Canada Strikes Down its Prostitution Laws.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Canada Strikes Down its Prostitution Laws.

I think that Canada is smart for doing this and we should follow their example. And it surprises people when I say that it is NOT because I want a prostitute, but because I think it is STUPID for it to be illegal and for people to go to jail for it. I hope the US follows suit, but I doubt it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25468587

Canada Supreme Court strikes down prostitution laws

Terri-Jean Bedford gestures while leaving the Supreme Court of Canada following a hearing on the country's prostitution laws, in Ottawa on 13 June 2013

The Supreme Court of Canada has unanimously struck down the nation's anti-prostitution laws.

The high court deemed laws prohibiting brothels, communicating in public with clients and living on the profits of prostitution to be too sweeping.

The ruling follows a court challenge filed by former and current sex workers.

The justices' decision gives the Canadian government one year to craft new legislation.

All nine of the court's judges ruled in favour of striking the laws down, finding they were "grossly disproportionate".

Community 'nuisance'

"It is not a crime in Canada to sell sex for money," Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin wrote in Friday's decision.

Canada's criminal code currently makes it illegal to keep a brothel, communicate in public about acts of prostitution or live off its proceeds.

But Justice McLachlin wrote: "Parliament has the power to regulate against nuisances, but not at the cost of the health, safety and lives of prostitutes.

"The prohibitions at issue do not merely impose conditions on how prostitutes operate.

"They go a critical step further, by imposing dangerous conditions on prostitution; they prevent people engaged in a risky - but legal - activity from taking steps to protect themselves from the risks."

Under the ruling, the Canadian parliament has 12 months to rewrite the legislation or it will be withdrawn.

Anti-prostitution laws will continue to be enforced in the meantime.

Canadian Justice Minister Peter MacKay said the government would reflect on "this very complex matter".

"We are reviewing the decision and are exploring all possible options to ensure the criminal law continues to address the significant harms that flow from prostitution to communities, those engaged in prostitution and vulnerable persons," his statement said.

A Canadian women's rights group condemned the court's decision, saying it was a "sad day".

"We've now had confirmed that it's OK to buy and sell women and girls in this country," Kim Pate, executive director of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I think generations to come - our daughters, their granddaughters and on - will look back and say, 'What were they thinking?'"

'Compulsion from pimps'

A constitutional challenge by three women with experience in the sex trade, Terri-Jean Bedford, Amy Lebovitch and Valerie Scott, prompted the case.

In March, the Ontario Court of Appeal upheld a ban on communicating for the purpose of prostitution, a decision which Ms Bedford challenged.

The federal and Ontario governments appealed against two other parts of that decision: striking down the law against brothels; and limiting the ban on living off the avails of prostitution.

The Canadian authorities argued that they should be entitled to legislate against prostitution as they "see fit".

Lawyers for the Ottawa government reportedly claimed "if the conditions imposed by the law prejudice [sex workers'] security, it is their choice to engage in the activity, not the law, that is the cause".

But the Supreme Court ruled it was not a choice for many.

"Whether because of financial desperation, drug addictions, mental illness, or compulsion from pimps, they often have little choice but to sell their bodies for money," Justice McLachlin wrote.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been to strip clubs in

I've been to strip clubs in Canada and I think I will pass on Canadian prostitutes. Nice that it is legal though. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh seedy strip clubs and

Meh seedy strip clubs and strippers are everywhere. There's classy ones here too. I'd never think of hiring a prostitute anywhere, but if it were my kind of thing I certainly wouldn't think I could do better anywhere else.

But this isn't quite what it looks like. There's a year hiatus where the law stays in effect while the conservatives try and come up with new legislation. And because it is the conservatives, I wouldn't count on it being legal in a year. Quite the opposite. Harper is one of the smartest politicians on Earth, if not the smartest. That's not a good thing in my view, because while his tactics and politics are genius, his ethics and ideals leave much to be desired. He's a christian and he's slimy.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Glad to see women being

Glad to see women being bought and sold

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not all prostitutes are

Not all prostitutes are women you know.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
To my knowledge

To my knowledge, no one involved in this case is being forced to do this at gunpoint and it is was happening BEFORE the law was struck down.

The only difference now is that women will not have to worry about being locked up by a criminal justice system for doing prostitution. So I would imagine that most of the prostitutes involved in this case do not feel "bought and sold" but rather feel a relief that they do not have to worry about going to jail doing it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently I'm just being

Apparently I'm just being ignored.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Meh seedy strip

Vastet wrote:
Meh seedy strip clubs and strippers are everywhere. There's classy ones here too. I'd never think of hiring a prostitute anywhere, but if it were my kind of thing I certainly wouldn't think I could do better anywhere else. But this isn't quite what it looks like. There's a year hiatus where the law stays in effect while the conservatives try and come up with new legislation. And because it is the conservatives, I wouldn't count on it being legal in a year. Quite the opposite. Harper is one of the smartest politicians on Earth, if not the smartest. That's not a good thing in my view, because while his tactics and politics are genius, his ethics and ideals leave much to be desired. He's a christian and he's slimy.

Typical of reporters not to include such relevant information. I didn't know that in Canada an overturned law stays in effect. In the US, the bias is towards nullifying the law, and any law overturned is immediately unenforceable unless a higher court specifically grants an injunction that keeps the law in effect pending an appeal. For example, in the case in Utah about gay marriage I recently wrote about, the higher court refused to grant an injunction so state officials are forced to grant marriage licenses to gay couples. Which is causing an abnormal number of weddings this holiday season as gay couples rush to marry in case the district court overturns the ruling. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Glad to

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Glad to see women being bought and sold

Cap is just channeling the spirit of the late Andrea Dworkin

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Apparently I'm

Vastet wrote:
Apparently I'm just being ignored.

Hawaiian shirts seems to be the answer,    or maybe  a P B  & J sandwich, who knows.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:To my

harleysportster wrote:

To my knowledge, no one involved in this case is being forced to do this at gunpoint and it is was happening BEFORE the law was struck down.

The only difference now is that women will not have to worry about being locked up by a criminal justice system for doing prostitution. So I would imagine that most of the prostitutes involved in this case do not feel "bought and sold" but rather feel a relief that they do not have to worry about going to jail doing it.

BBC wrote:

"Whether because of financial desperation, drug addictions, mental illness, or compulsion from pimps, they often have little choice but to sell their bodies for money," Justice McLachlin wrote.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
While in some cases that is

While in some cases that is true, it isn't always. And they can make some damn good money.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much going out there to help the ones who don't have much choice. Too often do governments and justice systems go after the symptoms instead of the causes.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:"Whether

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And I could say that about 99% of the work force selling themselves in some fashion. Me included, I sell labor everyday so in a sense, I am bought and sold by whatever comapny that I work for. 

― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

"Whether because of financial desperation..

Everyone has debt. Does anyone believe that women  renting their twats is the only available form of employment ?  

Cpt-pineapple wrote:
...drug addictions, mental illness

Canada has nationalized health services. Use them

Cpt-pineapple wrote:
...or compulsion from pimps, they often have little choice but to sell their bodies for money.

Bullshit.  Drop a dime on their pimp to local law enforcement and then find another line of work.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give it up Cpt. All women

Give it up Cpt. All women have their price. The anti-prostitution crusaders are just jealous high priced 'retailers' trying to kick 'WalMart' out of town.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen