China rejects US Corn over GM

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
China rejects US Corn over GM

I am not exactly sure what all of the hype and protest over these GMO foods is about to be honest. I have not followed it and I suspect that people who do are engaging in Quackademic hyperactivity. But I could be wrong :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25461889

China rejects US corn on fears over genetic modification

China has rejected 545,000 tons of imported US corn found to contain an unapproved genetically modified strain.

An unapproved strain called MIR162 was found in 12 batches of corn, China's product safety agency said.

China backs genetically modified crops to increase food production, but has faced opposition from critics who question their safety.

The agency called on US authorities to tighten controls to ensure unapproved strains are not sent to China.

China allowed its first imports of a genetically modified crop, soybeans, in 1997. Authorities are trying to develop others that produce bigger yields or can resist insects without use of pesticides.

China has already approved 15 varieties of genetically-modified corn for imports and MIR162 is awaiting approval.

"The safety evaluation process [for MIR162] has not been completed and no imports are allowed at the moment before the safety certificate is issued," said China's vice agricultural minister, Niu Dun.

The Ministry of Agriculture has recently launched a publicity campaign to allay concerns over GM foods and says the criticisms are unfounded.

The first batch of corn was rejected in November after authorities detected MIR162.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
The main problem people have

The main problem people have with GMO stuff isn't that they're bad for people; it's that it represents corporate oppression.  Activists claim to be against GMOs, but they're basically just anti-capitalist, anti-government and anti-establishment.  If GMOs were on the "indie" wave length so to speak, I doubt people would have much of a problem with them because if you read any articles or watch testimonials from geneticists or the like, GMO shit is pretty damn harmless although there still needs to be more testing.  That being said, if it saves lives and no one starves, I'm all for it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:The main

Sage_Override wrote:

The main problem people have with GMO stuff isn't that they're bad for people; it's that it represents corporate oppression.  Activists claim to be against GMOs, but they're basically just anti-capitalist, anti-government and anti-establishment.  If GMOs were on the "indie" wave length so to speak, I doubt people would have much of a problem with them because if you read any articles or watch testimonials from geneticists or the like, GMO shit is pretty damn harmless although there still needs to be more testing.  That being said, if it saves lives and no one starves, I'm all for it.

i definitely second this. when i read about those birkenstocked motherfuckin' rich white kids with dreadlocks in greenpeace actually CONVINCING third-world governments to TURN DOWN shipments of desperately needed food because they're GMOs--these fuckin' pricks who've never had to go hungry a day in their lives--my blood boils and i want to bust some hippy skulls.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Sage_Override

iwbiek wrote:
Sage_Override wrote:

i definitely second this. when i read about those birkenstocked motherfuckin' rich white kids with dreadlocks in greenpeace actually CONVINCING third-world governments to TURN DOWN shipments of desperately needed food because they're GMOs--these fuckin' pricks who've never had to go hungry a day in their lives--my blood boils and i want to bust some hippy skulls.

This about what I thought that the sum total of it is. Every fashionable rock star trendy type protest thing I see, is usually a bunch of bullshit at the core.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno