Why call it an "Atheist Church"?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why call it an "Atheist Church"?

I wince a bit at this tactic. I get the evolutionary aspect of our species to socialize. So for atheists to want to socialize is normal because no matter our political or religious labels we are a social species. But why would we as atheists want to attach such a superstitious word in "Church" to what really in reality is merely a social club?

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130307/britains-atheist-church-set-go-global

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 So they don't have to pay

So they don't have to pay taxes. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: So

Beyond Saving wrote:

So they don't have to pay taxes. 

You and money, is that all you masturbate over?

My objection is purely about taking an antiquated word rooted in superstition, and having atheists attempt to compete with it by mirroring it. NO, I do understand the intent, but this is how all cults are started.

Just call it a club.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I told you

Brian,

I mentioned this when i first joined this site. I studied atheism at an atheist church in Portland Oregon called "The Center of Rational Thought." I was undercover. I did this as a teenager (very young) to understand the mind of an atheist.

They gave sermons, and passed a basket for money. It was Church without Church lol.

Though etymologically speaking since Church comes from the Greek Kurios or Kirk/Kirch meaning Lord it is pretty funny for an atheist to do this. It cracks me up

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Brian,I

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Brian,

I mentioned this when i first joined this site. I studied atheism at an atheist church in Portland Oregon called "The Center of Rational Thought." I was undercover. I did this as a teenager (very young) to understand the mind of an atheist.

They gave sermons, and passed a basket for money. It was Church without Church lol.

Though etymologically speaking since Church comes from the Greek Kurios or Kirk/Kirch meaning Lord it is pretty funny for an atheist to do this. It cracks me up

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Jean, you are as important to life and evolution as a pimple on a monkey's ass. No one gives fuck what you think.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theists outside of America

Theists outside of America are generally less stupid, and therefore less likely to accuse atheism of being a religion. In such an atmosphere, the dangers of calling a atheist group a church are minimal.
And in the context, a church primarily refers to a community centre anyway.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Brian,I

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Brian,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

I don't give one fuck where you deluded your rotted brain. Why don't you go back there and stay there and stay off the internet?