Most important news of the day

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most important news of the day

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/9/english-born-whiskey-critic-says-scotch-out-americ/

At least one Englishman has come to his senses and realized Kentucky Bourbon is superior to scotch. I don't agree that Buffalo Trace is the best, but we are at least arguing the same ballpark.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I recently picked up a

I recently picked up a bottle of sipping bourbon for a friend. I had asked the guy at the store, "I want one you can enjoy and savor. I do not want a mixer".

He sold me on a bottle of Booker's.

Well worth it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, duh, bourbon is better

well, duh, bourbon is better than scotch, at least in terms of quality. the bourbon standard is one of the strictest in the industry, and regulated by the government, whereas scotch, especially "blended scotch" (or any "blended whiskey"), has basically no regulation. even a cheap bourbon like old crow is going to have more quality and craftsmanship in it than scotches that cost twice as much. why the hell do you think the scottish are constantly requesting our old, used charred white oak barrels?

the only reason i like a good scotch now and then is i like the peat smokiness. i'm particularly fond of glenfiddich 12 y.o. or johnny walker black. j.w. red or cutty sark will do in a pinch, and i've recently discovered grant's ale cask finish, which is pleasant.

still, i'm an eastern kentucky boy born and raised. i grew up on moonshine of the highest order. however, i have to be a bit of a traitor and say, if i had to choose one last swallow of something before i died, it would be jack daniels old no. 7, as cliche as that is.

of the kentucky products, bulleit is my favorite because of its high rye content (i adore rye whiskey) and its reasonable price. i've also thoroughly enjoyed old whiskey river, old rip van winkle, and knob creek. i've also had elijah craig and woodford reserve, both of which are overpriced and overhyped, imo. neither comes close to knob creek or bulleit, both of which are cheaper, bulleit significantly so. the most amazing bourbon i've ever had is blanton's: it's priced sky-high and worth every penny.

too bad i'm in a country where even crap like beam costs twice as much as back home. i remember slummin' with beam in college. now a glass of beam is a rare treat. still, anytime i visit home, my dad is always good enough to give me a couple plastic tvarscki pint bottles full of kentucky moon.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought the biggest

I thought the biggest headline of the day was the fraudulent sign language interpreter at Mandelas memorial. Silly me. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I recently picked up a bottle of sipping bourbon for a friend. I had asked the guy at the store, "I want one you can enjoy and savor. I do not want a mixer".

Well worth it.

The great thing about bourbon is that I can't think of a single brand I don't enjoy neat except for the flavored ones. Booker's is a great choice if you want to buy someone something special.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woodford is one of my

Woodford is one of my regulars but one of my favorite bars has it for $2.40 a shot during happy hour and their selection isn't huge. Woodford, Beam, Wild Turkey and Makers Mark. My favorite bourbon I have ever tried is Eagle Rare Single Barrel, which is owned by Sazerac (same company that owns Blanton's and Buffalo Trace) I only tried Blanton's once and remember it being too sweet for my taste. However, I was on the bourbon trail and well plastered.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I thought the

Vastet wrote:
I thought the biggest headline of the day was the fraudulent sign language interpreter at Mandelas memorial. Silly me. :P

That's too silly to believe it actually happened. I read the story and they said the "owners of the company who hired him have vanished".

lmao.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Well worth it.

The great thing about bourbon is that I can't think of a single brand I don't enjoy neat except for the flavored ones. Booker's is a great choice if you want to buy someone something special.

Yeah, I did just that, got a special gift. My friend usually just mixes Jack with Coke but I wanted a sipping kind and it turned out really good. Needless to say he finished off the bottle by the end of the weekend.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Well worth it.

Yeah, I did just that, got a special gift. My friend usually just mixes Jack with Coke but I wanted a sipping kind and it turned out really good. Needless to say he finished off the bottle by the end of the weekend.

jack is sipping whiskey. anyone who mixes it is out of their fucking mind. jack is basically a high quality bourbon that undergoes an additional charcoal filtering process, which makes it "tennessee whiskey." only two whiskies in the world are permitted that designation: jack and george dickel. everything is made on site in lynchburg, including the white oak barrels and the charcoal, and the water is taken from the underground spring right there. unlike most whiskies, including even some bourbons, there is absolutely no other distillery anywhere in the world licensed by jack daniels. they don't make it anywhere else.

shit, shouldn't the price tell them something? jack ain't exactly cheap. if you want to mix, go get a fifth of ancient age or something. that was my standard bourbon in college. fuck, i'd still buy a fifth of ancient age before i'd be caught dead drinking shit like crown royal or j&b.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Woodford

Beyond Saving wrote:

Woodford is one of my regulars but one of my favorite bars has it for $2.40 a shot during happy hour and their selection isn't huge. Woodford, Beam, Wild Turkey and Makers Mark. My favorite bourbon I have ever tried is Eagle Rare Single Barrel, which is owned by Sazerac (same company that owns Blanton's and Buffalo Trace) I only tried Blanton's once and remember it being too sweet for my taste. However, I was on the bourbon trail and well plastered.

never had buffalo trace and never heard of eagle. i'd rather have wild turkey or makers than woodford. i love makers. i got fuckin' trashed on wild turkey 101 in college.

we had a poker night and i was in my don't give a fuck senior year attitude, so i was openly drinking out of the bottle in the lobby. i pulled the cork out with my teeth and spit it across the room like i was in a goddamn cowboy movie, took heavy pulls and had half the bottle polished off in less than 30 minutes. my tolerance was high in those days, so it always took me a while to feel the effects of even strong liquor (unlike today where a pint of beer will loosen me up within minutes after finishing it). i was tired so i went to bed and went to sleep before i felt anything.

imagine my surprise when i wake up the next morning, hungover, and my roommate says, "dude, you pissed on your guitar last night." i had absolutely no memory of it. and the poor guy was the nicest guy in the world--he fuckin' cleaned it up!

that was my first and last bottle of 101.

--Hunter S. Thompson