Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
3D printed gun made at University of Toronto

TheStar.com
GTA
U of T lab's 3D printer gun raises disturbing questions
Patterned after the Liberator — a gun design created in the U.S. on a 3D printer — the firearm would be breaking Canadian law if not altered.

By: Eric Andrew-Gee Staff Reporter, Published on Wed Jul 03 2013

Daniel Southwick has a gun. It looks like a toy. It’s not.
It seems that he’s the first person in Canada to make a gun with a 3D printer. It’s under lock and key at his University of Toronto lab, on the seventh floor of Robarts Library.
The gun can’t shoot bullets — not yet — but only because Southwick doesn’t want it to.
He made changes to its design that disarm it, but he could easily undo them.

Full article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/03/u_of_t_labs_3d_printer_gun_raises_disturbing_questions.html

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
A side issue . .

This doesnt go into much detail, about the Laws. Does anyone have a better link ?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/daniel-zimmerman/a-look-into-our-future-from-the-great-white-north/

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Won't somebody think of the Children?!?!

DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNN

In all seriousness however, it is nice to see that they are rationally approaching this technology, aware of the possible risks and implications.  It would be a crime to humanity's potential to try and strangle this technology purely out of fear of the implications.

Personally, this just reinforces the need, at least in my eye, for comprehensive education concerning the risks and capabilities of firearms, beginning in early high school at the latest (I would start in Middle School).  We cannot, as a society, just not tell the kids what guns are and hope the problem goes away.  They will still be exposed to firearms in some fashion, either via Movies, TV, Da Vidjya Gaems, or what have you.  And none of those sources are particularly realistic (I doubt most kids will be busting out Operation Flashpoint).

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:  This

danatemporary wrote:

This doesnt go into much detail, about the Laws. Does anyone have a better link ?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/daniel-zimmerman/a-look-into-our-future-from-the-great-white-north/

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/act-loi-eng.htm

As with any laws, you'll have a lot of reading to do if you want to know everything, but this should be enough to start you off.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius wrote: DUN DUN

Sinphanius wrote:

DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNN

In all seriousness however, it is nice to see that they are rationally approaching this technology, aware of the possible risks and implications.  It would be a crime to humanity's potential to try and strangle this technology purely out of fear of the implications.

Personally, this just reinforces the need, at least in my eye, for comprehensive education concerning the risks and capabilities of firearms, beginning in early high school at the latest (I would start in Middle School).  We cannot, as a society, just not tell the kids what guns are and hope the problem goes away.  They will still be exposed to firearms in some fashion, either via Movies, TV, Da Vidjya Gaems, or what have you.  And none of those sources are particularly realistic (I doubt most kids will be busting out Operation Flashpoint).

I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law. 

Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)

This is what we need in schools: more philosophy!!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok? 3d printers are simply

Ok? 3d printers are simply new technology, printing guns or anything else for that matter is not the issue. Not sure why it is important to make the issue about guns. Law always has to adjust to changing technology. In China they have a factory that uses 3d printers to build small houses. Still would not mean it is ok to use sub standard material.

This simply sounds like another excuse to say " They will find ways around current laws so lets not do anything at all to stop gun death".

I don't care if technology figures out how to make guns with hemp, we still have too many guns and too much gun death. Law will simply adust to this technology too.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You fucking moron. This

You fucking moron. This topic was in no way attached to any other topic. The point was simply that a gun had been printed. Nothing more or less than the fact that a mechanical object had been designed and fashioned with a 3d printer. Get over yourself and stop necroposting bullshit in topics that have nothing to do with your irrational and uneducated opinions.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:  This

danatemporary wrote:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/documents/guncard.pdf

Sorry this post is a little late (less than a year though Sticking out tongue). It covers the relevant federal statutes in the US. Ironically, there is no law against the gun itself. The only problem you run into is the serial number (VI:F). Since the ATF is not a fan of Ali Baba and keeping secrets simple, the serial number is virtually impossible to get without investing in a fairly large operation and is governed by regulation, not law and decided by the ATF.  

As a rather unrelated but interesting sidenote, (in the spirit of dana), I just learned today that getting the ATF out of the county costs a mere $400,000. A bargain since I figured their structure was worth at least a million. A little jealous that I'm not the one who bought the bargain, but at least the ATF is further away, so I guess I will buy that bastard a beer the next time I run into him. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You fucking

Vastet wrote:
You fucking moron. This topic was in no way attached to any other topic. The point was simply that a gun had been printed. Nothing more or less than the fact that a mechanical object had been designed and fashioned with a 3d printer. Get over yourself and stop necroposting bullshit in topics that have nothing to do with your irrational and uneducated opinions.

Um 3-D gun printing has been around for a couple years now. Adding Canada to the list does not make it the first.

And exactly what is uneducated about saying laws adapt over time? I think laws are very relevent even though you didn't bring them up. Our cars have changed over the years and our highways and building standards also change.

If that becomes the new way guns are made it should still be subject to regulation, just like we no longer use rotary phones and have cell phones.

No you did not bring up law in this I did. So? Laws are still how humans civily cooperate and I would hope you would value that over a dictatorship or Somalian warlord society which would be just as bad.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Um 3-D gun

Brian37 wrote:
Um 3-D gun printing has been around for a couple years now. Adding Canada to the list does not make it the first.

Guess what dumb ass? This topic is a year old. And this particular gun was a whole month from being the first in the entire world. Every single thing you say in every single topic pure bullshit.

Brian37 wrote:
And exactly what is uneducated about saying laws adapt over time?

The fact that laws have nothing to do with this topic maybe? You brainless fucking shitstain.

Brian37 wrote:
If that becomes the new way guns are made it should still be subject to regulation, just like we no longer use rotary phones and have cell phones.

How about you keep your uneducated and brainless comments to threads where they are on topic asshole. You're a broken record in dozens of topics about gun control, why the fuck do you need to necropost your bullshit in topics that have nothing to do with it? You must be one of the dumbest personn on the entire planet. Theists, capitalists, NRA members, and 5 year olds are all geniuses compared to you.