Big NYC Gotham Tea Party Social Meeting On 1/28/2013 - Come Fight For Freedom!

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
Big NYC Gotham Tea Party Social Meeting On 1/28/2013 - Come Fight For Freedom!

1.jpgGotham Tea Party: Going Forward!  While the 2012 election results were disappointing, we can'tstand still. And won't. The holidays are behind us. The year isyoung -- and we have work to do.  It's a new beginning.  Our first meeting of the year has a speaker who knows aboutnew beginnings. After almost a decade working as a laborunion activist, Peter List had an epiphany about what the labormovement really means for America.  He left the union movement for good.   Now List has a greater concern: What's happening to America.  He sees challenges. "What happens next depends on us,"he says.  Join us to find out more!   

DATE:              Monday, January 28th  

TIME:               6:30 - 9:30 pm   TOPIC:            "Tea Party 2.0: What Will Help Win America's Future?"  SPEAKER:      Peter List, former Communications Workers of America                           chief shop steward (among other leadership positions),                           is a regular front page contributor to RedState.com and                            is a consultant specializing in labor union issues.                           Thanks to his deep knowledge of unions, List has                           persuaded tens of thousands of employees across the                           country to reject unionization.:    

VENUE:         Connolly's Pub and Restaurant

14 East 47th Street 

COST:             Pre-paid $10* (includes snacks); $15 at the door

Click to pre-pay: www.gothamteaparty.com/jan13-pae

Questions?  Email [email protected] 

*  We cannot refund prepaid admissions if you can't make it. 

Gotham Tea Party's mission: Help elect representatives who believe in our Founders' timeless principles of constitutional and limited government, fiscal responsibility, and free markets.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Picketting starts at

Lol. Picketting starts at 6pm. BYO coffee.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tea party? I thought that

Tea party? I thought that fad died out already?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The original Tea party is

The original Tea party is not today's tea party. I support the original one. I do not support the religious, gun, anarchy nuttery that today's nuts support. Today's tea nuts are merely crying foul because their corporate overlords and religious minions lost to a black guy. Boo fucking hoo.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Tea

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Tea party? I thought that fad died out already?

No, it's still alive and well and fighting tooth and claw, and the House of Representatives is called "Tea Party" flavored.  

Find your local Tea Party here:

http://www.teapartypatriots.org/local/

The Tea Party ideology is totally the future of the country.  Smiling

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The original

Brian37 wrote:

The original Tea party is not today's tea party. I support the original one. I do not support the religious, gun, anarchy nuttery that today's nuts support. Today's tea nuts are merely crying foul because their corporate overlords and religious minions lost to a black guy. Boo fucking hoo.

Most of the Tea Party groups, the serious ones, are about freedom, capitalism, small government, the bill of rights - there is no religious component.  Only the religious zealot Tea Party clubs are like that.  That's not what the Tea Party is about, and that is why it is named after the Boston Tea Party, which was not about religion, but taxation w/o representation, bad government too.

So.  Smiling

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
As I said on another thread,

As I said on another thread, i would remind the people here who have a bad case of foul mouth that this website is 'Rationalresponders.com'.  If you can't respond rationally, this isn't the website for you.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Darrell Cody wrote: As I

Darrell Cody wrote:

As I said on another thread, i would remind the people here who have a bad case of foul mouth that this website is 'Rationalresponders.com'.  If you can't respond rationally, this isn't the website for you.

Darrel, I appreciate your concern with decorum but we are a diverse group of very opinionated atheists and we get pretty rough with each other all the time.   Don't mistake anger for hatred.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Darrell Cody wrote:The Tea

Darrell Cody wrote:
The Tea Party ideology is totally the future of the country.

LOL.

Yeah. Sure.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Darrell Cody wrote:

Darrel, I appreciate your concern with decorum but we are a diverse group of very opinionated atheists and we get pretty rough with each other all the time.   Don't mistake anger for hatred.

I was sort of wondering how to explain it but you got it all in one post.

@Darrell, I don't hate any of these people who disagree with me. Not even the theists. Though... I actually stopped conversing with some posters here because they really were nuts; and no I won't mention their name. It is forbidden to ever mention that name again.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
From what I've seen and

From what I've seen and heard of these people, this seems to be yet another facade for christian fundamentalism. Not even a very subtle one. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Darrell Cody wrote:As I said

Darrell Cody wrote:

Supporting the tea party is far more irrational than using foul language. I think it is you who has come to the wrong site.

Either that or you're trolling Kaufman style.

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
Will any of these fine

Will any of these fine people be attending ?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Tea parties vary a lot,

Tea parties vary a lot, some are controlled by the xtian right, around where I live the evangelicals bash the tea party because it is based solely on economic issues. The tea party doesn't have any central coordination so its views happen to be whatever the views of the people who founded it are. It does seem that many, if not most, have been taken over by big government christian right wingers. Probably because those of us who really want a small government make up <5% of the population, kind of hard to have a movement that doesn't get hijacked with so few of us. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:.

Beyond Saving wrote:

. Probably because those of us who really want a small government make up <5% of the population, kind of hard to have a movement that doesn't get hijacked with so few of us. 

I would have to agree with that one.

When I say that I want the government out of certain issues, the left-wing embraces me. When I say I want the government out of other issues, the left wants to kill me.

When I say I want the government out of certain issues, the right wing embraces me. When I say I want the government out of other issues, the right wants to kill me.

I am not a tea party member nor do I really know about any of them.

But, judging by the newspapers and other sites that I have browsed through, they all want VERY different things.

I am in my own party, the one man band that plays it all he can.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

When I say that I want the government out of certain issues, the left-wing embraces me. When I say I want the government out of other issues, the left wants to kill me.

When I say I want the government out of certain issues, the right wing embraces me. When I say I want the government out of other issues, the right wants to kill me.

But, judging by the newspapers and other sites that I have browsed through, they all want VERY different things.

Lol, welcome to political purgatory. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: The tea

Beyond Saving wrote:
The tea party doesn't have any central coordination so its views happen to be whatever the views of the people who founded it are.  

?

So you could have a tea party that supports obama ? 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:Beyond

Antipatris wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
The tea party doesn't have any central coordination so its views happen to be whatever the views of the people who founded it are.  

?

So you could have a tea party that supports obama ? 

No, I think the name "tea party" is way too ostracized among the left to support any real leftist movement, but it does have a wide variety in the right leaning views from libertarian to evangelical conservatives and everything in between. There is a rather significant divide in the republican leaning people right now between the evangelicals, the party establishment and republican leaning libertarians. I would describe the tea party movement as a mishmash of the evangelicals and libertarianish republicans with some of the party establishment trying to patronize them.

Which one controls a particular tea party varies and there has been quite a bit of worry among the evangelicals about the tea parties that are controlled by people who hold left wing social views like being pro- gay marriage or pro-abortion. The only thing they supposedly have in common is that they want lower taxes and cuts in government spending, although in many tea parties that original message seems to have been lost.

I think the strongly evangelical tea parties get more media attention because they are more hyperbolic and bizarre and that is what the news media likes to cover. Libertarians are extremely bad at being interesting or "in your face"- they are either lazy, stoned or simply don't give a fuck. Same reason that Wesboro Baptist Church gets covered at every funeral they go to while hundreds of other funerals go by unnoticed. If it bleeds it leads.   

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

@Darrell, I don't hate any of these people who disagree with me. Not even the theists. Though... I actually stopped conversing with some posters here because they really were nuts; and no I won't mention their name. It is forbidden to ever mention that name again.

No digital, of course I don't hate you ...even if I troll you sometimes.   On this forum we  discuss religion and politics.  How could it not become incendiary with subject matter like that ? 

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:No, I

Beyond Saving wrote:

No, I think the name "tea party" is way too ostracized among the left to support any real leftist movement, but it does have a wide variety in the right leaning views from libertarian to evangelical conservatives and everything in between. There is a rather significant divide in the republican leaning people right now between the evangelicals, the party establishment and republican leaning libertarians. I would describe the tea party movement as a mishmash of the evangelicals and libertarianish republicans with some of the party establishment trying to patronize them.

Which one controls a particular tea party varies and there has been quite a bit of worry among the evangelicals about the tea parties that are controlled by people who hold left wing social views like being pro- gay marriage or pro-abortion. The only thing they supposedly have in common is that they want lower taxes and cuts in government spending, although in many tea parties that original message seems to have been lost.

I think the strongly evangelical tea parties get more media attention because they are more hyperbolic and bizarre and that is what the news media likes to cover. Libertarians are extremely bad at being interesting or "in your face"- they are either lazy, stoned or simply don't give a fuck. Same reason that Wesboro Baptist Church gets covered at every funeral they go to while hundreds of other funerals go by unnoticed. If it bleeds it leads.   

Still confused by the use of "left" and "leftist" when referring to obama, but okay, thanks for the info.

Anyway, wouldn't it be fair to say that libertarians, even if some of them are involved, have so little influence that they might as well not be there ? 

In other words, did someone just post a free ad for an evangelical get-together on an atheist forum ? 

Because that's what it looks like to me. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Lol, welcome to political purgatory. 

yup, i'm a resident too.  the last political hero i had was probably some nameless partisan freezing his ass off in the woods of belarus or the ukraine in 1944.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

No digital, of course I don't hate you ...even if I troll you sometimes.   On this forum we  discuss religion and politics.  How could it not become incendiary with subject matter like that ? 

I keep hoping that you are some young hottie babe who happens to be warped on the subject of guns and obama. Instead I know you are an elderly old man who is retired living out his final days collecting a pension he didn't earn, smoking cigars, drinking beer and trolls websites just for kicks.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: the last

iwbiek wrote:

the last political hero i had was probably some nameless partisan freezing his ass off in the woods of belarus or the ukraine in 1944.

I LIKE that line.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Instead I know you are an elderly old man who is retired living out his final days collecting a pension he didn't earn, smoking cigars, drinking beer and trolls websites just for kicks.

in other words, he's living my dream.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Instead I know you are an elderly old man who is retired living out his final days collecting a pension he didn't earn, smoking cigars, drinking beer and trolls websites just for kicks.

Laughing out loud

Smoking cigars, (cheap filter tipped Swishers, the ones that look like cigarettes is what I smoke) drinking beer, and trolling websites for kicks. Throw in a pension and retirement and it does sound like Paradise.

Although beer is really not my thing. It makes me feel bloated and I need to piss all of the time. Jack Daniels is better.

However, you being a native Kentuckian, have you ever heard of a place called Heaven Hill Distilleries and a bourbon called Fighting Cock ?

Christ ! The first time I drank that, it went down so smooth I thought I had found the perfect bourbon. Strong and smooth.

Unfortunately, because it was so smooth, I paid little heed to the 103 proof and drank it like tapwater.

I wound up making a completely moronic  fool out of myself and ending up in a terrible brawl after grabbing a fellow biker's girlfriend on her behind.

Woke up the next morning feeling like I had been in every front in a world war and thought that I was going to have to feel better.....just to die.

Good memories Smiling

― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Laughing out loud

Smoking cigars, (cheap filter tipped Swishers, the ones that look like cigarettes is what I smoke) drinking beer, and trolling websites for kicks. Throw in a pension and retirement and it does sound like Paradise.

Although beer is really not my thing. It makes me feel bloated and I need to piss all of the time. Jack Daniels is better.

However, you being a native Kentuckian, have you ever heard of a place called Heaven Hill Distilleries and a bourbon called Fighting Cock ?

Christ ! The first time I drank that, it went down so smooth I thought I had found the perfect bourbon. Strong and smooth.

Unfortunately, because it was so smooth, I paid little heed to the 103 proof and drank it like tapwater.

I wound up making a completely moronic  fool out of myself and ending up in a terrible brawl after grabbing a fellow biker's girlfriend on her behind.

Woke up the next morning feeling like I had been in every front in a world war and thought that I was going to have to feel better.....just to die.

Good memories Smiling

I guess if you are used to drinking Jack, Fighting Cock is smooth... I'm too much of a wimp to handle Jack and it usually comes back up shortly after consumption. 

When it comes to Heaven Hills bourbon I go for the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, fantastic and probably the best value for your dollar you can get. Sells for about $30 drinks like an $80 bottle. Their Elijah Craig 18yo is also an excellent bourbon but is twice the price and I don't think it is twice as good. Those are both 90 proofs I think, so a little bit tamer.

If I am going for the stronger alcohol, I go for Wild Turkey 101 (a good standby as it is available at most bars around the country, usually with no up charge) or Knob Creek Single Barrel (120 proof and somehow still very drinkable). Damn you Harley, I was behaving myself tonight, now I am kind of in the mood for some whisky. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: I

harleysportster wrote:

Biker "diplomacy"  ...I hear it can hurt like hell. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I guess

Beyond Saving wrote:

I guess if you are used to drinking Jack, Fighting Cock is smooth... I'm too much of a wimp to handle Jack and it usually comes back up shortly after consumption. 

When it comes to Heaven Hills bourbon I go for the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, fantastic and probably the best value for your dollar you can get. Sells for about $30 drinks like an $80 bottle. Their Elijah Craig 18yo is also an excellent bourbon but is twice the price and I don't think it is twice as good. Those are both 90 proofs I think, so a little bit tamer.

If I am going for the stronger alcohol, I go for Wild Turkey 101 (a good standby as it is available at most bars around the country, usually with no up charge) or Knob Creek Single Barrel (120 proof and somehow still very drinkable). Damn you Harley, I was behaving myself tonight, now I am kind of in the mood for some whisky. 

i love jack.  i've been to the distillery, had a private tasting, and i can say that whiskey has more craftsmanship and quality to it than just about any whiskey in the world.  they make absolutely everything on site, including their charcoal.  i usually drink a pint every christmas eve.

i have a soft spot for irish whiskey.  i love black bush.  when it comes to bourbons, the best i've ever had are knob creek and old rip van winkle.  my standard bourbon for many years was bulleitt, and they make a great rye too.  i love rye.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh, and i agree with beyond,

oh, and i agree with beyond, i think elijah craig is overrated.  it's damn near double the price of bulleitt and no better in my opinion.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I've always viewed Tea

I've always viewed Tea Baggers as extremist Republicans that are livid that they do not have complete control over the government.

It seems the most significant thing they have achieved is to devastate the public's support of the Republican party.

*shrugs*  Whatever.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i love jack. 

iwbiek wrote:

i love jack.  i've been to the distillery, had a private tasting, and i can say that whiskey has more craftsmanship and quality to it than just about any whiskey in the world.  they make absolutely everything on site, including their charcoal.  i usually drink a pint every christmas eve.

i have a soft spot for irish whiskey.  i love black bush.  when it comes to bourbons, the best i've ever had are knob creek and old rip van winkle.  my standard bourbon for many years was bulleitt, and they make a great rye too.  i love rye.

Bulleitt is good stuff, haven't had any for quite some time though. My exposure to Irish whiskey is limited, I have a friend who is a devoted Jameson drinker so I will sometimes split a bottle with him but I have not really tried any others. Need to add that to my 'to drink' list.

I went through a scotch phase awhile back but for the most part I am dedicated to good bourbon. Good bourbon is much more available around here than a good scotch and value wise I think most well known scotches are way overpriced for what they are. Although from time to time I like to say hello to my old friends Walker, Glenlivet and Macallen.  

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Bulleitt is good stuff, haven't had any for quite some time though. My exposure to Irish whiskey is limited, I have a friend who is a devoted Jameson drinker so I will sometimes split a bottle with him but I have not really tried any others. Need to add that to my 'to drink' list.

I went through a scotch phase awhile back but for the most part I am dedicated to good bourbon. Good bourbon is much more available around here than a good scotch and value wise I think most well known scotches are way overpriced for what they are. Although from time to time I like to say hello to my old friends Walker, Glenlivet and Macallen.  

scotch only got so popular because during prohibition so many shit bathtub whiskies were given irish names, therefore irish whiskey is still trying to recover from its bad reputation in america.

irish whiskey is the original whiskey (the joke is that scotsmen don't even know how to spell "whiskey" properly, because scotch is always "whisky" ), and because of my celtic heritage, i have a soft spot for it, but when it comes down to brass tacks, i have to admit that bourbon whiskey (and tennessee whiskies like jack daniels and george dickle, which are modifications of the bourbon standard) are really the world leaders in ingredients and craftsmanship.  if you offer me a $10 fifth of old crow bourbon and a $25 fifth of crown royal canadian blended whiskey, i won't even hesitate: i'll take the old crow, because i know the care and quality it took for them to be able to legally put "bourbon" on their label is miles beyond what it takes to put "blended whiskey" on a label.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fuck Canadian they make

Fuck Canadian they make shit. Just had a double woodford and as it turns out thr bar carries bulleit rye so i had her make me a manhatten. Good shit. But I really need to taste some decent Irish to form an honest opinion.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:But I

Beyond Saving wrote:

But I really need to taste some decent Irish to form an honest opinion.

try black bush then get back to me.  i raise my glass to you, sir.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:  I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Laughing out loud

I don't think that guy could hang with my crew !

It would be funny to see what would happen to him after about 9 shots.

― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Part 2 of that review...

Part 2 of that review... seems Grand Dad 114 was a better choice..

I like how this guy gets drunk and then does a good job of keeping from slurring his words.

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love what this turned

I love what this turned into.

Fuck your tea, where's the booze ?  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:I love what

Antipatris wrote:

Yeah... fuck tea... Give us the Bourbon Party!

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Antipatris wrote:

I would probably join that one.

― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Antipatris wrote:

I would probably join that one.

Me too.

Their platform would be "Give me liberty, give me a really kick as bourbon to boot!"

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Fuck

Beyond Saving wrote:

Fuck Canadian they make shit

I'd take R&R over American pisswater anyday. Sticking out tongue

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Beyond Saving

Vastet wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

Fuck Canadian they make shit

I'd take R&R over American pisswater anyday. :P

Lol, "pisswater"? Saying that with your big, flavorless 80 proof R&R? Canadian whisky is almost across the board flat and near flavorless without even giving you a decent kick. You might as well soak some rye bread in water and call it whisky. 

Now to be fair, there are a few drinkable Canadians. Crown Royal Black is a passable imitation of a good rye bourbon if you find yourself in a bar without a decent selection. Caribou Crossing is an excellent whisky that I would be happy to have a glass of any day. But for the most part, Canadian whiskys taste like Club 400 which is a great whisky to get someone who wants to say they are drinking whisky but don't want any whisky flavor.  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Canadian

Beyond Saving wrote:

Canadian whisky is almost across the board flat and near flavorless without even giving you a decent kick. You might as well soak some rye bread in water and call it whisky. 

HAHAHAHA

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Now to

Beyond Saving wrote:

Now to be fair, there are a few drinkable Canadians. Crown Royal Black is a passable imitation of a good rye bourbon if you find yourself in a bar without a decent selection. Caribou Crossing is an excellent whisky that I would be happy to have a glass of any day. But for the most part, Canadian whiskys taste like Club 400 which is a great whisky to get someone who wants to say they are drinking whisky but don't want any whisky flavor.  

never tried crown royal black, but if you pay $25 for a fifth of crown royal, you're basically paying for the purple velvet bag.

like i said, if it came down to a fifth of crown or a fifth of old crow or ancient age, i know exactly which one i would pick.  the restrictions a company has to adhere to to be able to put the word "bourbon" on their bottle, in the US at least, require more care and expense than any other whiskey distinction, except maybe "tennessee whiskey," which only two companies are allowed to use.

the distinction "blended whiskey," however, be it canadian, scotch, or irish, requires almost no regulation, so you basically have to take the company at their word as far as quality goes.  you can guess the typical results.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's plenty of flavour in

There's plenty of flavour in R&R. Tastes a lot better than any US whiskey I've ever had. Crown Royal is better, but it always comes in a bottle that looks like it should be hanging from a light fixture, and I get worried I'll smash it by tapping it against something.