Try to make this a habit atheists.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try to make this a habit atheists.

Of course people have jobs and lives and some have children, but I do think it is extremely important for us to engage the media where ever we can.

EVERY DAY, I take time to google "atheist" under the news section. Every time I see a story related to atheists if the info request is not too intrusive I post comments.

NOW I really do get down on the naysayers who think it does not amount to anything. When you look at where women and blacks and gays have come from and where they are now, it is only a matter of time that we too will become part of the main stream, and increasingly we are.

I remember where atheists were back in 01. Back then the word atheist was not said that much by major media, and there were not that many atheist websites. But now, we have the explosion of social media to work with and we have best selling authors, we  even have celebrities like Bill Maher and the actor who plays Harry Potter. Reggie (InfidelGuy) was on Wife Swap.  Brian Sapient from Rational Responders, was on Nightline.

Neil Degrasse Tyson put out "The Pluto Files" on PBS and had a cameo on the sitcom "Big Bang Theory:"

Seeing the bigger picture long term I know we as individuals can have an impact, no matter how small each individual does. Post at newspaper websites, tv websites, e-mail your elected officials. IT DOES COUNT AND IT DOES HELP.

Our world is our only home, now while true we cant make 7 billion people atheists, we do need to take on the fear mongers who falsely demonize us. But we are the best champions for education and science, and the believer cannot avoid that unless they want to look stupid.

SO take the time once a week or even once a day to look up stories and comment on them, and post links at every social atheist site so that our voice can grow.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for correcting my

Thanks for correcting my spelling. I do try to catch it, but I don't always do.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're right, every little

You're right, every little bit helps. Even when ur speaking to a crowd of theist morons it still means something at the smallest  level.

Although facebook is a waste of time and thought, I still enjoy throwing my little tidbits in. Mainly because the majority of the

senseless blathering on there is from a bunch of christians and their sentimental little quotes and prayers to each other.  However, a

few of my friends and myself make sure to post our atheist point of view a few times a day, specifically right after a christian post.  We also "share" a lot

of good material from "Did I piss you off's" page. If you haven't heard of it check it out.  I know it doesn't fall under "engaging the media" as the point

you were  making, but it is a social forum nonetheless.  And when we see an atheist post we make sure to back it up. As to your point "yes" I will try to

make it a habit.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia