Freaky Fast, irresponsible advertising.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Freaky Fast, irresponsible advertising.

No so much news as it is a WHAT THE FUCK, hasn't the federal government already weighed in on this?

"Freaky fast" is the motto in the commercials for Jimmy John's sub sandwich delivery.

Having worked for a major pizza franchise. This is a dangerous climate for a minimum wage worker to work in. The companies DONT pay for the car insurance. They don't pay for accidents. And they DONT give a shit about road conditions and between the customers and owners, it puts unsafe pressure on the driver,

There was a case, in the late 80s or early 90s where because of the speed of a driver, because of the climate of "get it there as fast as you can' someone died. As a result a federal law forbid this kind of advertising. How the fuck did it get pealed back?

This is further proof that big business does not give a shit about the safety of the employees, whom they don't pay shit in the first place, and don't care about the climate of pressure they put on the employees that can and does get them hurt or the public hurt with this unsafe attitude.

Is it going to take an employee killing themselves trying to get a 5 dollar sub for a lousy tip? Is it going to take them killing a pedestrian or another driver because of the climate of the corporate goons>

As customers WE should care about the safety of those who deliver us ANYTHING. As a company I think it is heartless and neglectful to put the buck above safety as part of your marketing scheme. It sets up an unsafe working environment.

Jimmy Johns does NOT give a shit about the safety of the public or the safety of it's employees, otherwise it would not use "freaky fast" as a marketing ploy. I know this because these types of delivery companies, hide behind the 'I didn't tell them to do that", when they damned well know that they use fear of loss of job to intimidate them into taking those risks. It may say on their company paper "safety first", but that is just a liablity issue on paper, a loophole.

Nader took on an entire industry because cars were not safe. Bad policies that use loopholes which in reality put society at risk, should be taken on just like Nader did with cars.

Do we want planes to take off without being inspected first just because we want to get there fast? SHAME ON YOU JIMMY JOHNS. If you gave a fuck about safety, you wouldn't advertise like that.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4280
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
I love Jimmy John's, great

I love Jimmy John's, great sandwiches and they make them real fast. Their deliveries are fast and the drivers have always been very polite. They are also a company that is expanding and creating new jobs. They don't guarantee fast delivery, nor do they punish their drivers for a slow delivery. The drivers do get paid a cut of the order plus get more and bigger tips when they deliver quickly, so there is incentive to be fast. But I doubt the owners of Jimmy John's are the uncaring monsters you make them out to be. I know one guy who owns two stores and he is a great guy who genuinely cares and I'm sure he would be quite upset if one of his employees was hurt on the job.

 

But in the real world, if you have a job that requires you to drive a lot, car accidents are a risk. Shit happens, and no amount of legislation is going to guarantee that it doesn't. People are going to get in car accidents driving to work, from work and while working. Sometimes they might die. I don't know a single employer who wouldn't prefer that their employees drive safely and arrive safely. 

 

Jimmy John's pushes the "freaky fast" message because their customer target is people who order deliveries but don't have time to wait for a pizza. They cater for a lot of businesses and such. The reason they are faster at delivering comes from the speed with which they can make sandwiches. In most cases, you can receive your Jimmy John's delivery before a pizza could even be cooked. The message is appropriate to their market and their commercials are funny. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1l4-q47Nc

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I love

Beyond Saving wrote:

I love Jimmy John's, great sandwiches and they make them real fast. Their deliveries are fast and the drivers have always been very polite. They are also a company that is expanding and creating new jobs. They don't guarantee fast delivery, nor do they punish their drivers for a slow delivery. The drivers do get paid a cut of the order plus get more and bigger tips when they deliver quickly, so there is incentive to be fast. But I doubt the owners of Jimmy John's are the uncaring monsters you make them out to be. I know one guy who owns two stores and he is a great guy who genuinely cares and I'm sure he would be quite upset if one of his employees was hurt on the job.

 

But in the real world, if you have a job that requires you to drive a lot, car accidents are a risk. Shit happens, and no amount of legislation is going to guarantee that it doesn't. People are going to get in car accidents driving to work, from work and while working. Sometimes they might die. I don't know a single employer who wouldn't prefer that their employees drive safely and arrive safely. 

 

Jimmy John's pushes the "freaky fast" message because their customer target is people who order deliveries but don't have time to wait for a pizza. They cater for a lot of businesses and such. The reason they are faster at delivering comes from the speed with which they can make sandwiches. In most cases, you can receive your Jimmy John's delivery before a pizza could even be cooked. The message is appropriate to their market and their commercials are funny. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1l4-q47Nc

I used to WORK for dickhead companies like this doing delivery. All that service you love comes at the expense of the worker AND THEIR VEHICLE AND INSURANCE COST. And the "jobs" you say they create are mostly crappy minimum wage jobs. And companies like that have high turnover rates.  It is legalized exploitation.

They don't guarantee  then why the fuck do they advertise it? The implication is there in a direct word "fast". That sets the customer to get pissed at the employee instead of being pissed at the company. It throws the employee under the bus when it doesn't get there on time. And having worked in those conditions it IS NOT always the employees fault. But that is the excuse the corporate dickheads use. They dump all the risk on the driver, and reap all the profits and believe me, delivery drivers DONT GET PAID SHIT FOR WHAT THEY RISK.

AND these delivery zone policies are not built upon changing conditions, such as amount of employees, or weather conditions. They take ideal conditions and force the assumption that conditions never change on the training of the store managers. It is an unscrupulous marketing ploy. Legal and moral are two different things.

Quote:
Shit happens, and no amount of legislation is going to guarantee that it doesn't

FUCK SEAT BELTS because "shit happens". Just the attitude I would expect from a selfish person  like you.

NO RULES, LET THEM EAT CAKE, IF SOMEONE DIES, FUCK THEM, THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO WORK THERE.

Sick. Your attitude is why we need more people like Nader. If you don't care if a driver dies, then go all the way and put rat poison in the sub, after all, shit happens. You could say, "we didn't tell you to eat the rat poison".

Bad policies are just as destructive as health code violations. The only thing you are proving to me here is money equals power and might makes right.

Just admit you love money. But don't fucking dare tell me how that works I have been there. I have seen the hell holes places like that create. I have seen the damage it does to people mentally and to their own property which the company doesn't give one fuck about.

THESE TYPES OF COMPANIES TREAT HUMANS AS TOOLS, NOT HUMANS. And the only thing they give a shit about is making money.

Legal and moral are two separate issues. Something lost on people like you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I don't care if it takes 2

I don't care if it takes 2 seconds to make a sub, it still has to be delivered. I have worked on ice covered roads when even the news is telling people to stay home with a backlog of lines on hold, AND SHORT STAFFED BECAUSE OTHER EMPLOYEES COULDNT MAKE IT IN, with every customer bitching at you

And the customers are to blame too. If you put a Jimmy Johns next to a Hawaiian voclacano idiots like you would call in and ask "Could you get a sub here before the lava flow hits my house?

Dont fucking pretend that those assholes give one shit about safety. They only care about making a buck.

I am quite sure Jimmy Johns will face a lawsuit from someone being killed or injured because of fucking attitudes like yours and you don't give a shit. Thanks for proving my point for me that corporate America is all about greed.

FUCK SAFETY, who cares if someone dies. That is what has happened with companies like this, and it will happen to Jimmy Johns too. And when it does, I hope the fuck they get sued to the point of going out of business.

You are sick. A fucking 5 dollor sub is more important than the person making the delivery. SICK SICK SICK.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I once, on a very busy day,

I once, on a very busy day, had a three stop delivery. On the second stop, I thought someone's house was on fire because their alarm was going off. I knocked on the neighbor's door and they called 911. I WAITED for the fire department to get there and waited until they cleared the scene. It turned out that some idiot kid had burned a tv diner and left the house. But how the fuck was I supposed to know? What if there was a kid in there and a real fire and I didn't do anything because I was on the job and needed the money.

So I went to the next house and the guy bitched at me. He didn't even give a fuck about a potential fire or that I cared enough to stick around. THAT is your fucking attitude. That is the type of attitudes that create unsafe working conditions. That is the attitude that causes oil spills. That is the attitude that gets people killed.

Even on my current job, with my last owners. They tried desperately when the floor got wet, to get me to use the mop. The mop only gets the floor so dry. "Just put the wet floor sign there" was a CYA thing. I didn't give a shit. That floor had to stay dry ALL THE TIME no matter what so people would not slip on it.

I used a dry rag because it got the floor bone dry immediately. It certainly cost more to use rags. But I didn't give a fuck. If a co-worker slipped on it or a customer that would cost the business far more in the long run, not to mention the more important aspect that A HUMAN could get hurt.

So I find it funny that I care more about human life than you do. Thanks for showing us your true colors. MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY, thats all that counts.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Here is the thing, no one

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Here is the

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Here is the

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

"I didn't tell you to speed", AGAIN, no they don't, but they prey off the fact that people need jobs and create the atmosphere, the climate that can cause someone to speed. Greed for the tip, or fear of losing your job.

Same blackmail bribery scheme as the God of Abraham.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
"Fast delivery" as a

"Fast delivery" as a business model, when we are talking about humans driving on public roads is a recipe for disaster. It has happened in the past and will happen again because money, not safety, is their priority. "Safety" is pr crap they do to cover their ass.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Tapey

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
The same can be said for "on

The same can be said for "on time" flights and "no frills" flights. Both those marketing ploys set up a climate for disaster, the faster that company goes and the more corners they cut, the more unsafe that flight can be.

Air Florida was a result of that. It was too cold to fly, but because of the company's attitude and the rush to de ice the wings, which was not sufficient, it caused the death of all but 6 on board. And the impatience caused by the "on time" motif creates impatient fliers who put pressure on the flight to take off, even if safety is an issue.

No one told people to buy the tickets, no one told the employees to get a job and end up flying on that plane, so by some people's standards they shouldn't have been allowed to sue.

Again, legal and moral are two separate issues.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

So your argument is "it could be worse"? Pathetic. Ok, so lets get involved in their race to the bottom just because we have it better?

No, the idea is to IMPROVE, not back peddle to lower standards.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Tapey

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

So your argument is "it could be worse"? Pathetic. Ok, so lets get involved in their race to the bottom just because we have it better?

No, the idea is to IMPROVE, not back peddle to lower standards.

No, my arguement is that they have ways to improve there conditions. If they choose not to do it that is there fault they let someone else put them in that position. If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.

 

You seem to expect rich people just to treat poor people nicely. There is no incentive to do that. Why would they when they are making money? Poor people in these jobs must take the initiative if they want better working conditions not just wait for someone to fix it. No one is going to fix your problems for you, that is the message you should be taking.

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

So your argument is "it could be worse"? Pathetic. Ok, so lets get involved in their race to the bottom just because we have it better?

No, the idea is to IMPROVE, not back peddle to lower standards.

No, my arguement is that they have ways to improve there conditions. If they choose not to do it that is there fault they let someone else put them in that position. If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.

 

You seem to expect rich people just to treat poor people nicely. There is no incentive to do that. Why would they when they are making money? Poor people in these jobs must take the initiative if they want better working conditions not just wait for someone to fix it. No one is going to fix your problems for you, that is the message you should be taking.

 

Quote:
If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.;

SO THE FUCK WHAT. Unless the employee, and a mere driver cannot, unless they hire the same caliber lawyers the company has and can sustain them in a long term drawn out case, reporting them WONT DO SHIT. And it is a case of "he said they said". Extremely hard to prosecute in a "right to fuck the employee" state.

The company will simply come back with, "We didn't fire him because he wouldn't speed, we fired him because of his attitude," No way for the driver to prove they wanted him to speed or drive in dangerous conditions. No way to prove that he got fired for that reason because of the "wink wink" loopholes and the way they train managers.

I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN IT. I have seen drivers get fired not because they did anything wrong, but because they wouldn't risk their lives or their vehicles. To say it hasn't happened or wont happen or cannot happen is delusional bullshit.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Tapey

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

So your argument is "it could be worse"? Pathetic. Ok, so lets get involved in their race to the bottom just because we have it better?

No, the idea is to IMPROVE, not back peddle to lower standards.

No, my arguement is that they have ways to improve there conditions. If they choose not to do it that is there fault they let someone else put them in that position. If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.

 

You seem to expect rich people just to treat poor people nicely. There is no incentive to do that. Why would they when they are making money? Poor people in these jobs must take the initiative if they want better working conditions not just wait for someone to fix it. No one is going to fix your problems for you, that is the message you should be taking.

 

Quote:
If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.;

SO THE FUCK WHAT. Unless the employee, and a mere driver cannot, unless they hire the same caliber lawyers the company has and can sustain them in a long term drawn out case, reporting them WONT DO SHIT. And it is a case of "he said they said". Extremely hard to prosecute in a "right to fuck the employee" state.

The company will simply come back with, "We didn't fire him because he wouldn't speed, we fired him because of his attitude," No way for the driver to prove they wanted him to speed or drive in dangerous conditions. No way to prove that he got fired for that reason because of the "wink wink" loopholes and the way they train managers.

I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN IT. I have seen drivers get fired not because they did anything wrong, but because they wouldn't risk their lives or their vehicles. To say it hasn't happened or wont happen or cannot happen is delusional bullshit.

Then do something about it. The USA is not China, no one is going to run you over with a tank for making a stink about this. At the end of the day it is a minimum wage job with no potential, quitting is probably the best choice you could make anyway. You are never going to find any financial success with that job.

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Here is the thing, no one expects you to put your life in danger delivering a sandwich, so don't. Problem solved. If a cusomer gives you crap about taking 6 minutes instead of 5 apologise, say little timmy fell down the well or whatever exuse you need to to leave and go on with your deliveries. A company simply cannot fire you for driving within the speed limit. If a company is forcing people to break the law in order to do there job employees have legal recourse. If they are not being expected to break the speed limit they are not forcing you to fast. Those are the speed limits because  they are safe.

Yes they do, I worked there. I worked during snow storms, ice storms and the managers ARE trained to push you to drive and since the state I work in is a "right to fuck the employee state", you could call in during dangerous conditions and not show up, and go in when the roads clear, and then get fired for not wearing the right pants when you KNOW why they really fired you.  LOOPHOLE. And even then they don't have to have a reason to fire you.

I worked there long enough to know what you are saying is bullshit. You don't drive in dangerous conditions, you can get fired, maybe not that day, but the managers are trained to look for excuses if you dont. I will say some managers refused to try to force you, but other managers didn't give a fuck, regardless of what the law says. These companies know that the employee cannot afford a lawyer so they cant fight the company even IF the company is breaking the law.

YES THEY DO EXPECT YOU TO WORK IN UNSAFE CONDITIONS, they do not give a fuck.

What is written in law IS impractical to enforce in a right to work state. There are ways around the laws in right to work states.

Look I do not know labour conditions in the USA. But here in south africa we have this complaints board some government thing I forget the name. Point is you complain that your working conditions are unsafe there and when they check it out and if you are right your company is in huge problems if they do not sort themselves out. If America doesn't have something similar joina union. I hate the unions but that is what they are there for. Workers rights.

So your argument is "it could be worse"? Pathetic. Ok, so lets get involved in their race to the bottom just because we have it better?

No, the idea is to IMPROVE, not back peddle to lower standards.

No, my arguement is that they have ways to improve there conditions. If they choose not to do it that is there fault they let someone else put them in that position. If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.

 

You seem to expect rich people just to treat poor people nicely. There is no incentive to do that. Why would they when they are making money? Poor people in these jobs must take the initiative if they want better working conditions not just wait for someone to fix it. No one is going to fix your problems for you, that is the message you should be taking.

 

Quote:
If the company is treating them badly they can report the company.;

SO THE FUCK WHAT. Unless the employee, and a mere driver cannot, unless they hire the same caliber lawyers the company has and can sustain them in a long term drawn out case, reporting them WONT DO SHIT. And it is a case of "he said they said". Extremely hard to prosecute in a "right to fuck the employee" state.

The company will simply come back with, "We didn't fire him because he wouldn't speed, we fired him because of his attitude," No way for the driver to prove they wanted him to speed or drive in dangerous conditions. No way to prove that he got fired for that reason because of the "wink wink" loopholes and the way they train managers.

I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN IT. I have seen drivers get fired not because they did anything wrong, but because they wouldn't risk their lives or their vehicles. To say it hasn't happened or wont happen or cannot happen is delusional bullshit.

Then do something about it. The USA is not China, no one is going to run you over with a tank for making a stink about this. At the end of the day it is a minimum wage job with no potential, quitting is probably the best choice you could make anyway. You are never going to find any financial success with that job.

 

Holly shit do you have your head up your ass. Way to pull a Herman Cain, "If your not rich it's your fault".

An honest job is an honest job and not all people are out to get rich. Being poor is not a crime nor should someone who is have to starve to death because of attitudes like yours. YOUR ATTITUDE will make us a third world country.

Do you masturbate over pictures of China and India's sweat shops? "I want to be just like them, cheap slave labor".

I dont give one fuck what someone does for a living. EVERY JOB IS NEEDED and if the are honest in doing it they deserve support. Otherwise do everything yourself with no fucking help at all.

"Let them eat cake"

Next time you go into a McDonnalds or see a janitor or trash collector, you tell them to their face they are losers because they don't have what you have. I dare you.  If you don't want to be treated like a snob, don't fucking act like one.

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Holly shit do

Brian37 wrote:

Holly shit do you have your head up your ass. Way to pull a Herman Cain, "If your not rich it's your fault".

An honest job is an honest job and not all people are out to get rich. Being poor is not a crime nor should someone who is have to starve to death because of attitudes like yours. YOUR ATTITUDE will make us a third world country.

Do you masturbate over pictures of China and India's sweat shops? "I want to be just like them, cheap slave labor".

I dont give one fuck what someone does for a living. EVERY JOB IS NEEDED and if the are honest in doing it they deserve support. Otherwise do everything yourself with no fucking help at all.

"Let them eat cake"

Next time you go into a McDonnalds or see a janitor or trash collector, you tell them to their face they are losers because they don't have what you have. I dare you.  If you don't want to be treated like a snob, don't fucking act like one.

 

Putting words in my mouth. All I have said is if you do not do anything about things you do not like in life nothing is going to change. So do something. Obvious statement is obvious. Don't recall any statement about me liking or not liking the way things are. Clearly that means I desire a return to slave labour. If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

 

At least refrain from making stuff up. That is all I expect.

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Holly shit do you have your head up your ass. Way to pull a Herman Cain, "If your not rich it's your fault".

An honest job is an honest job and not all people are out to get rich. Being poor is not a crime nor should someone who is have to starve to death because of attitudes like yours. YOUR ATTITUDE will make us a third world country.

Do you masturbate over pictures of China and India's sweat shops? "I want to be just like them, cheap slave labor".

I dont give one fuck what someone does for a living. EVERY JOB IS NEEDED and if the are honest in doing it they deserve support. Otherwise do everything yourself with no fucking help at all.

"Let them eat cake"

Next time you go into a McDonnalds or see a janitor or trash collector, you tell them to their face they are losers because they don't have what you have. I dare you.  If you don't want to be treated like a snob, don't fucking act like one.

 

Putting words in my mouth. All I have said is if you do not do anything about things you do not like in life nothing is going to change. So do something. Obvious statement is obvious. Don't recall any statement about me liking or not liking the way things are. Clearly that means I desire a return to slave labour. If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

 

At least refrain from making stuff up. That is all I expect.

 

Life is not a script. Someone sold you the bullshit idea that life is a script. You start out low and you move up.

BULL FUCKING SHIT.

Here is how life is in reality. We are all different and we all have different desires. If life is about being happy then YOU DO SOMETHING, stop assuming people have to do what you do to . Every job that is honest is valuable and the people that do those jobs should be valued. Our current pay gap does not show that.

If you don't want to be called a snob then don't fucking act like one.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you do want to be

Quote:
If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

Have you been having a three way with Cain and Trump. I'm asking because your breath certainly smells like it.

You are PROJECTING yourself on others. "They're bitching so that means they are jealous" How fucking self centered.

I DONT want to be rich. But the middle class and poor ARE getting their necks stepped on by the pay gap and cost of living.

This isn't about you. This is about OUR economic climate that is making worse for more and more people, BECAUSE of collective attitudes like yours.

"Fuck you, let em die, if they don't chase wealth".

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
While I agree with the OP, I

While I agree with the OP, I am unwilling to assume "evil" over incompetence in such cases as this. I can all too clearly see this kind of thing as the result of a brainstorming session in the ad department that focused completely on sales, and simply wasn't thought through to it's ramifications to society at large. I'd bet money that if someone had poked their head up in the meeting and mentioned the potential dangers and risks (in other words, if the legal team were present and somehow still awake) that it'd have been dropped immediately.
Of course, it's possible I'm being optimistic.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:If you

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

Have you been having a three way with Cain and Trump. I'm asking because your breath certainly smells like it.

You are PROJECTING yourself on others. "They're bitching so that means they are jealous" How fucking self centered.

I DONT want to be rich. But the middle class and poor ARE getting their necks stepped on by the pay gap and cost of living.

This isn't about you. This is about OUR economic climate that is making worse for more and more people, BECAUSE of collective attitudes like yours.

"Fuck you, let em die, if they don't chase wealth".

You know when I asked you not to make stuff up and pretend I said it. Here is another prime example.

 

Let me break it down fr you.

 

"If" - a conditional. Meaning you should deternmine whether this sentence applies to you.

 

"You want to be rich" - A statement following the conditional. When the statement is correct it applies to you, when it is incorrect it does not apply to you.

 

"it is your fault if you never try" When that statement is true then apply this.

 

Now let us put it together

 

Do you want to be rich? 

 

If yes

 

then

 

It is your fault if you do not try to earn more money

 

else

 

You do not want to be rich so this does not apply to you.

 

No where in that post did I say everyone wants to be rich. I broke it down for you in the hopes you would see it. Nowhere in that post did I say the poor did not have it hard, no where have a said we should let people die. No where have I called the system good.

 

I know you understand english so please stop being a troll and making up what other people say.

 

 

Now let me make this clear to you

 


IF YOU FIND YOUR SELF IN AN UNSAFE WORKING ENVIRONMENT THEN YOU MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DO NOT WAIT ON SOMEONE ELSE TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU. CHANCES ARE THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING.

 

That is litrally all I have said, I have not made any value judgements at all in this entire thread as to whether I like the way things work or not. I have simply stated the best course of action someone should follow. If you do not follow this course of action it is your fault if you get hurt (employer is also at fault). You are an adult who is capable of making rational decisions, you knew it was not safe to break the speed limit on delivery, you did nothing to stop this being encouraged, who else can you blame? Sure the company should have known better, they are at fault, you knew it was bad, yet you did it anyway, you are at fault as well. If you try to improve your working conditions but cannot then you are not at fault.

 

 

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

Have you been having a three way with Cain and Trump. I'm asking because your breath certainly smells like it.

You are PROJECTING yourself on others. "They're bitching so that means they are jealous" How fucking self centered.

I DONT want to be rich. But the middle class and poor ARE getting their necks stepped on by the pay gap and cost of living.

This isn't about you. This is about OUR economic climate that is making worse for more and more people, BECAUSE of collective attitudes like yours.

"Fuck you, let em die, if they don't chase wealth".

You know when I asked you not to make stuff up and pretend I said it. Here is another prime example.

 

Let me break it down fr you.

 

"If" - a conditional. Meaning you should deternmine whether this sentence applies to you.

 

"You want to be rich" - A statement following the conditional. When the statement is correct it applies to you, when it is incorrect it does not apply to you.

 

"it is your fault if you never try" When that statement is true then apply this.

 

Now let us put it together

 

Do you want to be rich? 

 

If yes

 

then

 

It is your fault if you do not try to earn more money

 

else

 

You do not want to be rich so this does not apply to you.

 

No where in that post did I say everyone wants to be rich. I broke it down for you in the hopes you would see it. Nowhere in that post did I say the poor did not have it hard, no where have a said we should let people die. No where have I called the system good.

 

I know you understand english so please stop being a troll and making up what other people say.

 

 

Now let me make this clear to you

 


IF YOU FIND YOUR SELF IN AN UNSAFE WORKING ENVIRONMENT THEN YOU MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DO NOT WAIT ON SOMEONE ELSE TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU. CHANCES ARE THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING.

 

That is litrally all I have said, I have not made any value judgements at all in this entire thread as to whether I like the way things work or not. I have simply stated the best course of action someone should follow. If you do not follow this course of action it is your fault if you get hurt (employer is also at fault). You are an adult who is capable of making rational decisions, you knew it was not safe to break the speed limit on delivery, you did nothing to stop this being encouraged, who else can you blame? Sure the company should have known better, they are at fault, you knew it was bad, yet you did it anyway, you are at fault as well. If you try to improve your working conditions but cannot then you are not at fault.

 

 

Bullshit. you were NOT just talking about working conditions.  You were dodging the fact that I stuck a mirror to your face because you made a statement looking down like a snob at those with less.

This thread is about one company skirting the law through "wink wink" loopholes. And when you say I am not doing anything about it, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THIS THREAD IS?

I am giving people something to think about. I don't have to be a famous activist or rich philanthropist to start the ball rolling.

And as far as the "troll" label, I've been here for many years. I may have my quirks and by no means claim to be perfect. But do not mistake passion for being a troll.

I think it bothered you that I merely pointed out far to many people in society are hurting and it makes you uncomfortable to look at your dwellings and status. Thats your problem, not mine.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Tapey


Brian37 wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
If you do want to be rich it is your fault if you never try.

Have you been having a three way with Cain and Trump. I'm asking because your breath certainly smells like it.

You are PROJECTING yourself on others. "They're bitching so that means they are jealous" How fucking self centered.

I DONT want to be rich. But the middle class and poor ARE getting their necks stepped on by the pay gap and cost of living.

This isn't about you. This is about OUR economic climate that is making worse for more and more people, BECAUSE of collective attitudes like yours.

"Fuck you, let em die, if they don't chase wealth".

You know when I asked you not to make stuff up and pretend I said it. Here is another prime example.

 

Let me break it down fr you.

 

"If" - a conditional. Meaning you should deternmine whether this sentence applies to you.

 

"You want to be rich" - A statement following the conditional. When the statement is correct it applies to you, when it is incorrect it does not apply to you.

 

"it is your fault if you never try" When that statement is true then apply this.

 

Now let us put it together

 

Do you want to be rich? 

 

If yes

 

then

 

It is your fault if you do not try to earn more money

 

else

 

You do not want to be rich so this does not apply to you.

 

No where in that post did I say everyone wants to be rich. I broke it down for you in the hopes you would see it. Nowhere in that post did I say the poor did not have it hard, no where have a said we should let people die. No where have I called the system good.

 

I know you understand english so please stop being a troll and making up what other people say.

 

 

Now let me make this clear to you

 


IF YOU FIND YOUR SELF IN AN UNSAFE WORKING ENVIRONMENT THEN YOU MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DO NOT WAIT ON SOMEONE ELSE TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU. CHANCES ARE THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING.

 

That is litrally all I have said, I have not made any value judgements at all in this entire thread as to whether I like the way things work or not. I have simply stated the best course of action someone should follow. If you do not follow this course of action it is your fault if you get hurt (employer is also at fault). You are an adult who is capable of making rational decisions, you knew it was not safe to break the speed limit on delivery, you did nothing to stop this being encouraged, who else can you blame? Sure the company should have known better, they are at fault, you knew it was bad, yet you did it anyway, you are at fault as well. If you try to improve your working conditions but cannot then you are not at fault.

 

 

Bullshit. you were NOT just talking about working conditions.  You were dodging the fact that I stuck a mirror to your face because you made a statement looking down like a snob at those with less.

This thread is about one company skirting the law through "wink wink" loopholes. And when you say I am not doing anything about it, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THIS THREAD IS?

I am giving people something to think about. I don't have to be a famous activist or rich philanthropist to start the ball rolling.

And as far as the "troll" label, I've been here for many years. I may have my quirks and by no means claim to be perfect. But do not mistake passion for being a troll.

I think it bothered you that I merely pointed out far to many people in society are hurting and it makes you uncomfortable to look at your dwellings and status. Thats your problem, not mine.

 

Maybe I will take a picture on my way to work tomorrow and upload it, I think maybe then you will see I am under no illustions, I know I am very privilaged for where I live (despite being what most people would call the lower end of the middle class). I litrally drive past shacks for 5 minutes straight as far as the eye can see every morning, probably well over 10 000 homeless people. If there is a day when there are less than 20 beggars at the traffic lights on my way to work it is a good morning. Trust me I need no reminder that there are lots of people in society hurting, nothing you can say in that regard is going to make me uncomftable.

You made a thread great, nothing more than a token gesture. I wanted a girlfriend so I put a message in a bottle and threw it out to sea. Lets just say it is not the most effective method. But this is besides the point, what I mean't was if you are in the position of having an unsafe job then do something about it. I was not reffering to you in particular but the person with the unsafe job. But I am happy if you think you are doing anything about it. As I understand it America does not have a strong working class culture (forgive me if I am wrong, never even been to America, but it is what I have been lead to believe), if you want the working class to be treated well they  need to stick together, you need class conciousness. you need that struggle between the rich and the poor marx was always on about, that is what protects the poor. If you are serious about improving the lives of the working class encourage unionization, encourage people to be proud that they are the working class, America stands on their shoulders and all that. I am of the impression you are working class and that you work in a restaurant and they are cutting your hours, speak to your co-workers about it. I am sure you must have by now, and I am guessing no one wanted to do anything or you probably would have already. That is the atitude you should be fighting, not me, I am telling you to do something (more than complain on a forum). Speak to your co-workers again or for the first time, encourage them stand up to the owners. They cannot fire all of you. And here I will understand if you get upset with me, and even if you do get fired so what, you got fired from a job because you stood up for yourself, why continue working in a place that does not value you? Die standing rather than living on your knees, all that good stuff. The rich can only exploit you as far as you let them.

 

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4280
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
 Yeah, food delivery isn't

 Yeah, food delivery isn't a high paying job and it is by its very nature dangerous. Your trying to get quickly from one delivery to the next, sometimes driving to unfamiliar locations and through varying levels of road conditions. It isn't the advertisement that makes it dangerous, it is the nature of the job itself. The same goes for any other job that requires a lot of driving. Do you have any evidence that Jimmy John's drivers are at higher risk than other delivery drivers? 

 

The people who do data collection for me have dangerous jobs, they drive a hundred some odd miles every day and are often stopping and going and looking for places while trying to do their job and make notes. Put it all together and the odds of getting into a car accident increase substantially compared to the average driver. I had a few close calls myself when I was doing it because you get so wrapped up in what your doing that your not paying attention the the other car whipping around the corner. I would feel very bad if something happened to one of my employees. I am sure that most managers/owners of delivery joints would as well, especially if the accident caused serious injury or death. I believe your assumption that everyone is greedy, selfish and uncaring has little relation to reality. While humans can often be negligent, most are not the heartless, greedy monsters you make them out to be. I mean look at the accusations you have leveled at me simply because we disagree on the best role of government. You seem to have the mindset that people either have to agree with you or they are the most evil greedy sobs possible. 

 

If it concerns you that much, don't order delivery from anywhere. For my part, when I order delivery I will make sure the driver is compensated extremely well. I will allow them the power to make the decision whether or not being a delivery driver is a good job for their needs. If you just want to say they aren't tipped well enough, I agree 100%. Too many people are cheap fuckers when it comes to tipping. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3200
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:The same

Beyond Saving wrote:
The same goes for any other job that requires a lot of driving. Do you have any evidence that Jimmy John's drivers are at higher risk than other delivery drivers? 

If it concerns you that much, don't order delivery from anywhere. For my part, when I order delivery I will make sure the driver is compensated extremely well. I will allow them the power to make the decision whether or not being a delivery driver is a good job for their needs. If you just want to say they aren't tipped well enough, I agree 100%. Too many people are cheap fuckers when it comes to tipping. 

I did pizza deliveries for a short while when I was in my about 18 or 19. I actually made pretty good money on the tips (oh there were alot of assholes that would try not to pay if you were one minute late and such). Some managers were cool about the stress that we drivers were going through and others were complete assholes. It varied and depended on the person. But overall, I got tired of the wear and tear on driving my vehicle and paying that insurance to the point that I just decided that it was not worth it. My first car, was the car that I was using at that time, and the thing was in raggedy enough condition when I had scraped up enough money to buy it. Constant  driving kept me in the shop more than not. About the only thing that I actually enjoyed about it was the flexible hours.

My late father drove trucks for most of his life. Before the age of computers and DOT trying to keep track of what everyone was doing. He could tell some stories about being pressured into driving on all night runs, and various times that drivers would get their loads to the warehouses, only to find that the warehouses were closed for the day and they would be stuck in that town overnight. Nevermind the fact that those places were closed, the company still wanted to bitch and complain about people being behind schedule. The trucking companies never cut drivers slack for bad weather conditions, nor for the fact that alot of road maps do not note low bridges that truckers can not get under, mechanical failures, flat tires and a number of other things, The companies always wanted to bitch about the truck drivers. Transportation companies and driver jobs, demand next to the impossible in performance.

But if truth were to be told, I have yet to work in any sort of position where the company did not generally have next to impossible demands. Oh there have been some exceptions , but not very many.


 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno