Intelligent Design

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Intelligent Design

I need some help here if anyone can identify with this.

I heard a friend say that she believed more in Intelligent Design as a possibility, instead of the typical theist "Creation" method.

I've done a little research online, and have only found a few shitty links that want to watch a video about a guy who talked to aliens and gave him instructions for all of us.

Can anyone else shed more light on this subject..........Need Input.

Thanks,

Mr. O.

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Young-Earth Creationism
  Young-Earth Creationism Old-Earth Creationism Intelligent Design Age of the Earth What was created/designed? Who was the creator/designer? What was the mechanism of design? Evolution is… Noah’s Flood… Evolution and belief in God are… Wants ideas taught in public schools? Do humans and apes share a common ancestor? Claims to have science on their side? Why do scientists almost universally reject them?
6000-10,000 years old. ~4.5 billion years old. We don’t know. And besides, it’s really not ripe for debate yet.
All “kinds” (baramin) of living things. All “kinds” (baramin) of living things. Some feature(s) of the universe, including but not limited to living things, although it’s not clear which feature(s) of living things were actually designed.
God of the Bible. God of the Bible. Some unknown and unknowable “intelligence”, which we coincidentally happen to believe is God of the Bible.
Divine intervention. Divine intervention. We don’t know, but we know it can’t be “natural”, which implies divine intervention.
The cause of most of society’s ills. The cause of most of society’s ills. The cause of most of society’s ills.
Was global in scale and occurred about 4000 years ago, exactly as described in Genesis. May have been local or global; may have occurred a long time ago or more recently, depending on who you ask. “They’ll ask, ‘What do you think of Noah’s flood?’ or something like that. Never bite on such questions because they’ll lead you into a trackless wasteland and you’ll never get out of it.”
Incompatible. Incompatible. Incompatible.
Yes. Yes. Yes. I mean no. I mean yes. I mean, look, we’ve been consistent and clear on this, so what’s the problem?
No. No. Usually no. Occasionally yes. Sometimes I don’t know. And sometimes both no and I don’t know at the same time.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
Because they’re all a bunch of atheists, libruls, and ivory tower elitists who can’t be trusted. Because they’re all a bunch of atheists, libruls, and ivory tower elitists who can’t be trusted. Because they’re all a bunch of atheists, libruls, and ivory tower elitists who can’t be trusted.

ID is simply sneaky creationism by theists and Christians that want to appear scientifically objective.  They are sort of neo-orthodox creationists.  Some ID folk believe that god used evolution to create.

Finally Wiki:

Intelligent design is the proposition that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."[1][2] It is neo-creationism, a form of creationism restated in non-religious terms.[3] It is also a contemporary adaptation of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, but one which deliberately avoids specifying the nature or identity of the intelligent designer.[4] Its leading proponents—all of whom are associated with the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank[n 1][5]—believe the designer to be the God of Christianity.[n 2][n 3]

It seeks to redefine science in a fundamental way that would invoke supernatural explanations, a viewpoint known as theistic science. It puts forward a number of arguments, the most prominent of which are irreducible complexity and specified complexity, in support of the existence of a designer.[6] The scientific community rejects the extension of science to include supernatural explanations in favor of continued acceptance of methodological naturalism,[n 4][n 5][7][8] and has rejected both irreducible complexity and specified complexity for a wide range of conceptual and factual flaws.[9][10][11][12][13][14]

Intelligent design was developed by a group of American creationists who revised their argument in the creation–evolution controversy to circumvent court rulings such as the United States Supreme Court Edwards v. Aguillard ruling, which barred the teaching of "creation science" in public schools as breaching the separation of church and state.[15][n 6][16] The first significant published use of intelligent design was in Of Pandas and People, a 1989 textbook intended for high-school biology classes.[17] From the mid-1990s, intelligent design proponents were supported by the Discovery Institute which, together with its Center for Science and Culture, planned and funded the "intelligent design movement".[18][n 1] They advocated inclusion of intelligent design in public school curricula, leading to the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial, where U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III ruled that intelligent design is not science, that it "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents", and that the school district's promotion of it therefore violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[19]

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal wrote:I need some

mrOriginal wrote:

I heard a friend say that she believed more in Intelligent Design as a possibility, instead of the typical theist "Creation" method.

I've done a little research online, and have only found a few shitty links that want to watch a video about a guy who talked to aliens and gave him instructions for all of us.

Thanks,

Mr. O.

Think of ID as "generic" creationism... it fits into many forms of theism.

As far as information about intelligent design and the controversy surrounding the idea, wikipedia's executive summary page has lots of links to various topics.

Here's a few topics I'd recommend:

First, read about teleology

Second, read about William Paley, Natural Theology, and the Watchmaker Analogy.

Third, read about David Hume and his evaluation of natural theology by way of is-ought problems

Fourth, read the modern versions of this, namely Irreducible Complexity, Specified Complexity and Anthropic Design Principle and critical appraisals of these on each article. Wikipedia provides tons of link in the bibliography for online reading. Also, check out talkorigins.org

I hope this helps...if you don't wan't to read everything, at least check out the high level stuff as it pertains to teleology, the watchmaker analogy, and is-ought problems. The rest of the articles deal with more specific issues.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

mrOriginal wrote:

Thanks,

Mr. O.

Think of ID as "generic" creationism... it fits into many forms of theism.

As far as information about intelligent design and the controversy surrounding the idea, wikipedia's executive summary page has lots of links to various topics.

Here's a few topics I'd recommend:

First, read about teleology

Second, read about William Paley, Natural Theology, and the Watchmaker Analogy.

Third, read about David Hume and his evaluation of natural theology by way of is-ought problems

Fourth, read the modern versions of this, namely Irreducible Complexity, Specified Complexity and Anthropic Design Principle and critical appraisals of these on each article. Wikipedia provides tons of link in the bibliography for online reading. Also, check out talkorigins.org

I hope this helps...if you don't wan't to read everything, at least check out the high level stuff as it pertains to teleology, the watchmaker analogy, and is-ought problems. The rest of the articles deal with more specific issues.

Yep just covert creationism trying to sneak into legal status ( see wiki quote above ).  When you get behind to the big players they are mostly conservative evangelical christians.   Ubuntu Studio rocks dude.  Linux user for 15 years and counting.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal wrote:I need some

mrOriginal wrote:

Thanks,

Mr. O.

It's your lucky day.

This woman will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the origins of all these 'scam' attempts to get creationism taught in schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenie_Scott

She was pivotal in the Kitzmiller vs Dover Area School District trials

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District

Here an hour+ long video where she talks quite at length about ID and YEC, and other attempts to 'teach god' as *cough* science...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FksY9SKNITw&feature=related

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris