RIP to Peter O' Toole

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
RIP to Peter O' Toole

I liked him in many films, but I think my favorite roles were Caligula, Becket and later in life : Troy

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/15/251331360/peter-otoole-a-life-even-larger-than-lawrence

Peter O'Toole, the Hollywood legend who was made famous in his title role in Lawrence of Arabia, died on Saturday in a London hospital. The 81-year old Irishman was nominated for eight Oscars in his distinguished career, and was known as a bit of a hellraiser.

To those who hadn't seen the actor perform on the London stage, O'Toole was seemingly catapulted into fame. But it may be more accurate to say he charged into it. As T.E. Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia, O'Toole was tall, handsome and sensitive.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not really my generation, so

Not really my generation, so I've only seen him in crap so far. Must give that Lawrence of Arabia flick a watch.

But I do keep hearing awesome anecdotes about this guy :

Seems he was having a "liquid lunch" in a pub one day, and he ran into an old friend. Somewhere between both of them getting shitfaced and blind drunk, Peter O'Toole says : "Hey, there's this really great play. Absolutely amazing. If we hurry, we can catch the next performance"

So they go to the theatre, get good seats, and it does indeed turn out to be a fun play.

And then halfway through the play, Peter O'Toole nudges his friend and says : "Oh, This is the best part ! This is where I come on and......OH SHIT !!!!"

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:Not really

Antipatris wrote:

Not really my generation, so I've only seen him in crap so far. Must give that Lawrence of Arabia flick a watch.

But I do keep hearing awesome anecdotes about this guy :

Seems he was having a "liquid lunch" in a pub one day, and he ran into an old friend. Somewhere between both of them getting shitfaced and blind drunk, Peter O'Toole says : "Hey, there's this really great play. Absolutely amazing. If we hurry, we can catch the next performance"

So they go to the theatre, get good seats, and it does indeed turn out to be a fun play.

And then halfway through the play, Peter O'Toole nudges his friend and says : "Oh, This is the best part ! This is where I come on and......OH SHIT !!!!"

Ha ha, that made me laugh.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll miss him.

His historical films were impressive,  no one can do Henry II like Peter O'Toole but I do recommend his comedy's for memorable lines;                   "What's new Pussy cat?"  [to Paula Prentise} "What, in the name of all that is glorious, is a sem-eye-virgin?"  "In the right light I'm almost handsome."                     "My favorite year"     ;   "LIVE!!!!!  I'm not an actor I'm a movie star!!!"                 He was a movie star and a hellava actor,  RIP  you atheist, Peter O'Toole.     

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
the more i read about this

the more i read about this man, the more affinity i feel for him, especially his quip about how he hates sunlight and weather and that heaven for him would be moving from one smoke-filled room to another. heaven for me would be filled with pub crawls in winter, where the snow is falling slow and heavy, the bars are all dark hellholes, and each one has a wood-burning stove going full-blast.

i also like his story about being backstage at the oscars and asking for a drink. they offered him juice and he was like, ï'm fucking off. be back in a bit." they freaked out, afraid he would just disappear, so they smuggled a bottle of vodka in for him. i'm sort of notorious among bands i play with for disappearing for half an hour at time, just popping into nearby dive bars, especially if we're in a place i've never been before. i've never missed playing but they get nervous.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson