Electricity and Magnetism ~ Physics, Electricity Generation.

Wladyslaw
atheist
Wladyslaw's picture
User is offlineOffline
Electricity and Magnetism ~ Physics, Electricity Generation.

I am a little bit confused about the way that one would approach building a small scale generator, I understand that I am going to need conductive wire; Cu, Ag, W, Au, etc... and a magnetic field ( I was going to use an NdFeB bar magnet, can be converted to a horseshoe though), So I approached my highschool physics teacher with a simple question about it, blah blah blah... 

Does the coiled wire go between the two fields, or do the coils go around a tube of some sort, and the magnet spun, rather than spinning the wire? 

"Your sins are not redeemed, by swearing perjury." ~ Mathias Blad

"Change how you look at all things and what you see will change" ~ Per Nilsson/Henrik Ohlsson
"As the need for knowledge flows through the catharsis of thought, ask a question and the answer will be born."

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The coils go around a

The coils go around a tube. For a small scale one something like the tube from paper towels or something will work just fine. The power is generated from the movement of the magnets next to the coils. You want the magnets spinning as close to the coil as possible without any friction. Probably the easiest method is to get some sturdy cardboard and cut it so that it makes a rectangle with two ends open, put a nail through the center and mount the magnets around the screw so that you have a rectangular box with the magnets in the center; it should be small enough that the magnets are real close to the edge, but don't actually hit it. Then coil the wire around the outside of the box and set up whatever rig you are using to spin the magnets.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here.... includes pictures

Here.... includes pictures and the materials you need.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Electric-Generator

Wladyslaw
atheist
Wladyslaw's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thank-you very much, the

Thank-you very much, the both of you. :3