Gene therapy on adult mice extends lifetime by up to 24% in one treatment

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
Gene therapy on adult mice extends lifetime by up to 24% in one treatment

ScienceDaily wrote:
A number of studies have shown that it is possible to lengthen the average life of individuals of many species, including mammals, by acting on specific genes. To date, however, this has meant altering the animals' genes permanently from the embryonic stage -- an approach impracticable in humans. Researchers at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO), led by its director María Blasco, have demonstrated that the mouse lifespan can be extended by the application in adult life of a single treatment acting directly on the animal's genes. And they have done so using gene therapy, a strategy never before employed to combat aging. The therapy has been found to be safe and effective in mice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120514204050.htm

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

Dying from old age is a disease.  Good article, Vastet!  Studies like these are the reason I got into biology in college.  (I planned on a career in biotechnology, but couldn't accomplish it.) 

Imagine what biotech will be like in a million years.  At this rate, humans will be immortal.  The only obstacles will be other humans (possibly aliens) and the weather (including near-planetary objects like asteroids); not to mention food, the economy, and energy.  Right now the main obstacle appears to be cancer, along with scores of life-dampening diseases, including mental illness.  I hope we can see some big progress within our lifetime, but I doubt it  Sad

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
I've seen a lot of

I've seen a lot of breakthroughs on the cancer front recently. There's probably been more in the last 5 years than the 50 before it. I think it'll be pretty well taken care of before I die from old age. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.