Space Nazi's Wager

numeral
User is offlineOffline
Space Nazi's Wager

Let's say that there were dangerous Space Nazis that forced you to bet on whether or not there is a god.  If you didn't bet then you would be punished harshly, but if you did bet, then you would be guaranteed not to be punished by anyone.  After you bet, you would immediately find out if there was a god or not.   If you lost the bet then you would have to cover the bet in a month or be punished harshly.  The Space Nazis define a god as a sentient being that created this universe and any other universe that ever existed.  Let us assume that the Space Nazis know whether or not there is a god, are honest, and can cover almost any bet. What would be your bet and how much?

numeral
User is offlineOffline
 I would bet 10% of a month

I would bet 10% of a month of my income that there isn't a god but I wouldn't be very concerned about the outcome of the bet.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a trick. If such

This is a trick. If such Space Nazis existed(all knowing, all powerful) wouldn't they in fact need to be god to know if there is a god? So they would trick atheists into betting 'no god' and they say "you lose, we're god". Just like fucking Nazis.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
^ lol.

^ lol.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
numeral wrote:Let's say that

numeral wrote:

Let's say that there were dangerous Space Nazis that forced you to bet on whether or not there is a god.  If you didn't bet then you would be punished harshly, but if you did bet, then you would be guaranteed not to be punished by anyone.  After you bet, you would immediately find out if there was a god or not.   If you lost the bet then you would have to cover the bet in a month or be punished harshly.  The Space Nazis define a god as a sentient being that created this universe and any other universe that ever existed.  Let us assume that the Space Nazis know whether or not there is a god, are honest, and can cover almost any bet. What would be your bet and how much?

They couldn't be moral even if they were honest, forced submission is not moral. I'd tell the fuckwads to take their bet and shove it up their ass.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'd bet them 599 US

I'd bet them 599 US dollars there isn't one.

Matt
User is offlineOffline
It would highly depend on

It would highly depend on how you define God.  If God can be any sentient being who created  the universe, then I would have to question what defines this being as sentient.  If God is a first cause or prime motivator, then prehaps that exists (although not neccessarily intelligent).  If self aware, and thereby having intelligence, what would be the lowest possible standard?  It would have to be the ability to think (Descartes).  If it is thinking, then it exists as a sentient being.  Therefore, to an extent, it has free will.  Whether or not that can extend to the ability to create is another matter altogether, just as humans have a sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system in conjuction with their cognitive ability.  Perhaps it is sentient, but the construction of the universe(s) is purely a condition of its existence.  I think the only implication for a God is the appearance of design, or the top-down argument.  I would wager that there is an evident lack of design and intention such that a sentient God clearly had no influence in our existence.  My wager would be my existence, because either way as an atheist death is not an issue, and there is not a clear and decisive reason to suggest design is self-evident within reality.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is harshly punished? I

What is harshly punished? I mean if it is taking away all my earthly possesions I woulds say I would bet what ever there max they can cover. I own basically nothing anyway. It would be easy to get it all back.

If harshly punished is removing my legs, arms, genitals, tounge and eyes, eye lids and ears. But leaving me alive, I would bet well within what I can cover.

With just punished harshly as all I have to go on, I would probably ask for the max bet. Chances are I can live with being harshly punished and the chances of winning are pretty good. A 50/50 chance of guessing right is one dam good deal for possibly becoming fabulously wealthy or being "harshly punishes". Probably a good thing I don't gamble. I am fair certain I would go to far. But if forced on a 50/50 chance I am going to take my chances to win it all. Especially if being harshly punished is worse then death I can just kill myself in the one month period.

Just for the record if I could cover the max bet for whatever reason it was that low I would have no intention of paying up short of permanant damage to my body or space jail.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
numeral wrote:Let's say that

numeral wrote:

Hehe, I would cover my bases with one dollar.

No punishment irregardless.

Not that I am afraid of taking chances, I just don't trust Nazis to not use some clever form of semantic trickery to fuck me up.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:This is a trick.

EXC wrote:

This is a trick. If such Space Nazis existed(all knowing, all powerful) wouldn't they in fact need to be god to know if there is a god? So they would trick atheists into betting 'no god' and they say "you lose, we're god". Just like fucking Nazis.

Laughing out loud

Exactly.  I would trust space nazis about as much as I would trust the Westboro Baptist Church.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

numeral
User is offlineOffline
Re: EXC's comment

The Space Nazis wouldn't be all powerful; they would just be powerful enough to punish almost anyone.  They wouldn't be all knowing; they would just know one thing that was really significant.

Your conclusion is pretty funny though.

numeral
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I'd bet

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'd bet them 599 US dollars there isn't one.

Thanks for answering point blank.  That's what I was looking for.

numeral
User is offlineOffline
Matt wrote:It would highly

Matt wrote:

It would highly depend on how you define God.  If God can be any sentient being who created  the universe, then I would have to question what defines this being as sentient.  If God is a first cause or prime motivator, then prehaps that exists (although not neccessarily intelligent).  If self aware, and thereby having intelligence, what would be the lowest possible standard?  It would have to be the ability to think (Descartes).  If it is thinking, then it exists as a sentient being.  Therefore, to an extent, it has free will.

Let's say that the god would have to be as self aware, intelligent, have as much free will, as much ability to think as the average human (at least) if you assume that the average human is self aware, intelligent, has "free will", and can think.

Matt wrote:

Whether or not that can extend to the ability to create is another matter altogether, just as humans have a sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system in conjuction with their cognitive ability.  Perhaps it is sentient, but the construction of the universe(s) is purely a condition of its existence.  I think the only implication for a God is the appearance of design, or the top-down argument.  I would wager that there is an evident lack of design and intention such that a sentient God clearly had no influence in our existence.  My wager would be my existence, because either way as an atheist death is not an issue, and there is not a clear and decisive reason to suggest design is self-evident within reality.

That's a hefty wager!

numeral
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:What is harshly

Tapey wrote:

What is harshly punished? I mean if it is taking away all my earthly possesions I woulds say I would bet what ever there max they can cover. I own basically nothing anyway. It would be easy to get it all back.

If harshly punished is removing my legs, arms, genitals, tounge and eyes, eye lids and ears. But leaving me alive, I would bet well within what I can cover.

With just punished harshly as all I have to go on, I would probably ask for the max bet. Chances are I can live with being harshly punished and the chances of winning are pretty good. A 50/50 chance of guessing right is one dam good deal for possibly becoming fabulously wealthy or being "harshly punishes". Probably a good thing I don't gamble. I am fair certain I would go to far. But if forced on a 50/50 chance I am going to take my chances to win it all. Especially if being harshly punished is worse then death I can just kill myself in the one month period.

Just for the record if I could cover the max bet for whatever reason it was that low I would have no intention of paying up short of permanant damage to my body or space jail.

I was thinking of harsh punishment such as caning that left permanent scars but no permanent health problems.

My thought was that it was close to 50/50 too because there isn't any real evidence for or against but I lean against.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
25 cents - one US quarter

25 cents - one US quarter that there is no god/s/dess.  And if I lost, I'd pay it off in pennies.

Though it ain't no bet if the other side doesn't have a stake in the outcome.  What is their cover?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
numeral wrote:Tapey

numeral wrote:

Tapey wrote:

I was thinking of harsh punishment such as caning that left permanent scars but no permanent health problems.

My thought was that it was close to 50/50 too because there isn't any real evidence for or against but I lean against.

The I go for whatever there max is. A few more scars is nothing.

All animals are equal.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
numeral wrote: I was

numeral wrote:

Just a few scars ? I have already got those Laughing out loud

If that is the case, I would bet 90 Billion dollars there is no god.

― Giordano Bruno

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

numeral wrote:

Just a few scars ? I have already got those Laughing out loud

If that is the case, I would bet 90 Billion dollars there is no god.

I bet 90 Billion there is a god, one of us walks away with scars, we split the money at the end no matter who wins and we both walk away never having to work a day in our lives. 100% chance of victory. Small price to pay for betting against what I believe.

All animals are equal.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: I bet 90

Tapey wrote:

I bet 90 Billion there is a god, one of us walks away with scars, we split the money at the end no matter who wins and we both walk away never having to work a day in our lives. 100% chance of victory. Small price to pay for betting against what I believe.

HEY ! I like that idea !

We get rich AND get to rip off some space nazis  Evil

― Giordano Bruno

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I allowed to place

Am I allowed to place multiple bets?

90 Billion on gods, 90 Billion against.  Either way I walk out with 89.999999 Billion and some high-quality painkillers.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

numeral
User is offlineOffline
 You will have to put up

You will have to put up your money up front. No more gaming the Space Nazis.

Multiple bets are fine.