Indian Bishops Urge Larger Families

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-12-17
User is offlineOffline
Indian Bishops Urge Larger Families

 Widely reported article from a week or so ago.

*headdeskheaddeskheaddesk*

The stupidity benumbs me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/11/501364/main20118563.shtml

 

 

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Right, keep them dumb and

Right, keep them dumb and tell them they need to be baby factories and maybe eventually you'll be able to compete with the majority of Hindus. Why would you give a fuck about all the poverty and unwanted pregnancies that would cause. Its all about marketing and competition , not based on practicality, evidence or rational thought. It is competition solely to become the alpha male.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Scout
Theist
Posts: 14
Joined: 2011-10-17
User is offlineOffline
This could not be more

This could not be more irresponsible. Aside from the fact that India has a population problem already, a bishop making a statement like this is going to fuel fears amongst other Indians that the Catholics have a deliberate strategy of trying to outbreed other groups in order to acquire increased political power. If you read the article, though...it suggests that Catholics are actually having smaller families than their neighbours. So presumably the bishop's flock are not totally deterred from family planning.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
What is so sick is that most

What is so sick is that most humans replace evolution with labels.

"Make more babies" on the comic book superficial label fantasy level, is sick.

Make more babies on an evolutionary scale, with all species makes sence. The more offspring you make the more chance for the species to survive.

Our species problem is regardless of label, although the label distraction is the problem. Our REAL problem is that we see ourselves outside of nature instead of part of nature.

Labels don't matter in this context once you understand evolution and conservation. Our planet is finite. It would not matter if every one of the 7 billion people were all atheists or all Muslims or all Christians. If you think of our planet as a toilet, it is fine as long as it can be flushed and recycle the water. But if all you do is shit in it and not flush it it will clog up.

These Christians problem is that they are focused on themselves and not the bigger picture, like most humans. It was practical long ago to make as many babies as you can. But the room called earth is finite and even if all humans were Christian you would still see a point in the future where the room would be crowded and the management of humans and resources harder.

All this attitude will do is divide humanity more and distract humans from the inevitable problems overpopulation causes in all species.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
Posts: 693
Joined: 2010-01-03
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: Widely

snafu wrote:

 Widely reported article from a week or so ago.

*headdeskheaddeskheaddesk*

The stupidity benumbs me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/11/501364/main20118563.shtml

 

 

A better idea would be to throw the hateful ChristNUTS out!  Or we can do as the bible does and execute them!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Right, keep

Brian37 wrote:

Right, keep them dumb and tell them they need to be baby factories and maybe eventually you'll be able to compete with the majority of Hindus. Why would you give a fuck about all the poverty and unwanted pregnancies that would cause. Its all about marketing and competition , not based on practicality, evidence or rational thought. It is competition solely to become the alpha male.

Why not? I say we set up the baby factories, harvest their organs, and then make a load of $$$ off of dead baby organ theft. It would just be SUPER! [/sarcasm]

I, meanwhile, will be writing a book titled "Societal Problems: Everyone Has Them, and They Usually Stink" along the lines of "opinions are like assholes". There is absolutely nothing that I could put in this hypothetical book that no one at RRS would already be abundantly aware of as fact or possibility. It's contents would basically catch no one by surprise.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Scout wrote:This could not

Scout wrote:

This could not be more irresponsible. Aside from the fact that India has a population problem already, a bishop making a statement like this is going to fuel fears amongst other Indians that the Catholics have a deliberate strategy of trying to outbreed other groups in order to acquire increased political power. If you read the article, though...it suggests that Catholics are actually having smaller families than their neighbours. So presumably the bishop's flock are not totally deterred from family planning.

There are already seven billion people upon this planet. The religious wackjobs reallly need to think about what this means to the futures of those very children they want everyone to bring into the world.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno