The Star of David, the Crescent Moon, The Cross, and the Apple Logo... wait, what?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Star of David, the Crescent Moon, The Cross, and the Apple Logo... wait, what?

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/apple-tech-evokes-religious-response-from-fanboys-957163

Apple products evoke religious responses among apple fanboys. Interesting...

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

ZeroSignal
atheist
User is offlineOffline
They don't call it Cult of

They don't call it Cult of Apple for nothing.  

I have nothing against computer tech, but its overpriced and over marketed.  Like religions, "we have the best religion, and the price is you won't go to hell!"

____

The bible, good fiction? A 3 year old can write a better story.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
actual article

actual article wrote:

Scientists say Apple and religion stimulate brain in same way

whoopdeefuckindoo

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, Apple is not perfect,

Yes, Apple is not perfect, but they rarely sink to the depths of Vista.

I work with both systems, and also with a version of Linux for a while. I replaced the Linux on a PC box with Windows 7/64, after endless frustration.

The major success of their iOS devices - iPhone, iPad, iPod - where they are very price competitive, gives the lie to the OP. Even their desktops have demonstrated there is a place for that kind of feature-set.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a mac guy that made a

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/apple-tech-evokes-religious-response-from-fanboys-957163

Apple products evoke religious responses among apple fanboys. Interesting...

I see a similar response when my friend looks at a cannabis leaf. He has it tattooed and can preach passionately for hours about the amazing, optimal content of fats and amino-acids in hemp seed and thousands of uses for the plant. 

But which part of the brain is it, that lights up on religious feelings?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe that's why people are

Maybe that's why people are willing to ignore their abuses of workers and consumers.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 BobSpence1 wrote:Yes,

BobSpence1 wrote:
Yes, Apple is not perfect, but they rarely sink to the depths of Vista.

I work with both systems, and also with a version of Linux for a while. I replaced the Linux on a PC box with Windows 7/64, after endless frustration.

Well, I can see how that make a fair bit of sense from a programmer's POV. Obviously every OS is different and what works in one is in no way certain with others.

Certainly Vista was just a bad product from beginning to end. If you look back at the development history, MS pretty much failed to bring longhorn to market and they pasted what ultimately were kind of cosmetic features from that on top of a beta version of one of the XP service packs. In all honesty, that history is so damned close to what MS did in trying to run WinME to market that I call Vista out as ME 2.0.

Apple for it's part is not trying to be all things to everyone and arguably could benefit from that approach in any number of ways.

Linux, well in my limited experience, everything that is or could be right with linux can easily be a liability. One that I have run into is if you try to get help from the user base. The same people who talk among themselves about how any day now, they are going to break out and be the windows crushing alternative will not answer simple questions. Pardon me? You want to replace windows but you are not going to allow people who just want a computer that works into your private club? How does that work out for you?

Apart from that, I see a problem with the article in the OP.

From what I am reading, they only did a brain scan on one individual they pulled from a crowd of apple fans. That is a statistical base of one and not even randomly selected. One might just as easily pull one individual from a street fair in San Francisco and make sweeping conclusions about all gay men everywhere. Umm, why doesn't that work again?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
AIG,My problems with MS OS's

AIG,

My problems with MS OS's are as much, if not more, with the user interface, and the very confusing way some things are set up, especially network settings. If they were actually trying to lay the ground for scam artists to offer to 'fix' your computer for you, they could hardly do better.

I can live with their API's, but not with their programming tools. I write and analyse the code on a Mac, just use 'Visual' Studio for compiling and debugging.

Your comments on Linux do seem to point to the same sort of things which I ran into, trying to solve 'bugs' and configuration problems, trying to get some coherent advice which actually matched my particular system.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The japanese keep putting

The japanese keep putting hello kitty on things like camera's and ipods, I wonder what we could make of that. Is there a secret cat worshipping cult trying to saturate our minds with their "god"? Hello.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin