beating a dead horse tied to the "Hitchen" post

BookofJob
Theist
User is offlineOffline
beating a dead horse tied to the "Hitchen" post

For the real central 'dogma' of Jesus see Matthew 22:36-40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMo5R5pLPBE

At “Freedom Fest” Christopher Hitchens claimed the central dogma of Jesus was ‘take no thought for tomorrow’ , which comes from Matthew 6:34. This was after "granting" what can only be described as several miracles (for the sake of argument) but 'give you that' he did. He then misunderstands 17th century English (athiest love the King James read in a modern way for sure) and critiques Jesus on what a silly idea 'take no thought for tomorrow' is.

Keep in mind he 'gave' several non scientifically explainable events proclaimed in the Bible. "Rational"?....or just faulty logic? He gave them though...and I am going to stand by that.

He left out verse 27 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? (New American Standard)

In a time of over the top materialism, keeping up with the Joneses, popping pills to get to slip, "bad economy", a culture designed to make you unhappy because you need the latest and the greatest......seems like Jesus is not out of step at all.

verse 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.(New American Standard)

Can anybody say 'fashionista'? Got to have this.....got to have that material item to make me happy.....buy buy...spend spend.

From Barnes Notes on the Bible:

“No thought - The word "thought," when the Bible was translated, meant "anxiety," and is so used frequently in Old English authors. Thus, Bacon says, "Haweis died with 'thought' and anguish before his business came to an end." As such it is used here by our translators, and it answers exactly to the meaning of the original. Like many other words, it has since somewhat changed its signification, and would convey to most readers an improper idea”

This is not unlike Nietzche, who condemned Jesus quite harshly for "blessed are the meek" from the Beautitudes but was oblivious (or dishonest) about the older English meaning of "meek". Is not the classic Western hero "gentle"? he is not spiritless or docile...but even Superman is 'gentle and kind' most of the time, until the bad guys show up!

Meek

humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others.

overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.

Obsolete . gentle; kind.

“Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.”

Matthew 5:5 New American Standard

“The New American Standard Bible is widely regarded as the most literally translated of 20th-century English Bible translations.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_American_Standard_Bible

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are the one 'beating a

You are the one 'beating a dead horse', fishing through that mish-mash of inconsistent writing for quotes you can read something into that sounds vaguely 'wise'.

Never could figure just what was supposed to be the message in that 'lilies of the field' passage - still can't. I don't see any obvious linkage to the idea of fashionable clothing in the modern sense, you are pulling stuff out of your rear end there. It's probably lost something in the translation somewhere along the line.

BTW, I also regard Hitchens as the least intellectually impressive of the 'Four Horseman', so it isn't too hard to find faults in many of his pronouncements. Not as bad overall as the Bible, mind you, but not up to the standard of the other three.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Frankly, the first

Frankly, the first definition of meek also works quite nicely for Pauline Christians.

Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you. - Hebrews 13:17

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.  For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.- Romans 13:1-7

This is why Christianity is such an empire friendly religion.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I came to your house,

If I came to your house, knocked on your door, stuck a gun to my own head and said, "If you don't love me and come and live with me, I will blow my own head off". And when that didn't work I aimed the gun at you and said, "If I cant have you no one can" and then aimed the gun at you?

What would you think of such a person?

The Jesus myth as written in the Bible is merely a repackaging of the vindictive OT God in an attempt to downplay the violence in the OT. But once you get to Revelations, this God goes straight back to beating the shit of dissentors.

The God of the bible is an abusive spouse stalker.

Husband God, "You didn't have my dinner on the table on time that is why I beat the shit out of you"

Husband God/Jesus, "Please don't leave me, I didn't mean to hit you, I just wanted my dinner on time. If you leave me I will kill myself"

Husband God/Jesus, "You did it again, FUCK YOU, IF I CANT HAVE YOU NO ONE CAN"

There is no way around the bullshit claim of "choice"

God is like a mugger who says, "You have two choices. You can give me your wallet and I'll let you live. Or, You can keep your wallet and I'll blow your head off"

The God of the bible myth AS WRITTEN, does not reflect a mentally healthy state. It reflects one of infantile insecurity and childish narcissism.

In reality if I want to quit  my job my boss cannot hunt me down and force me to come back. He cannot shoot me if I leave.

Threats and bribes don't work on us here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If I came to

Brian37 wrote:

If I came to your house, knocked on your door, stuck a gun to my own head and said, "If you don't love me and come and live with me, I will blow my own head off". And when that didn't work I aimed the gun at you and said, "If I cant have you no one can" and then aimed the gun at you?

He would need to be locked up.

I want to tweak your analogy.

I came to your house and put a guy to my own head and say, "You really are not a good person, but I love you so much I am going to shoot myself and you will think I am dead, but I am not because I want to make you a good person." BLAM. Next day "What you still don't love me or will allow me to make you love me?", pointing the gun at you I shoot you in the knee caps, then let you suffer awhile, then continue to shoot you in non-vital areas, saying "hey you had your chance"

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If I came to

Brian37 wrote:

The Jesus myth as written in the Bible is merely a repackaging of the vindictive OT God in an attempt to downplay the violence in the OT. But once you get to Revelations, this God goes straight back to beating the shit of dissentors.

The God of the bible is an abusive spouse stalker.

Husband God, "You didn't have my dinner on the table on time that is why I beat the shit out of you"

Husband God/Jesus, "Please don't leave me, I didn't mean to hit you, I just wanted my dinner on time. If you leave me I will kill myself"

Husband God/Jesus, "You did it again, FUCK YOU, IF I CANT HAVE YOU NO ONE CAN"

There is no way around the bullshit claim of "choice"

God is like a mugger who says, "You have two choices. You can give me your wallet and I'll let you live. Or, You can keep your wallet and I'll blow your head off"

The God of the bible myth AS WRITTEN, does not reflect a mentally healthy state. It reflects one of infantile insecurity and childish narcissism.

In reality if I want to quit  my job my boss cannot hunt me down and force me to come back. He cannot shoot me if I leave.

Threats and bribes don't work on us here.

Love it....  Hey I've been asked by the author of the Christian Delusion to co host his blog. Come check out some of my articles if you want everybody. 

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism