaking, and He told them they were in danger of eternal damnation. .......Why?? Because they….THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS…... (Those who had copied the Old Testament and were in the temple constantly.... the ones who were supposed to be the “experts)…… They underestimated the power of God. ........Because these “RELIGIOUS EXPERTS” accredited the miracles they saw....first hand, to the power of Satan, and not to the power of God. ....And because THESE “HOLY MEN”…RELIGIOUS TEACHERS, WHO PROCLAIMED TOBE “GOD’S" "LAWYERS”,,,… … these men....even though they themselves had spent a lifetime studying, and copying the words of their own prophets….. .... Even though they knew the Words regarding the prediction of a “Christ”……even though they knew every letter of the law….. every mark….. every dot of the “word of God”… Even with all of their "knowledge"..... they did not recognize the very thing they should have known best….the very word of God…..contained in and working through… The Word HIMSELF....the Word that was with God……and the word that WAS God…….this man….Jesus…… the Christ. ...........................................................The very Christ that they claimed to be watching and searching for. ...................................................................

.................................

So, hate to be the bearer of bad news, kids: .................................................................. ANYONE THAT TAKES YOUR "CHALLENGE" IS PROBABLY INCAPABLE OF RE-CREATING THAT SCENARIO AND TRULY BLASPHEMING THE HOLY SPIRIT. .........................................THEY WOULD HAVE TO COMMIT TO A LOT OF STUDY FIRST, AND THEN SEE A MIRICLE STRAIGHT FROM GOD.......AND THEN SAY SATAN DID IT. ................................................................... ... AND TO DO THAT: THEY WOULD ALSO HAVE TO TRULY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A GOD, AND TRULY BELIEVE THERE IS A SATAN. ............................. ........................................................................... Sorry if this disappoints anyone. ........especially anone who had their heart set on a guarantied place in hell....there are no guaranties until you do the "appointed to man once to die" thing....then you get the judgement....until then....it's all up for grabs...even for the worst slimey sinner.............................................................

One other note: There is an interesting Bible that is not the normal “Holy Bible’ that people usually see. ................... It is called the "ARCHIOLOGICAL STUDY BIBLE" and it is full of very clear photographs of artifacts and even has translations of ancient writings that are similar to scriptures in the Bible. It’s also a good book if you like ones with lots of pictures. .......................................Another plus: it does not hide from criticism, and contradiction, but it openly discusses a huge amount of issues, doubts, and controversy............................ Many people who have studied Hebrew and Christian scripture, those who have studied ancient history, and also those that tend toward intellectual arguments, are fascinated by this book. So some of you may like it. Would it do any good to challenge you to go get a copy?? .....

....till then, find a good ol' boring Bible, and read... ...... Deuteronomy 31, verse 24

...... and Deut. 32, verse 3. .................. John, 1 verses 1 through 18

 Was this post delivered by Western Union telegram?  Jesus fucking christ.

As for your point, Mr. OP, a big YAWWWWWWNNNNNNN comin' at ya.  Stop boring everyone. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


bzeurunkl
Theist
bzeurunkl's picture
Posts: 41
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I recommend

Quote:
I recommend concision and proper formatting. You had us read, in 608 words, what could be said in 11.

 

Hear Hear!  Thanks for taking the time to distill it for me.  My eyes were beginning to swim just trying to read it.


bzeurunkl
Theist
bzeurunkl's picture
Posts: 41
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
Stolen from some other

Stolen from some other website - but I like it:

Quote:

The Challenge is basically this. Read Matthew 12:31.... and then attempt to do what it says by deliberately saying that you "blaspheme (or deny) the Holy Spirit."

Does this actually work?

Most Christians seem intent on demonstrating that these people cannot actually do it because they do not understand what it actually means.

Personally, I think the mere attempt is more than sufficient. Eye-wink

I mean... really... If you are deliberately saying this in an attempt to actually do it, then I think you have probably succeeded, at least in the spirit of the thing (which, after all, is really where it counts).

:

:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Personally, for The Six, I do not care. They can take their blasphemy challenge and go straight to hell for all I care. Bye-Bye... See ya!


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hey kids stop   I

Quote:
Hey kids
stop

 

I really hate that stop

In fact I stopped right there stop


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: It's

stuntgibbon wrote:

It's odd that it didn't occur to him during the entire post, that all those convoluted rules don't really even mean anything.

 No, you have to see a miracle first!  THEN you have to hit Up, Down, B, A, X, Up, Up, Left, and then click the right stick. 

stuntgibbon wins...flawless victory...fatality

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Speck
Theist
Posts: 6
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I think the main point

I think the main point is...and I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned or somehow refuted (there are a lot of posts here...it's hard not to miss some).

I think simply put it goes like this: The unforgivable Blasphemy that is spoken of in the bible is nearly impossible to truly perform. You'd have to recreate many circumstances of the time...which is difficult to say the least. Further - you have to actually believe in God and the devil and heaven and hell, or else it's saying something you obviously don't understand the penalty for, giving you a chance to repent whenever you see fit, if you're still breathing that is.

If I'm correct, the Blasphemy Challenge is so people can make a choice and stick to it - well, this is all good and well. But it underestimates Gods mercy. The only sure unforgivable sin is murdering yourself...er...suicide. Since you commit murder, but you can't ask forgiveness for it...that'd be my take on that anyway. Please, PLEASE, don't go committing suicide to prove a point or stick to a belief. As rude as I think the concept of the "Blasphemy Challenge" is, I think doing (as one member put it) "anything" to condemn yourself, is a little silly.

God bless.

 

 


Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
Posts: 481
Joined: 2007-04-07
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums, Speck

Welcome to the forums, Speck Smiling

The purpose of the blasphemy challenge is to get atheists to come out the closet, to raise awareness of atheism, and to show Christians that even the worst threats of torment--regardless of whether they're actively presented or passive-aggressively presented--will not make them close their minds and cease being freethinkers.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!


Speck
Theist
Posts: 6
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox

Visual_Paradox wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Speck Smiling

The purpose of the blasphemy challenge is to get atheists to come out the closet, to raise awareness of atheism, and to show Christians that even the worst threats of torment--regardless of whether they're actively presented or passive-aggressively presented--will not make them close their minds and cease being freethinkers.

 

Whew - here I was thinking I was about to be bombarded with trolls. haha Umm...off topic question - what're "points" that apparently I get for posting...?

 Back on topic - I see. So it's more of a...huge gesture, more than a don't look back sort of thing? Either way, anyone with a true knowledge of what the unforgivable blasphemy is, would only be frustrated that people thought the challenge made any sense... That's what got me right off, was that it seemed to be ill informed...I'm a perfectionist...a procrastinating perfectionist btw...so you can imagine how tough life can be for me, lol - but I hate when things aren't as they should be...I simply feel that the "Blasphemy Challenge" is showing a lack of research into the religion itself. What I mean to say is...to refute, we must first understand...The Blasphemy Challenge is pointless since...everyone sins, and it's little more than doing that. Using the lords name in vain can be considered blasphemy, most everyone has done just that. The Blasphemy Challenge is just asking people to record that sin...in other words, you could just as easily ask for a video of someone having premarital sex or stealing something. (one's porn, and the other's illegal, but you get the point. lol)

 

God bless 


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: God bless

Speck wrote:
God bless

Please, stop it.


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
Not everyone interprets

Not everyone interprets scripture the same way, and most adherents don't know what they're really practicing anyway, so this 'problem' is pretty academic. The challenge started some dialogs with theists, promoted the RRS and Brian Flemmings's DVD, and emboldened some atheists to speak up. As far as I know, that's all there was to it. The supernatural implications are moot.


DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
Posts: 151
Joined: 2007-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote:

Speck wrote:

If I'm correct, the Blasphemy Challenge is so people can make a choice and stick to it - well, this is all good and well. But it underestimates Gods mercy. The only sure unforgivable sin is murdering yourself...er...suicide. Since you commit murder, but you can't ask forgiveness for it...that'd be my take on that anyway. Please, PLEASE, don't go committing suicide to prove a point or stick to a belief.

 

 

That's absolutely hideous. How can anyone believe in a merciful, loving God, while simultaneously believing that he sends depressed, hopeless, and/or mentally ill people to Hell for simply wanting a way out of all their misery? How the hell can a kind person believe that? It's really easy to stop being Christian; all you have to do is really think about things, and I'd think that if my religion had me believing that evil bullshit, I'd find some way to not believe it, because such a belief is morally reprehensible. That statement makes me positively ill. Shame on you for saying such a thing, and in the same fucking paragraph, saying we underestimate your disgusting God's mercy. I sincerely hope that if there is a Hell, it's reserved for sick, sadistic people like you. You're despicable.


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: Whew - here I

Speck wrote:

Whew - here I was thinking I was about to be bombarded with trolls. haha Umm...off topic question - what're "points" that apparently I get for posting...?

 

Points and Karma are about the same.  As you build up Karma, you are more likely to reach Nirvana.  As you build up points, you are more likely to receive an acceptance for your citizenship to Canada.  As you know, this is a land filled with beer, lumber, oil resouces, and won't be 125 degrees F during the summer of 2075.  So, post often, and you will learn more abOOt this great opportunity.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer


Speck
Theist
Posts: 6
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Speck

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Speck wrote:
God bless

Please, stop it.

No...?

DrTerwilliker wrote:


That's absolutely hideous. How can anyone believe in a merciful, loving God, while simultaneously believing that he sends depressed, hopeless, and/or mentally ill people to Hell for simply wanting a way out of all their misery? How the hell can a kind person believe that? It's really easy to stop being Christian; all you have to do is really think about things, and I'd think that if my religion had me believing that evil bullshit, I'd find some way to not believe it, because such a belief is morally reprehensible. That statement makes me positively ill. Shame on you for saying such a thing, and in the same fucking paragraph, saying we underestimate your disgusting God's mercy. I sincerely hope that if there is a Hell, it's reserved for sick, sadistic people like you. You're despicable.

 

Oh my...I won't justify that with a response... = P I will however reccommend you look into the actual religion before you pretend to understand it...no offense, but I'm sure you've misunderstood it, and you've misunderstood me. Which is easy sometimes, no harm, no foul.

 

magilum wrote:
Not everyone interprets scripture the same way, and most adherents don't know what they're really practicing anyway, so this 'problem' is pretty academic. The challenge started some dialogs with theists, promoted the RRS and Brian Flemmings's DVD, and emboldened some atheists to speak up. As far as I know, that's all there was to it. The supernatural implications are moot.

There are different ways to interpret it sure. But only addressing one interpretation can cause lack of effect and confusion of meaning...haha Plus...it doesn't come off as logical to a large group of others who don't intepret it that way...which is important. However, what works works, but the concept is flawed, and that's all I was pointing out. = )

** -God bless- **


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
*Sneezes loudly* Whew,

*Sneezes loudly*

Whew, 'scuse me.

Sure, I acknowledge that the theological concept behind the challenge can be interpreted in different ways, but nobody cares. About any of it. The bible is moot. Even if all that happens is a lot of pedantic Christians show up to correct the premise because of their particular interpretation, the conversation has begun.


DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
Posts: 151
Joined: 2007-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: Oh my...I

Speck wrote:

Oh my...I won't justify that with a response... = P I will however reccommend you look into the actual religion before you pretend to understand it...no offense, but I'm sure you've misunderstood it, and you've misunderstood me. Which is easy sometimes, no harm, no foul.

How have I misunderstood you?  Did you or did you not say that suicide is a sure-fire way to be damned?  And if I misunderstood you, why would you not want to set me right?  Could it be that you just want to allude to some error on my part rather than actually have to find one to point out, so you don't have to sound like an even more ignorant prick?  I don't think I stated any facts about your religion; rather I gave my opinion on your ridiculously offensive statement and the god you worship.  Clearly you're incapable of actually explaining yourself. 

And don't pull that "I'm Christian, so I'm going to be super polite and above it all, because I'm so moral and God loves me and not these people" horse shit.  You've already forfeited the moral high ground, and made your true colors absolutely clear.


Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
Posts: 1484
Joined: 2007-03-18
User is offlineOffline
I...........................

I.............................   ....... Just have........................... something to say..............................................................................................................

YAWN............


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5424
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Speck I believe you have

Speck I believe you have found the Dr's hot button. Which by the way I agree with the good (evil?) Dr. If your post didn't clearly say that suicide is a surefire way to be damned to hell I don't know what it said. Of course, I have had religious people scream at me that I am going to hell for a variety of things, none of them suicide.

Personally, I think God (your christian one) is rather vain. I mean really, you can committ mass murder, rape, torture and a variety of horrible acts but if you repent and have faith in me you can sit is heaven. If you live your life as a saint to others but deny his existence to your death you rot in hell. Sounds like someone has an inferiority complex to me.

This site is for learning, so show me where I am wrong. I admit, I have difficulty grasping the Christian God, he is so bipolar and far more illogical than most of the other gods.

 

Dog Bless

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 699
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: The only sure

Speck wrote:

The only sure unforgivable sin is murdering yourself...er...suicide. Since you commit murder, but you can't ask forgiveness for it...

 

This is the whole thing right here...  The concept you've described, or rather echoed from other Christians, is not a basis for morality at all.  A deed being ok and forgivable as long as you're around to ask for forgiveness?   There isn't a separation here at all between right and wrong, it's just "do" and then say you're sorry.

 Another way in which I (and many here) are more moral than your god, I'm flatout not going to murder someone, ever.   With or without permission or forgiveness from anyone, there's no good reason for me to cause that suffering.


WormGetsItsWings
WormGetsItsWings's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-08-22
User is offlineOffline
The point of the blasphemy

The point of the blasphemy challenge was never to try to go to hell, as most of us don't believe hell even exists. It was to show christianity that we are not afraid of the threats they make of hellfire and damnation by deliberately defying the word of Jesus. Even if the blasphemy clause in the bible was misinterpreted, it only goes to show that the book should not be taken literally, as it is widely open to personal interpretation.

"On mine honour, my friend, [...] there is nothing of all that whereof thou speakest: there is no devil and no hell. Thy soul will be dead even sooner than thy body; fear, therefore, nothing any more!"

- from Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra


lookingup
Theist
Posts: 2
Joined: 2007-10-18
User is offlineOffline
To those who are offended

To those who are offended by the dots, Sorry.

And please forgive how long it has taken to check back in. We all have busy lives. I'm sorry it seemed like a "hit and run".

Also, I find it very interesting being referred to as a "he".  Hmmm?

 Also, please forgive my greeting everyone as "kids". It is a thing I picked up from one of my sisters. She always called everyone "kid", it didn't matter to her if they were 80 or 8. It was a term of endearment, and a habit that I have now, in her honor.

 As for the rest. It would take a long time to explain to you why I believe.

 You would have to have walked in my shoes and seen through my eyes the things that I have seen.

I WOULD TYPE IN ALL CAPS IF I THOUGHT THAT WOULD MAKE YOU BELIEVE.

However, belief is something that you have to admit is inside you. You have to quit fighting, railing and kicking against it, PAUL.

 Life on this earth is imperfect. There are too many human elements.

 That is what you get when you have "free will."

And it would be too simplistic to explain away all pain and heartache by saying that "there is no God."

That is the easy and broad way out.

 Faith can be a hard path to follow sometimes.

 Hopefully, most Christians remember what it was like to not believe. And, hopefully, if they post here, you will see that they just want you to understand what they have experienced.

I hope that other believers treat you with  respect, and that you will treat them with respect also.

 As for anyone "proving God" to you?

I do not know;  I don't think it is up to me or anyone else to "Prove" God's existence.

You may want to dare God to prove Himself to you. Just ask Him, or yell at Him, or maybe just "think" the challenge to Him.

Never can tell.

 As for me, If I never see another miracle, never have another prophetic dream, Never feel His presence again, never see the goodness of the Lord in this land of the living:

I will still believe.

And still pray for those who do not.

 

love, and God bless.

 


slightlyoddguy
slightlyoddguy's picture
Posts: 15
Joined: 2007-11-12
User is offlineOffline
lookingup wrote: Faith can

lookingup wrote:
Faith can be a hard path to follow sometimes.

Hmm... wonder why that is...

 Oh yeah, I remember. It's because faith is belief without evidence. Sorry lookingup, but I don't believe in that which has no evidence to support it, especially if belief in that thing would have an enormous impact on my worldview.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
lookingup wrote: However,

lookingup wrote:

However, belief is something that you have to admit is inside you. You have to quit fighting, railing and kicking against it

 

That's a horrible way of going on about it. 

 

You should be questioning your beliefs.