90s rock band under valued "Living Colour".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
90s rock band under valued "Living Colour".

If Hendrix and Hetfield and Vernon Reid auditioned for a band I was starting I would pick Reid. Living Colour kicked ass and unfortunately was undervalued. They are most famous for "Cult Of Personality".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
A good funk rock band...

A good funk rock band... some people say funk metal but I'm not sure that is a proper classification.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:A good

digitalbeachbum wrote:

A good funk rock band... some people say funk metal but I'm not sure that is a proper classification.

Great music is great music no matter the classification.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
goddammit, i thought for a

goddammit, i thought for a second this was a thread about that great "urban-themed" sketch comedy show from the early '90s...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:goddammit, i

iwbiek wrote:

goddammit, i thought for a second this was a thread about that great "urban-themed" sketch comedy show from the early '90s...

I'd rather the band be more famous than Jim Carry because they had a more relative message.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jim's a fucking awesome

Jim's a fucking awesome actor/comedian.
Fuck your shitty music.
Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Jim's a fucking

Vastet wrote:
Jim's a fucking awesome actor/comedian. Fuck your shitty music. :P

Vaset, remember when I said I would mention you in a forward if I managed to make it big? FUCK YOU!

I love ABBA and I love Living Colour and Metallica and the Carpenters. Deal with it asshole!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i started downloading that

i started downloading that show again and i have to say, jim carrey was a hack compared to damon wayans and tommy davidson.  i really don't understand why their careers stalled after that show.  david alan grier was brilliant too, whenever he didn't write his own material.  i saw him do stand-up once and he was cringingly corny.

i guess they tanked because the whole brightly colored, up-beat 'hood aesthetic didn't really make it out of 1993.  the rise of gangsta rap was pretty much the death-knell of shows like in living color.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i started

iwbiek wrote:

i started downloading that show again and i have to say, jim carrey was a hack compared to damon wayans and tommy davidson.  i really don't understand why their careers stalled after that show.  david alan grier was brilliant too, whenever he didn't write his own material.  i saw him do stand-up once and he was cringingly corny.

i guess they tanked because the whole brightly colored, up-beat 'hood aesthetic didn't really make it out of 1993.  the rise of gangsta rap was pretty much the death-knell of shows like in living color.

If it were not for 9/11 Grier had started a sitcom called "That's My Bush", but probably would have gone on with it if Gore had won. Grier is funny as hell.

Anyone remember Jim's character Vera De Milo? Or how about "Men on Film".

"Homie don't play that" skits were awesome too.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't stand any of the

I can't stand any of the Wayans. Simply unfunny. Jim made that show watchable.
It wasn't until much later that he really blossomed as an actor though.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I can't stand

Vastet wrote:
I can't stand any of the Wayans. Simply unfunny. Jim made that show watchable. It wasn't until much later that he really blossomed as an actor though.

you smoke too much crack.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never smoked crack. Maybe

I never smoked crack. Maybe you smoked too much and you're hallucinating me smoking it?
> >

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i don't like all the

i don't like all the wayanses either, just damon.  he showed tremendous range as a character actor on that show.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
He did always seem to me to

He did always seem to me to be the one who had potential, but I never saw him in anything that wasn't stupid and costaring a useless family member (ILC excluded of course),

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
from what i've heard, mo'

from what i've heard, mo' money was actually a good, solid film where he plays a somewhat serious role, but i've never seen it.  marlon wayans is also in it.  he did an excellent job in spike lee's bamboozled, even though i thought the film as a whole sucked and spike lee is a piece of shit.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I never smoked

Vastet wrote:
I never smoked crack. Maybe you smoked too much and you're hallucinating me smoking it? > >

Jim certainly was great on that show, but I am with others, you are on crack dude, that entire cast was funny.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're taking a double dose

You're taking a double dose of crack you're so high. Neither Marlin nor Keenan Wayans were ever funny. Jim and what's-her-name and Damon were the only people on that show who were remotely amusing. That's why one or more of them were in every single sketch.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i did like keenan's mike

i did like keenan's mike tyson impression, with him constantly saying "ecstatic" and "ludicrous."  the "three champs" sketches were awesome, with tommy davidson as sugar ray leonard and grier as a very senile muhammad ali.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
to keenan's credit, i think

to keenan's credit, i think he realized he wasn't that funny and took more of a behind-the-camera role as the series progressed.  he just gradually started appearing in fewer and fewer sketches, though his nepotism was embarrassingly shameless.  his sister kim was just awful.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You're taking a

Vastet wrote:
You're taking a double dose of crack you're so high. Neither Marlin nor Keenan Wayans were ever funny. Jim and what's-her-name and Damon were the only people on that show who were remotely amusing. That's why one or more of them were in every single sketch.

You know I can take a lot from you, but this this cuts it MR! Prepare yourself for an open can of FINGER WAG!