The World According To Americans

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The World According To Americans

Found this on the InnerTubes.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it! 

I like it!

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
And we have Sara Palin to

And we have Sara Palin to thank for making most Americans realize that Alaska is part of the USA. Unfortunately, Obama didn't do the same for Hawaii, I'd change Hawaii to Hula skirts. Also in the middle of Evildoerstan, you need Jesus' hometown.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Our economy sucks bigger

Our economy sucks bigger dick than John Holmes, but "We're number one".

That map sums it up.

Whats worse is that some fuckwads here think that because I bitch about what my government does makes me a traitor?

HOLLY MOTHER FUCKING FUCK! If anything we ARE "Number one" in protecting dissent.

I love my Mom, and I may love my co-workers, but that does not mean I agree with everything or like everything they do. Why should the country I live in be any different?

Our country has had done good and bad over it's history. Just like an individual human does good and bad in their life.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I like

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it!

Of course you do, because letting some other group be on the receiving end of negative emotion is always fun (oversimplification, I know.) But you are also allowed to express that view. At least... I think you are in Australia; I'm not a legal expert.  In other places of the world and, indeed, other commonwealth nations, there are thoughts and sentiments so toxic and destructive, that they cause irrevocable harm should they be expressed, and no one must be allowed to speak them. "God" forbid that anyone should make fun of your accent, or the accent of any number of fools advocating the integration of Church and State. It's "racism", in the UK anyways.

My point being, we at least pretend to take certain inalienable freedoms seriously even in our wonderfully "fucked up" state of affairs. No, we're not #1 anymore, but there are still things that many of us hold near and dear to ourselves; bedrock principles if you will; that fools and parasites have lost sight of... steadily and over time.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:BobSpence1

Kapkao wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it!

Of course you do, because letting some other group be on the receiving end of negative emotion is always fun (oversimplification, I know.) But you are also allowed to express that view. At least... I think you are in Australia; I'm not a legal expert.  In other places of the world and, indeed, other commonwealth nations, there are thoughts and sentiments so toxic and destructive, that they cause irrevocable harm should they be expressed, and no one must be allowed to speak them. "God" forbid that anyone should make fun of your accent, or the accent of any number of fools advocating the integration of Church and State. It's "racism", in the UK anyways.

My point being, we at least pretend to take certain inalienable freedoms seriously even in our wonderfully "fucked up" state of affairs. No, we're not #1 anymore, but there are still things that many of us hold near and dear to ourselves; bedrock principles if you will; that fools and parasites have lost sight of... steadily and over time.

I like it, but not because it puts the USA in a negative light, and I don't live there. It would have to do a lot more than simply trash America for me to react that way. And it does.

I like it because it so amusingly sums up the kind of common attitudes of US citizens to various other parts of the world, as well as its own self-regard, consistent with what I have come to expect from long experience from watching US shows and movies, listening to radio programs and podcasts, and visiting the place seven times.

Of course virtually all other countries display aspects that would drive any intelligent person to a face-palm, and I would probably also enjoy an equivalent treatment of Australia, if it also pretty accurately identified our common delusions. In fact, it is widely acknowledged that, unlike most US citizens, we have a strong tendency to poke fun at ourselves, almost to the point of not recognizing when we have 'got it right'. 

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/australian-sense-of-humour/

From there:

Quote:

Australian humour has a long history that can be traced back to our origins as convict colonies. It is therefore no surprise that a national sense of humour quickly developed that responded to those conditions. This unique sense of humour is recognised (although maybe not always understood) the world over as being distinctly Australian. Our humour is dry, full of extremes, anti-authoritarian, self-mocking and ironic.

So I think you have seriously misjudged things, as you often do, probably in not fully taking inte account how differently other people often see things, compared to your own somewhat quirky PoV, which you yourself have acknowledged, IIRC...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: BobSpence1

Kapkao wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it!

I live in America and am grateful to be a citizen. We do have freedom of expression where some countries do not. Does their lack of freedom mean I cannot poke fun at the knowledge of most US citizens? What is the point then of having this freedom? It is light hearted and humorous.

I like this quote

Bob Newhart wrote:

Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.

The ability to laugh at ourselves is a great strength and personally I know I took myself way to serious before (with god and baby jesus). To laugh at my foibles allows me to see it from a different perspective and change was a lot easier. I have heard others say this before and it is true in my case, one of the things that allowed me to let go of religion was George Carlin's stand up act. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

And it is flat which satisfies a huge voting demographic.

If the world weren't flat they couldn't draw it on a flat map. Good enough for me.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I completely agree with Bob.

I completely agree with Bob.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
BobSpence1 wrote:Kapkao

BobSpence1 wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it!

I like it, but not because it puts the USA in a negative light, and I don't live there. It would have to do a lot more than simply trash America for me to react that way. And it does.

I like it because it so amusingly sums up the kind of common attitudes of US citizens to various other parts of the world, as well as its own self-regard, consistent with what I have come to expect from long experience from watching US shows and movies, listening to radio programs and podcasts, and visiting the place seven times.

Of course virtually all other countries display aspects that would drive any intelligent person to a face-palm, and I would probably also enjoy an equivalent treatment of Australia, if it also pretty accurately identified our common delusions. In fact, it is widely acknowledged that, unlike most US citizens, we have a strong tendency to poke fun at ourselves, almost to the point of not recognizing when we have 'got it right'. 

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/australian-sense-of-humour/

From there:

Quote:

Australian humour has a long history that can be traced back to our origins as convict colonies. It is therefore no surprise that a national sense of humour quickly developed that responded to those conditions. This unique sense of humour is recognised (although maybe not always understood) the world over as being distinctly Australian. Our humour is dry, full of extremes, anti-authoritarian, self-mocking and ironic.

So I think you have seriously misjudged things, as you often do, probably in not fully taking inte account how differently other people often see things, compared to your own somewhat quirky PoV, which you yourself have acknowledged, IIRC...

Listen dill weed, you are not one to talk. You have slow bears. Pouches? What the fuck? And you have nerve when your country was started as a penal colony and ripped off our Constitution. AND HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PEE UPSIDE DOWN?

(note to self: Did I think this or type it?)

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog