Catering TO religious group in this election ( IRRITATING) !

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Catering TO religious group in this election ( IRRITATING) !

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-romney-fight-religious-groups-votes-then-romney-131539713.html

Obama and Romney fight for religious groups’ votes. Then there’s Romney’s Mormon faith

Separation of church and state may be a constitutional requirement in US government. But in Election 2012, religion has become an increasingly important factor. President Obama and Mitt Romney are focusing on particular religious groups.

Separation of church and state may be a constitutional requirement in US government. But in Election 2012 politics, religion has become an increasingly important factor.

Both President Obama and Mitt Romney are focusing on particular religious groups – Roman Catholic, Jewish, and Evangelical Christians. Mr. Romney’s religion – Mormonism – is being covered by the media like never before in US political history. (At least since the sect moved to Utah in the 19th century in order to practice its own beliefs – including, at that time, polygamy.)

Off to the side, meanwhile, is an apparent spat between the two most prominent Mormon politicians – Romney and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – which seems to bear on their religion’s theology.

( Rest of the article found at the link. I know that this is nothing new to politics in the USA theocracy that it seems that we live in. It never fails to piss me off when headlines like this one make their way to my computer browses of the news. How much longer are these religious nuts going to keep exerting this type of bullshit into American politics ? My guess is quite some time. This article starts out with some questions about the Mormons, but it is not an exclusive article that calls Mormonism into question, it touches upon where "faith" places a major part in this particular election).

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voting for a politician is

Voting for a politician is largely an act of faith. Most people's political views are generated by dogmatic indoctrination and gut feelings rather than scientific fact and sceptical reasoning. So why should any of this be surprising? Most everyone 'picks' their politics like how they 'pick' their religion. So the good politicians have figured this out, that religion is useful for controlling the great unwashed masses.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the real reason

I think the real reason Romney hasn't released his income tax forms is that it would show how much he has saved in taxes by giving to his church. The government is essentially subsidizing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I think the real

EXC wrote:

I think the real reason Romney hasn't released his income tax forms is that it would show how much he has saved in taxes by giving to his church. The government is essentially subsidizing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Pretty much so. I would agree.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno