I would love to talk with fellow atheists.

bittapudge
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I would love to talk with fellow atheists.

I'm sorry for massive amount of text, I'm just really happy to be on a site like this. Please, if you are a fellow atheist don't hesitate to add me on skype or windows live messenger.
(send me a message if you do want to add me)

My name is Samuel I'm 18 years old. I have been an atheist for 2 years now and an agnostic 2 years before that. before then i was a theist. I spent my early years being brainwashed by evil Sunday schools and primary education (I live in Northern Ireland by the way). I never questioned it when i was young as i just listened to what the adults told me. When i entered my teens i started questioning things, above all, morals and common sense. I always believed in evolution and carbon dating (not being smart enough to understand it fully I admit) though it never made sense to me with the bible. I thought to myself creationism and evolution cant both be possible, so i decided to go with the latter, as it actually went through the effort of explaining. I also disagreed with the churches opposition to homosexuality. As most heterosexuals I'm disgusted by the thought of homosexual acts (I'm also disgusted by the act of eating tomatoes but I would never try and convince people that eating tomatoes is a sin). Never, ever in my life did I ever think of it as a choice anymore than i chose to be heterosexual, the church and I differed on that and i thought I was just one of very few people who shared my views. Obviously all these questions that were never answered started me thinking about my beliefs. I also questioned the fact that there are multiple religions all contradicting one another. I thought to myself, 'they cant all be true. so that means people who were born in the wrong country or the wrong family were going to hell because they gambled on the wrong God.' My agnosticism finally developed when i had had enough of church. One day we were watching a video on a recent event in Africa and having people sent over to help, I realized that this video was not so much about feeding and clothing the Africans as much as it was converting them and 'saving them'. Originally it was just hate for organized religion but then it grew. for two years i considered myself agnostic on the grounds that nobody can disprove God doesn't exists (how foolish I was). I was Naive because i failed to realize that nobody could disprove the existence of 'invisible intangible secretly quiet ghost penguins' either, yet i didn't live my life with the assumption that they were real either. My atheism finally developed when a good atheist friend of mine (I was agnostic at this stage) introduced me to the infamous 'The God Delusion'. As it turned out I was never an agnostic. I was confused and assumed that agnostics were people who were anywhere between 1% and 99% sure there is no God. But as it turns out agnostics really are right on the 50% mark.
I live my life with the ideal that if God is so egotistical and vain that me being as good a person as i can be isn't good enough for him and that i also have to worship him like a spoiled king, then he doesn't deserve my faith.
If God prefers Ass kissers to free thinkers then heaven sounds like a very primitive place.
to quote Billy Joel 'I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints'.

Born again Atheist. My biggest fear (after insects) is that the atheist community will always remain small and quiet.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.

I be from Canada myself, near Toronto.

I heard a great joke from Northern Ireland, it seams a youngman was driving alone on a rural road during the trubbles of the early 1970's. When he gets stopped by gunslingers at a road block. They in civilian clothes an all he didn't know which side they be on. When the chief gunslinger put a sten to his face and asked "Are yee be protestant or catholic? "  the youngman screemed "I'm an Atheist!!!"  Then the gun slinger asks calmly "Aye lad; now be yee a green atheist or an orange Atheist?"

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

bittapudge
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thanks

I've heard that one before. lol

in belfast even the jews and the muslims are still either catholic or protestant.

Born again Atheist. My biggest fear (after insects) is that the atheist community will always remain small and quiet.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome read. I saw a few

Awesome read. I saw a few parallels with my own enlightenment, though I wasn't unfortunate enough to have to fight off brainwashing and Sunday school. My battle began when it hit me that people actually believed in such nonsense so much as to kill each other over it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

bittapudge
atheist
User is offlineOffline
i was lucky in a way. I

i was lucky in a way. I never had religion shoved down my throat by my dad or mother. but that didnt stop them sending me to sunday school. And primary education is horrendous, brain washing young children with religion. As far as i know in north America public schools cannot do that. But in the u.k (a supposedly much more atheist nation than usa) its fine.
correct me if im wrong btw

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It totally depends on where

It totally depends on where you are. Generally, Canada doesn't dissuade religious teachings by law/constitution the way the US does, and yet Canada also doesn't have Provinces and teachers constantly trying to teach creationism over evolution the way some States and teachers in the US do.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ManuAndres44
atheist
ManuAndres44's picture
User is offlineOffline
HI!

Hi! I'm new here and i was taking a look around and I found your message Irish guy.

First of all, allow me to say I'm agree with your perspectives and I hope we can stay in touch soon. I'd like to chat with you on msn or skype and I'd like to know where can I have your e-mail address. I'd like to share experiences. Hello to everybody in this nice community

Debate is the best way to share the knowledge