Quest for normalcy

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Quest for normalcy

I have already added "normal" to my religious beliefs on fb, I did this some time back. Wondering how many would be willing to say they are "normal" rather than "atheist".

I'm proposing that normal people do not believe in the supernatural.

Who's with me!

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1612
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
??? "normal" or "normalcy state" --

   Could you please clarify as to what you mean ? You have a typeo or making a reference to a "mental state" as in "a normalcy bias.." ?  I am confused.

  One other thing,  If you are using the word "normal"  Think about starting a second post without leaving us wondering.  Also, The moderators are very nice and   Con Mucho Gusto with a "NEW" Thread. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:
 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2402
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Sorry robj101.

 

 

 

                  Far too meny people who are theists also qualify as normal, regrettable but true.  I'll stay with the proud label "Atheist".

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

                  Far too meny people who are theists also qualify as normal, regrettable but true.  I'll stay with the proud label "Atheist".

Consider the rammifcations of being known as "normal" if you could make it stick.

 

How many theists don't believe in the supernatural? God = supernatural and unprovable. As I have said before nonsense without evidence.

The term Atheist is such an anti and pisses them off. I casually say ,"I am normal, I don't believe in any SUPERnatural stuff." when asked.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
In 100 years if/when

In 100 years if/when religion is gone will we still call ourselves "atheists" or will we be "normal". The thought of belief in gods in the future will be a load of superstitious nonsense, at least I hope so.

Why not get a head start.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Guess I'm just really fukin

Guess I'm just really fukin weird. The term atheist propogates dissent by default with the term "theist" and I guess we "enjoy the controversy". I was unaware, though that sounds suspiciously like a creationist's idea to "teach the controversy".

Once again, I guess I'm just fukin weird if either no one gets this or thinks being normal would not be "neat" enough or something.

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


peto verum
atheist
Posts: 46
Joined: 2011-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Normal has the implication

Normal has the implication of status quo.   I'm the only normal person I know the rest of ya'll are nutz!!   The status quo on local religious views is not one I care to be associated with.  I agree that not believing in fairies, unicorns and omnipotent gods should be considered "normal"

KORAN, n.
A book which the Mohammedans foolishly believe to have been written by divine inspiration, but which Christians know to be a wicked imposture, contradictory to the Holy Scriptures. ~ The Devil's Dictionary


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I have already

robj101 wrote:

I have already added "normal" to my religious beliefs on fb, I did this some time back. Wondering how many would be willing to say they are "normal" rather than "atheist".

I'm proposing that normal people do not believe in the supernatural.

Who's with me!

Well, I'm not 'normal', as in 'average', so I'd actually resent being labelled 'normal'.

How about putting 'Realist', in the place of 'Normal'?

 

Theists don't seem to realize that 'spiritual' is not interchangeable with 'religious', or 'god fearing', or that they do not have any legitimate reason to not consider that atheists can be 'spiritual'...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Guess I'm just

robj101 wrote:
Guess I'm just really fukin weird. The term atheist propogates dissent by default with the term "theist" and I guess we "enjoy the controversy". I was unaware, though that sounds suspiciously like a creationist's idea to "teach the controversy".

 

Once again, I guess I'm just fukin weird if either no one gets this or thinks being normal would not be "neat" enough or something.

 

Trust me on this, even if you are weird, we still like you.

 

Personally, I like the term atheist. It gets shit right out of the way for the most part.

 

Finding another word seems to me as if it clouds the issue. I will occasionally refer to myself as a nihilist but most people (even most atheists) don't really understand what I mean by that and hey, we have cookies.

 

But seriously, calling myself a normal would carry the same objection as attends the brights movement. Specifically, that everyone not in the club is the opposite. If you believe in god then you are neither bright nor normal. Do you see why this is a problem?

 

Granted, lots of people (GW Bush comes to mind) are neither bright nor normal and happen to be theists. However, there are a few theists who clearly don't deserve either tag.

 

Georges Lematrie was the father of the theory now called the big bang. He was also a Jesuit priest. He never called it the big bang though. That name came from a derisive remark from the atheist Fred Hoyle.

 

BTW: Fred Hoyle was an antievolutionist also. This despite the fact that he thought that the universe was infinitely old. Go figure.

 

Max Planck was one of the fathers of quantum mechanics and an elder in his church.

 

I could go on but that is enough to make my point.

 

The world is full of contradictions and calling myself by a word that is not to the point does not make the situation all that much easier.

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I'm not with you Rob. Only

I'm not with you Rob. Only on this issue.

Why?

Because evolution isn't about what you want or what theists want. "Normal" is even the things we disagree with. The only difference between theists and atheists is that "normal" to us isn't conflated to the fantastic or absurd.

IT IS normal for people to believe false things. But since evolution isn't focused on utopias, the fact that people group around bullshit claims is NORMAL. Not because it is ideal or desirable, but because we observe it and can document it.

It was NORMAL for me as a kid to believe that babies came out of the ass and not the vagina. I literally believed that. Believing false things IS NORMAL. Normal isn't us vs them, it simply reflects the human psychology that leads ALL humans to better answers verses placebos. BUT it is still a range.

Don't stoop to their level. Normal to them is magic. Normal to us is the reality that people can come to bad conclusions.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Well I have already

Well I have already irritated a couple of theists by saying I am "normal" yet they have a problem refuting the superstitious part. Even they know ghosts and goblins are not real yet cling to the god thing.

Maybe believing in superstitious stuff is normal for someone who believes in things without evidence. So you all are saying normal is exactly that, believing in fairy tales etc. So we are "abnormal"? huh?

You can't break this word down and give it consistency eh?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:robj101 wrote:I

redneF wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I have already added "normal" to my religious beliefs on fb, I did this some time back. Wondering how many would be willing to say they are "normal" rather than "atheist".

I'm proposing that normal people do not believe in the supernatural.

Who's with me!

Well, I'm not 'normal', as in 'average', so I'd actually resent being labelled 'normal'.

How about putting 'Realist', in the place of 'Normal'?

 

Theists don't seem to realize that 'spiritual' is not interchangeable with 'religious', or 'god fearing', or that they do not have any legitimate reason to not consider that atheists can be 'spiritual'...

Because saying you are "normal" in this whole field of religion and superstition pisses them off and makes them think. Saying you are an atheist just pisses them off and turns on their lucky charm bracelet.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I have been considering this

I have been considering this whole "controversy" thing which is not really getting anywhere. When you say atheist, like a turtle they suck their head up in their shell. We need a new approach IMO.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin