Comedian Bret Ernst demonizes atheists in his act.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comedian Bret Ernst demonizes atheists in his act.

Most of his act was funny and endearing, but still, atheists seem to be the last minority in the west it is ok to bash. Now there is a huge difference between what South Park did with atheists, and what this guy says in his act. The creators of South Park were speakers one year at the atheist convention in Vegas called TAM(The Amazing Meeting). They make their stereotypes so over the top that no one can our should take them seriously. The entire motif of South Park is "laugh at yourself"

But what Bret said in his act wasn't an inside joke between friends, but a bigoted statement about ALL atheists.

Send him a message.

http://www.facebook.com/BretErnst#!/BretErnst?sk=wall

http://www.breternstlive.com/

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Meh, I didn't really find

Meh, I didn't really find it that offensive. My only problem with it is that it failed to be funny, but after watching a few other clips of him I didn't find his other material funny either.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I won't bother watching it,

I won't bother watching it, because it doesn't bother me. I'd have to tear into Gervais for making theists look like imbeciles. The fact is that he has an audience who likes what he has to say, which is why he says it and is successful.

My problem with this kind of thing starts when entertainment is repackaged as news and sold on faux as if it were fact. This guy is at least doing it right, even if he's wrong in his beliefs.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I won't bother

Vastet wrote:
I won't bother watching it, because it doesn't bother me. I'd have to tear into Gervais for making theists look like imbeciles. The fact is that he has an audience who likes what he has to say, which is why he says it and is successful. My problem with this kind of thing starts when entertainment is repackaged as news and sold on faux as if it were fact. This guy is at least doing it right, even if he's wrong in his beliefs.

Don't get me wrong, I will never be for laws censoring even the most bigoted assholes. But I am merely advocating that the same free market be used to use our own voices. Nothing more.

I get really down on the left when they use language like 'hate crime", We have no "jealously crime" laws. Dead is dead if you are shot in a robbery or murdered for being Muslim or gay. Again, all of us no matter on the left or the right have the same two basic law concepts that all laws stem from. Don't physically harm others, and don't call for the physical harm of others. But no one has a right to be free from being offended, which is why I am not suggesting any legal action against him. But I damned sure am going to call people like this out. If he keeps doing it, I wont stop him in a government force sense. But I will use my voice to foster an environment that it would not be advantageous for him to do so.

I simply posted on his facebook page the question "How many atheists do you personally know?". Rest assured it would not surprise me if he came back with "Some of my best friends are". That's where I want him, in that uncomfortable zone where he is forced to look in the mirror. That verbal battle doesn't require legal action. If he doesn't change, that is ok too, because the people who read my posts vs his posts can decide what side of history they want to be on.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I won't bother

Vastet wrote:
I won't bother watching it, because it doesn't bother me. I'd have to tear into Gervais for making theists look like imbeciles. The fact is that he has an audience who likes what he has to say, which is why he says it and is successful. My problem with this kind of thing starts when entertainment is repackaged as news and sold on faux as if it were fact. This guy is at least doing it right, even if he's wrong in his beliefs.

Gervaris is not a bigot anymore than blacks were in not taking shit from whites during the 60s. I have fangs here too, but you don't think I am a bigot.

The claims of theists need to be blasphemed and ridiculed. It is why we no longer believe the earth to be flat. Claims don't deserve to be free from being offended. Humans DO deserve the dignity of being free of fear of their government or even their neighbor, but the claims they make, as claims, don't blindly deserve taboo status just because it might offend them.

This comedian can offend me all he wants from a legal standpoint, as long as he is not physically harming me, or calling for my physical harm, which he is not. BUT, I also have the right to challenge his claims, even if it is in a comedy act.

Bottom line, he gets to say what he wants, but so do I. Let the viewer/reader decide. It is just as fair in a free market of competing ideas if I convince him to stop. The free market is not simply protecting social norms, or popular belief. The only way he can protect his own rights is to protect my right to challenge him.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Opie

Hi Opie,

So wait, atheists are now minorities? What? The Minority thing was designated towards race not thought. lol. You Want government rights as a race of atheists?

Pretty creepy Brian.

Atheists and homo's are not a race of people. They do what they do.

Oh wait, i suppose for an atheist you could raise the argument that you were born that way, and you would be absolutely right.

God causes atheists from eternity. So yeah, you were born that way, as a spiritual bastard.

But the minority thing, is creepy and a little weird. But at least brian you're getting more consistent by the day.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If anyone's interested,

If anyone's interested, here's the actual link.

http://comedians.jokes.com/bret-ernst/videos/stand-up--bret-ernst---kept-his-word

Btw, I'm not enthusiastic about him as well. That last bit about America isn't fun either, last time I checked Americans wanted to put their treetop-frying radar dishes into my country without asking the citizens and a whole missile silo right next to it in Poland. I wonder when the gaming industry starts churning out games with American army as the invaders to be driven away and oil vampires.

And btw, he slanders techno! Not that I listen to techno, but many techies are kindred eardrums to my music. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi Opie,

So wait, atheists are now minorities? What? The Minority thing was designated towards race not thought. lol. You Want government rights as a race of atheists?

Pretty creepy Brian.

Atheists and homo's are not a race of people. They do what they do.

Oh wait, i suppose for an atheist you could raise the argument that you were born that way, and you would be absolutely right.

God causes atheists from eternity. So yeah, you were born that way, as a spiritual bastard.

But the minority thing, is creepy and a little weird. But at least brian you're getting more consistent by the day.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

If clues were  water in a pool and you were on the high dive you'd miss the pool. But you wouldn't even wait for the pool to be filled. Fantasy would fill it and you will still dive without the water in it.

There is no such thing as a spirit. But I don't mind being a "bastard" to an asshole like you.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Gervaris is not a bigot

"Gervaris is not a bigot anymore than blacks were in not taking shit from whites during the 60s. "

Bullshit. He's bigoted to theists the way the comedian in your op is bigoted to atheists. You're being a hypocrite. Being a bigot isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if the common useage of the term is decidedly negative. If you have valid reason for your bigotry, then it's justified. But it's still bigotry.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.