Voting as moral wrong

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voting as moral wrong

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/voting-moral-wrong

I believe that since everyone is telling you to vote and telling you how important voting is, one should be very skeptical of this claim. Seems this is just like the claim that 'one must believe in some type of higher power', which is by far still a majority view throughout the world and is continually pushed on everyone as fact. Voting at best is a tiny concession to the unwashed masses to ensure their enslavement the rest of the time.

Morality is kind a BS concept. So, I say voting is irrational if you have respect for individuals, if you believe in diversity, if you don't think every problem in the world can be solved with deady force, if you believe that might or a majority does not make right. I believe voting with your feet, your time and your pocketbook is much more powerful tool than telling the men with the guns what they should do. If you believe the pen is mighter than the sword, why do you think voting is so important?

Since government is deadly force(not a magic wand), voting is like the Purge movies. Once a year you get to have a say in how deadly force is to be used, the rest of the time you live under the gun. You can get back at the rich and try to get the men with guns to make everything 'fair'. There is nothing rational or scientific about this. Just raw revenge.

Respect the individual, respect the environment, reason and science should be our guide. Not this irrational mess going on today.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
EXC

EXC wrote:

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/voting-moral-wrong

I believe that since everyone is telling you to vote and telling you how important voting is, one should be very skeptical of this claim. Seems this is just like the claim that 'one must believe in some type of higher power', which is by far still a majority view throughout the world and is continually pushed on everyone as fact. Voting at best is a tiny concession to the unwashed masses to ensure their enslavement the rest of the time.

Morality is kind a BS concept. So, I say voting is irrational if you have respect for individuals, if you believe in diversity, if you don't think every problem in the world can be solved with deady force, if you believe that might or a majority does not make right. I believe voting with your feet, your time and your pocketbook is much more powerful tool than telling the men with the guns what they should do. If you believe the pen is mighter than the sword, why do you think voting is so important?

Since government is deadly force(not a magic wand), voting is like the Purge movies. Once a year you get to have a say in how deadly force is to be used, the rest of the time you live under the gun. You can get back at the rich and try to get the men with guns to make everything 'fair'. There is nothing rational or scientific about this. Just raw revenge.

Respect the individual, respect the environment, reason and science should be our guide. Not this irrational mess going on today.

Will you just shove it with your BS idea that we can live in a perfect world where no government exists?

Why don't you poney up with a solution instead of pontificating about great Ayn Rand's coochie tastes. 

THERE WILL NEVER BE A UTOPIA WHERE NO GOVERNMENT EXISTS! 

Government is a deadly force? No shit. It certainly can be, but a government is only as good as the people who care to particpate in it. You're not advocating a healthy skepticism here. You are advocating conspiracy paranoia. Goverment will never be perfect, so our ideas of voting while not perfect, are far better than North Korea, WHICH HAS A GOVERNMENT.  Or Saudi Arabia, WHICH ALSO HAS A GOVERNMENT. Or Iran WHICH ALSO HAS A GOVERNMENT. Or Cuba, WHICH ALSO HAS A GOVERNMENT. 

I love the way you are trying to gloss over your dystopia by falsely trying to echo the words of Jefferson and Paine. They certainly thought that governance should be based on reason, and railed against pulpit politics, and certainly scoffed at the fantasms of ancient mythology.  But that is not what you are doing here. You are way off the rails in implying that we can always rely on the self control of others. If that were possible laws would not be needed at all, not even traffic lights. If that were possible no politician of any party would ever be capable of corruption, and since all human behaviors, good or bad, are observable, the worst thing one can do is to trust others to have self control, and  Common law is the check on power that keeps tyranny from rising. 

My vote does count. Our system of oversight and checks on power and co equal branches of goverment are our only tools to prevent the rise of tyrants. Saying voting doesn't matter is toxic and dangerous, no matter what party or ideals one values. Saying that a system is being abused is one thing, but to say we should have no system at all is fan fiction and Ayn Rand's Magnum Pompous was a pile of dystopian garbage. 

If anything you are echoing the zeitgeist  of the founders time when only rich white men had any say in that famous "persuit of happiness". I am sorry but this is the dark side of our history that you are advocating. The founders were not Gods either, but they still set the stage for future generations to use the same words in the Constitution to free themselves through things like free speech and redress of grievence. 

You are still trying to argue the "poor Jeff Bezos, poor Elong Musk" crap here. Not buying it. 

And yes, the pen is mightier than the sword. Some of the world's greatest humanitairians were never billionaires, much less had millions. 

NOBODY WANTS REVENGE! Saying that wealth is currently abusing our system does not mean we want to end the private sector. Please just stop it with your poor me garbage. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm not anti-government or

I'm not anti-government or even libertarian. Would a libertarian say you need to get permission from government to reproduce?

The main problem with libertariansim is that we live on a tiny planet with a thin biosphere with extremely limited resources that we must share with other humans and other species. You can't do as you please and government must punish and prevent harmful behavior. and prevent monopolization of resources. Taxation is not 'the price for civilization', it is often a punishment for doing the right thing(going to work) to give to those that don't(welfare). Taxation is a cost due to the irresponsible and destructive behaviors of other(e.g. crime, having children you can't afford) that is borne by the responsible.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen