Tucon Az paper gives voice to atheist on issue of Pope.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tucon Az paper gives voice to atheist on issue of Pope.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
On the issue of this

On the issue of this particular new pope, I find this article to be slightly more interesting :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/jan/04/argenitina-videla-bergoglio-repentance?CMP=twt_gu 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i don't care if a tucson

i don't care if a tucson newspaper "allowed" an atheist to weigh in on the new pope if that atheist had all of jack shit to say about it.

i think he wrote that article just so he could have a place to inflict his lame "i haz pope" graphic on the public.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't see why any

I don't see why any atheist cares who the pope is, nor why anyone would care what an atheist thinks about the new pope. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it matters a little. A

Well it matters a little. A good pope would be preferable for all than a bad one. Regardless of whether the position should have such power, it does.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I don't see why any atheist cares who the pope is, nor why anyone would care what an atheist thinks about the new pope. 

Wow, for someone who claims to be an advocate of freedom so much, you certainly are taking the absolute wrong approach.

Our founders warned of pulpit politics and not just Jefferson.

You should care, because even in our own history religious people enslaved blacks, committed genocide on Native Americans, denied women voting rights, and lynched blacks during their civil rights movement. And still to this day we have religious politicians denying the rights of gays, and constant attempts to invade the uterus's of women.

I care, because that Vatican was part of the oppression during the Dark ages. It was complacent during the holocaust. And has always been behind on science issues. It gives horrible advice to poor people on issues of reproduction. And still discriminates against gays and women. Not to mention it spreads superstition.

As long as religion exists, just like a political party , to take your eyes off of it is a sure fire way for it go gain absolute power over you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Wow, for someone who claims to be an advocate of freedom so much, you certainly are taking the absolute wrong approach.

Because I think the church can appoint any crazy kook they want as pope? 

Brian37 wrote:

Our founders warned of pulpit politics and not just Jefferson.

Is the pope running for President? 

Brian37 wrote:

You should care, because even in our own history religious people enslaved blacks, committed genocide on Native Americans, denied women voting rights, and lynched blacks during their civil rights movement. And still to this day we have religious politicians denying the rights of gays, and constant attempts to invade the uterus's of women.

And your point is..... religious politicians are going to support all sorts of stupid laws that restrict freedom regardless of who is the pope. Just like you support all sorts of stupid laws that restrict freedom regardless of who heads the UN. 

Brian37 wrote:

I care, because that Vatican was part of the oppression during the Dark ages. It was complacent during the holocaust. And has always been behind on science issues. It gives horrible advice to poor people on issues of reproduction. And still discriminates against gays and women. Not to mention it spreads superstition.

As long as religion exists, just like a political party , to take your eyes off of it is a sure fire way for it go gain absolute power over you.

I agree, religion sucks. I fail to see why as an atheist I should have any role in criticizing or approving of which kook in a group of kooks is appointed as the leader. It doesn't matter who the pope is, the problem isn't any particular pope it is the religion itself, which kook is running the church is about as important to me as who leads the KKK- the leader isn't the problem. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Well it matters

Vastet wrote:
Well it matters a little. A good pope would be preferable for all than a bad one. Regardless of whether the position should have such power, it does.

I'm pretty sure "good pope" is an oxymoron. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Vastet

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I'm pretty sure "good pope" is an oxymoron. 

lol. Point.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.