Newness Achieved

cojalen
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Newness Achieved

Hey guys, my name is Connor, and I'm new here.

A few things about me to break the ice:

I'm in college studying English and philosophy.

I have classified myself as a "weak agnostic" until thinking/reading more and perhaps concluding that I am an atheist.

Having just read that last claim, you may notice I'm not totally confident with my terminology and require more reflection on this whole thing, so please don't eat my head unless you really find it necessary. I need it to think clearly. =)

I prefer to learn and get along rather than dismiss and/or bash others in front of or behind their back (unless totally necessary), but I'm completely open to others bashing/dismissing me, regardless of their position relative to my back. I've found that's how things work quite a bit of the time not just for me, but for others as well.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot by reading and discussing with all of you!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Look through the

Welcome. Look through the post and read what you're interested in and post your ideas or questions.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there You may find this

Hi there

You may find this book interesting if you haven't come across it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Reasons-People-Give-Believing-God/dp/1591025672/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306082521&sr=1-1

50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God: Guy P. Harrison

Comes on Kindle as well and was in my local library.  So you don't have to spend money to read it.  After 20+ years of claiming to be agnostic, my husband read it and "converted" to atheism.  Yay!

Post early and often.  Try the "Recent Posts" link for current topics.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum 

welcome to the forum

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
To quote Obe Wan from the

To quote Obe Wan from the original Star Wars upon arriving at Moss Isly space quarters, "You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villainy"

(Note to self: Did I think this, or type it)

That is my silly way of saying welcome.

Anywho. ultimately to me there is only one primary reason to reject any and all god claims, past and present, monotheist and polytheist, lack of evidence.

There has never been or ever will be an example of a thought arising out of a non-material process. Much less thoughts coming from comic book super heros with magical super powers.

I reject all disembodied non-material invisible super brain claims. You can call this "entity" god or God or Thor, or Vishnu or Allah, and they all require you to swallow a magical invisible friend claim.

Thoughts require a material process to manifest, thus making god claims absurd.

There certainly are moral reasons to specifically reject the god/s of Abraham. The character of the Hebrew/Christian/Muslim tradition is a god of tyranny and revenge. A god who wont stop human suffering, even that of the most vulnerable and innocent and then blames their suffering on the rigged game he set up.

The truth of ALL god claims is that they are merely the refection of human ignorance and a placebo people use to cope with the fact they ignore in that our species is ultimately finite.

There is no heaven, no hell or utopia of any kind. All god claims will die when our species goes extinct because there will be no future generation to sell the myths to.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog