Canada's Minister Apologizes

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Canada's Minister Apologizes

Apparently the Canadian Minister of Industry got himself in a bit of a problem when he made a remark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25410515

Canada minister apologises for child hunger remarks

James Moore speaks onstage at the 'Looper' opening night gala premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival 6 September 2012

Canada's industry minister has apologised for suggesting it was not the Canadian government's job to feed hungry children.

James Moore told a Vancouver radio programme, "Is it my job to feed my neighbour's child? I don't think so."

Mr Moore initially said the remarks had been taken out of context.

But he apologised on Monday after the broadcaster posted the full audio clip, and following pressure from child advocates and opposition politicians.

"In response to a question from a reporter last week, I made an insensitive comment that I deeply regret. I apologise," Mr Moore said in a statement.

"Caring for each other is a Canadian ethic that I strongly believe in," Mr Moore, a Conservative MP from British Columbia said. "All levels of government, indeed all members of our society, have a responsibility to be compassionate and care for those in need".

His remarks came after a reporter asked how Canada's government planned to reduce high child poverty in British Columbia, pointedly asking what the government was doing about children going to school hungry.

"Certainly we want to make sure that kids go to school full bellied, but is that always the government's job to be there to serve people their breakfast?" Mr Moore said.

"Empowering families with more power and resources so that they can feed their own children is, I think, a good thing. Is it my job to feed my neighbour's child? I don't think so."

One advocate, Adrienne Montani, the head of the First Call BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition, told the Toronto Star the comments were "flippant and dismissive".

And earlier on Monday, New Democratic Party MP Jinny Sims called for an apology.

"Child poverty has continued to grow under this government, and now they're saying it's not their problem," Ms Sims said

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
No problem...

It proves beyond doubt that Canada's politicians can also suffer from...........foot in mouth desease, brain on vacation disorder, "I realy said that" syndrome ; {re. Mayor Rob Ford} and you Yanks thought you had a monopoly on "boneheads" in office.                   

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

...and you Yanks thought you had a monopoly on "boneheads" in office.                 

All we "Yanks" need to do is keep up with news of the world to understand that political stupidity is a world-wide phenomena.  Project much ?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bah, you've got more than

Bah, you've got more than your fair share.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Bah, you've got

Vastet wrote:
Bah, you've got more than your fair share.

What the hell can be done about it ?  American voters have shown that they are fucking idiots who after 5 years still clamor about the sins of President Bush II and then whine about "racism" if anyone criticizes their half-black Messiah for his multiple scandals and screw-ups. 

Yeah, because he was a white man President Clinton was never subjected to the same kind of scrutiny by his political opponents was he ?  ( I hope you get the irony. )

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guns. =)

Guns. =)

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
If B.C. Canada wanted to do

If B.C. Canada wanted to do something about too many mouths to feed and not enough resources to feed them, they could start by giving this guy a vasectomy.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/the-man-with-121-children-and-24-wives

But everything else must be regulated except him. Insanity to expect any other outcome except hunger.

I think this guy set up shop in Canada because of the culture's 'unlimited' compassion. Now Canada can't be so compassionate due to population pressures.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Guns.

Vastet wrote:
Guns. =)

Ha ha.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:If B.C. Canada

EXC wrote:
If B.C. Canada wanted to do something about too many mouths to feed and not enough resources to feed them, they could start by giving this guy a vasectomy.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/the-man-with-121-children-and-24-wives

But everything else must be regulated except him. Insanity to expect any other outcome except hunger.

I think this guy set up shop in Canada because of the culture's 'unlimited' compassion. Now Canada can't be so compassionate due to population pressures.

Lolololol look at this guy. The original Brian37. Ignore the post, pretend it says something else, attack that something else, fail on all counts. Classic EXC.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see how anyone could

I don't see how anyone could be upset about what this guy said. All he said was that it government should focus on making sure that parents have the ability to get enough resources to feed kids themselves. Which to me is simply common sense. He obviously didn't mean to imply that children should starve to death, just that you don't need a fucking national government to cook breakfast for your kids in the morning.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I don't

Beyond Saving wrote:

I don't see how anyone could be upset about what this guy said. All he said was that it government should focus on making sure that parents have the ability to get enough resources to feed kids themselves. Which to me is simply common sense. He obviously didn't mean to imply that children should starve to death, just that you don't need a fucking national government to cook breakfast for your kids in the morning.

LOL.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Lolololol look

Vastet wrote:

Lolololol look at this guy. The original Brian37. Ignore the post, pretend it says something else, attack that something else, fail on all counts. Classic EXC.

Meanwhile children go hungry while compassionate Vastet ignores the obvious cause. (Sorry but no it is not that taxes are not high enough).

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Vastet

EXC wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Meanwhile children go hungry while compassionate Vastet ignores the obvious cause. (Sorry but no it is not that taxes are not high enough).

Always making up strawmen and failing to comprehend reality. How'd you teach Brian to do it anyway?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Always making

Vastet wrote:

Always making up strawmen and failing to comprehend reality. How'd you teach Brian to do it anyway?

So why doesn't Canada make a law to force you to work 2 or 3 jobs and give up gaming so you can pay for all the hungry children to eat something, if you're part of such a compassionate society? You all got to chip in to make a better society. Let me guess it's other people's responsibility not yours. Go after business until they leave.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: So why doesn't

EXC wrote:

So why doesn't Canada make a law to force you to work 2 or 3 jobs and give up gaming so you can pay for all the hungry children to eat something, if you're part of such a compassionate society?

Because 90% of the population would be in jail, dumb ass. How would that solve anything hmm?

EXC wrote:
You all got to chip in to make a better society. Let me guess it's other people's responsibility not yours. Go after business until they leave.

Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Because 90%

Vastet wrote:

Because 90% of the population would be in jail, dumb ass. How would that solve anything hmm?

Then force them to work from a jail cell(call center, etc..) or make all Canadians slaves 24/7/365. Or do you prefer to just let the hungry children of guys with 100+ kids starve? Where is your humanity?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Then force them to

EXC wrote:
Then force them to work from a jail cell(call center, etc..)

I know you're too stupid to understand, but for the benefit of everyone else: there aren't even enough jobs for everyone to have 1 job, let alone multiple jobs (which, ironically, is the reason there are hungry children in the first place; a direct result of the rich hoarding instead of investing). If the government actually found some way to make everyone work, it would be a useless make-work jobs that had no benefit to the nation or anyone in it. Like digging holes to fill them in again, for example. Since such would provide no revenue and cost hundreds of millions of dollars, EXC's brilliant stupidity would bankrupt the country in no time.

But then we've long established EXC is too stupid to understand the first thing about economics, so it is hardly a surprise that he thinks he knows how to fix everything, yet offers an unsustainable strategy as his perfect solution.