Anti-Bacterial Soaps. Are they safe ?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anti-Bacterial Soaps. Are they safe ?

There is another link somewhere about the use of vitamins being useless that I can not find, but now, here is another one about anti-bacterial soap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25405037

US health watchdog cracks down on antibacterial soaps

A woman washes her hands with antibacterial soap in a September 2009 file photo Scientists warn antibacterial products may create resistance to antibiotics in humans (file photo)

The US health regulator has warned that antibacterial chemicals in soaps and body washes may pose health risks.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) called for a safety review of such products.

It proposed a rule requiring manufacturers to prove such soaps are safe and more effective against infection than plain soap and water.

Recent studies indicate an ingredient in such products could scramble hormone levels and boost drug-proof bacteria.

The proposal rule does not apply to alcohol-based hand sanitizers and products used in healthcare settings.

Manufacturers have until the end of 2014 to submit the results of clinical trials on their products, the FDA said. The new regulations would be finalised in 2016.

'Unanticipated hormonal effects'

"New data suggest that the risks associated with long-term, daily use of antibacterial soaps may outweigh the benefits," Colleen Rogers, an FDA microbiologist, wrote in a statement on Monday.

Certain ingredients in such products - such as triclosan in liquid soaps and triclocarban in bar soaps - may contribute to bacterial resistance to antibiotics, the agency added.

Such products may also have "unanticipated hormonal effects that are of concern", according to the statement.

Recent studies of such chemicals on animals have shown they may alter hormones, the FDA said, but such results have not yet been proven in humans.

"Because so many consumers use them, FDA believes that there should be clearly demonstrated benefits to balance any potential risks," the statement added.

If the FDA's proposed rule is finalised, companies would be required to provide data to support their product's health claims.

If they cannot, the products would be reformulated or relabelled in order to remain on the market.

In March, a federal appeals court approved a lawsuit by the non-profit Natural Resources Defense Council, aimed at forcing the FDA to review the health impacts of triclosan.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been saying for more

I've been saying for more than a decade that too much attention is being thrown at hygiene. As if washing your hands every 5 minutes is going to prevent a plague. Life adapts and evolves to fit in the environment. If the environment is toxic, but not instantly and irrevocably fatal, then life becomes resistant to that toxicity. Eventually immune. It's why medicines that used to work fine, now fail.
The smaller and simpler the life, the faster will it adapt.
There's nothing wrong with being hygenic, but it's better to ignore it completely than go overboard and force all the tiny things which can kill us to become immune to all the things we use to kill them.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i wash my hands after going

i wash my hands after going to the bathroom, before cooking, after handling raw meat, and before touching an infant. other than that, forget it. hell, most of us immediately recontaminate our hands when we dry them with the towel anyway. nothing i hate more than washing my hands. it gets rid of all the natural oils and dries them out something fierce.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i wash my hands

iwbiek wrote:
i wash my hands after going to the bathroom, before cooking, after handling raw meat, and before touching an infant. other than that, forget it. hell, most of us immediately recontaminate our hands when we dry them with the towel anyway. nothing i hate more than washing my hands. it gets rid of all the natural oils and dries them out something fierce.

Man, when I worked in retail for a bit I was compulsively washing my hands. The damned things would just chap all to hell in the winter. Finally I just said fuck it and ignored them. Did not notice any major changes when I stopped doing it every five seconds.

I DO hate to get anything on my hands and although I like to wrench on bikes, I will generally use some type of glove as I can not stand it for some reason.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Man, when I worked in retail for a bit I was compulsively washing my hands. The damned things would just chap all to hell in the winter. Finally I just said fuck it and ignored them. Did not notice any major changes when I stopped doing it every five seconds.

I DO hate to get anything on my hands and although I like to wrench on bikes, I will generally use some type of glove as I can not stand it for some reason.

yeah, i'm the exact same way, especially since i tried bricklaying once without gloves for a whole day. my hands burned like hell. fuck that hardass shit, i can do any manual job you show me how to do once, but i'll fuckin' wear gloves and you can make all the wisecracks you like.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to make fun of my dad

I used to make fun of my dad for always carrying latex gloves around for butchering animals. Now I have them laying around all over the place and don't even clean a fish without them. I'd rather be less macho than scrub my hands for minutes trying to get the blood out from the crevices of my nails or worse the smell of a fucking pig. Tasty critters, but that smell is terrible and almost impossible to wash away.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I am in agreement with

I am in agreement with everyone here. I can do any manual labor job and it does not bother me one bit. BUT, I have to have some gloves on and usually coveralls on, one for winter and one for summer. I don't mind getting dirty, but I hate haven't stuff on my hands when I need to answer a phone, reach in my pockets, or wipe my face.

― Giordano Bruno

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
One of my ex's made me a

One of my ex's made me a germaphobe and I really hate it.  I just always feel like my hands need to be clean as if I'm the reincarnation of Howard Hughes.  I know that washing my hands all the time really makes little difference, but my mind is wired to try to keep them as clean as possible at all costs.  Hopefully, I can shock myself out of it before I get to the stage of senility.