Prove your god

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Prove your god

I do not recall who proposed this question or the exact wording but it was always one of my favorite questions to watch theists attempt to answer. Honestly as far as I am concerned this is a very simple question to answer but I like to see how others answer. The gist of this questions is :

A being appears in front of you and says I am God. What do you require for proof?

What do you tell / ask this being?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've set my standards

I've set my standards extremely low. I don't even need the god to appear before me. All I would require is that my foreskin miraculously regenerate before my eyes. (edit: forgot to say, "without any technological or medical intervention".) According to any theist worth their salt, such a tiny miracle should be a cinch. But. Never happened. Never will. I've always wondered, why won't god heal amputees?

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Breaking the laws of

Breaking the laws of physics. Suspension of space/time or gravity would probably be sufficient to get me wondering whether I was insane or god existed. Which would be a necessary transition on the way to theism.
I'd ask? Too much to type, but definitely have to figure out which, if any, religion were true.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nothing-do

I'd say that anything that could happen should have more probability to be something phisically possible than something supernatural. It could be an alien from the future, a being from another universe, but in any way even if it invalidates the laws of physics it's still bound to be natural, not a god (which is to be defined).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeepheus wrote:I do not

Zeepheus wrote:

I do not recall who proposed this question or the exact wording but it was always one of my favorite questions to watch theists attempt to answer. Honestly as far as I am concerned this is a very simple question to answer but I like to see how others answer. The gist of this questions is :

A being appears in front of you and says I am God. What do you require for proof?

What do you tell / ask this being?

Actually even if it could prove itself to me, I think considering all the crap this asshole deadbeat has allowed and or conducted under his watch I would ask, "Why are you such a prick allowing crime, disease, famine and war allowing us to kill over you?"

I think the immorality of such a concept as a claim is important to attack before you can even get the magician to show you how the trick works.

But, since we are mentally masturbating here, a blow job from Angelina Jolie would be quite tempting. It still would not convince me that this alleged god is good or worth worshiping. He still allows and watches 29 thousand kids in Somalia to die in one month, and the Holocaust and childhood cancer and pedeophilia. So even if God showed up and magically got Angelina to lick my lollypop, it still would not make this god worth worshiping.

But since thoughts cannot exist outside a material process, this "what if" question" can only be relegated to fantasy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
My answer

My answer to this questions wasn't asking for any proof. I personally would have to say to this being you already failed if you were god you would already know.

Yes this is very defiantly a fantasy what if type question because you could conjure any number of what ifs for just about any answer that someone could give. As I said initially I like to see theists answer this question.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, I see. I thought you

Ah, I see. I thought you meant it to be directed to everyone.

Yes, I agree, it's a fun question to ask theists. Just to see how skeptical they claim to be. Then you compare that to their experiences for how they actually came to believe in god (usually merely childhood indoctrination, but sometimes extremely silly and embarrassing 'miracle' stories like "I was frantic, looking for my car keys, and they miraculously appeared in my shoe when I tried to put it on" ) and you really get a sense for how much wishful thinking is behind god-belief.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeepheus wrote:My answer to

Zeepheus wrote:

My answer to this questions wasn't asking for any proof. I personally would have to say to this being you already failed if you were god you would already know.

Yes this is very defiantly a fantasy what if type question because you could conjure any number of what ifs for just about any answer that someone could give. As I said initially I like to see theists answer this question.

Sorry, I've been in a really bad mood lately since my new owner cut everyone's hours back, considering last year before the new kitchen manager took over, this shit didn't happen. Fact is he made more money this year and he did not have to hire this new kitchen manager on salary. He wasn't losing money then or now, it simply amounts to wanting to maximize profits. Plus he is trying to starve me to death because he doesn't like what the previous owner paid me.

So I guess I have had it up to my ears with god crap. Didn't mean to take it out on you.

I guess I am in no mood to deal with the fantasies of fictional god fans right now. Or republicans for that matter.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well, if the putative god can truthfully answer the question “are you a liar?” then we can start to work on all the other problems with the nature of god.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=