Australian government takes up Great White killing

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Australian government takes up Great White killing

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_AUSTRALIA_KILLING_SHARKS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-28-02-19-58

Quote:

AUSTRALIA TO KILL SHARKS IN BID TO PROTECT PEOPLE

BY KRISTEN GELINEAU 

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SYDNEY (AP) -- Australian officials, under pressure to protect beachgoers after a string of deadly shark attacks, have approved a plan to kill sharks that venture too close to people in the water.

The plan, which was announced by Western Australia state Premier Colin Barnett on Thursday, has infuriated conservationists and marks a sharp reversal of the current policy that permits the killing of sharks only after they have attacked.

The government is spending some $7 million on this program... why? There are plenty of sport fishers around the world who would pay thousands of dollars to fish and kill a Great White. Why not just sell tags to them turning a program that costs money into a moneymaker? 

Although imo, worrying about the safety of swimmers is a stupid reason to harvest sharks. It should only be done as a means of population control, which from my understanding Great White populations are healthy enough around Australia to sustain limited harvesting. If you swim in waters with Great Whites you can't be particularly surprised when one decides to take a bite out of you. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I bet

I bet the fisheries and the hunting programs are going to have a field day with this one.

I just wonder how people are going to swim with any ease near shark infested waters, while guys in boats are prowling around killing sharks that get to close.

If the sharks don't get someone, a stray bullet or something might. Unless they are using harpoons or something.

I noticed that the article stated lifeguards were going to be equipped with GPS trackers, are people going to have to wear GPS trackers when they swim now ?

One time, I heard on television that salt water crocodiles were more dangerous in the reef areas of Australia than shark attack probabilities. Perhaps, the salt water crocodiles have been hunted down ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The plan...has

Quote:
The plan...has infuriated conservationists

Yeah, it would be so sad if those ruthless killing/maiming machines were to disappear. I think next we should see if we can bring the black plague back, you know, in the name of conservation.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Quote:The

Manageri wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, it would be so sad if those ruthless killing/maiming machines were to disappear. I think next we should see if we can bring the black plague back, you know, in the name of conservation.

1. I see guys agitating sharks to attack so they have an excuse to kill them.

2, You want to get rid of "ruthless killing/maiming machines"? There are a few billion humans running around...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Manageri

jcgadfly wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Quote:

1. I see guys agitating sharks to attack so they have an excuse to kill them.

2, You want to get rid of "ruthless killing/maiming machines"? There are a few billion humans running around...

I think Manageri would be inclined to agree with seeing a reduction in a few billion humans. Especially the ones that could be classified as ruthless killing machines.

Judging by the threads on Anti-Natalism and the Asymmetry argument of : existence = more suffering than plasure.

IOW procreating life is probably the most immoral thing that someone can do in the eyes of Anti-Natalism.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I bet

harleysportster wrote:

I bet the fisheries and the hunting programs are going to have a field day with this one.

I just wonder how people are going to swim with any ease near shark infested waters, while guys in boats are prowling around killing sharks that get to close.

If the sharks don't get someone, a stray bullet or something might. Unless they are using harpoons or something.

I noticed that the article stated lifeguards were going to be equipped with GPS trackers, are people going to have to wear GPS trackers when they swim now ?

One time, I heard on television that salt water crocodiles were more dangerous in the reef areas of Australia than shark attack probabilities. Perhaps, the salt water crocodiles have been hunted down ?

The usual way to kill a big fish is to hook them, haul them to the side of the boat using a gig and hit them on the head with a bat. It is actually rather easy and fast to kill even very large fish using this method. Harpoons or bows would be a method that might be used if sportsmen were doing it, but I doubt the government will. Most likely they will use nets or baited hooks to catch them. Usually water and guns don't mix well, guns are very ineffective at killing through water, most bullets break apart on contact with water, the risk of ricochet is high and it isn't any fun having extra holes in your boat. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

The usual way to kill a big fish is to hook them, haul them to the side of the boat using a gig and hit them on the head with a bat. It is actually rather easy and fast to kill even very large fish using this method. Harpoons or bows would be a method that might be used if sportsmen were doing it, but I doubt the government will. Most likely they will use nets or baited hooks to catch them. Usually water and guns don't mix well, guns are very ineffective at killing through water, most bullets break apart on contact with water, the risk of ricochet is high and it isn't any fun having extra holes in your boat. 

That shows how much I know. I guess I have seen too many movies like Jaws and such. So much for movies having any value other than for entertainment pruposes only.

Although, if there were some way to put an original spin on this, it would make a good film. Well, maybe if it were still the 1980's and every type of plot hadn't already been put through the ringer due to lack of creativity on the part of Hollywood filmmakers.

― Giordano Bruno